jfh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

ready to drink the kool-aid

It looks like I am about ready to head to Jones Town to drink the 29'er single-speed kool-aid. I have read the discussions regarding the Monocog, the On-One and the Juice, but wanted to know if anyone had other recommendations to look into regarding "reasonably priced" 29'er ss bikes (I am willing to build up a frame or buy teh whole thing, but don't want to go over about 800-1000). I also have been looking at the Q-Ball frames and they look like a possibility. Although I commute on a road single speed (now a fixie), I have never ridden a ss mtb, so I do not want to take the plunge too much.

Thanks for your suggestions.

jfh

Evil Jr.
    I took delivery of a Misfit diSSent just about a month ago. Very stout ride with a nice low standover. Give 'er a look see.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Look in to the 2007 Raleigh SS XXIX it's under your price range and is a great bike, I've only had to change the seat post to a Thompson. Then again I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs so I need Thompsons on all my bikes
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=341

Marty W

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't know about 29'er, but the SS Kool-Aid is cool and, oh, SO sweet! Yum!
    Waterford 1200 road bike
    Kona Kilauea SS conversion
    Fort CC.Onix singlespeed
    Surly 1x1 singlespeed

Single Malt

Rig

Take a look at the Gary Fisher Rig. I've had mine for about a year now, with no problems. This frame has vertical drop-outs with an EBB. You will want to choose between this design or horizontal drop-outs. I don't know which is better,but I think that the horizontal drops would make chain tensioning easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just a thought about horizontal vs. vertical drops with an eccentric BB.

In a race recently, a friend flatted on his horizontal dropped SS. He got the rear wheel off, tire off, new tube in, no problem. The difficulties arose when it was time to get the rear wheel back on and the chain retensioned. It was just hard to get the alignment right, the tension, etc. At any rate, it took too long for racing purposes. It's the kind of thing that wouldn't matter so much on a BMX bike, but on a mountain bike just doesn't make sense.

If I was going to get a purpose built SS, I'd definitely go the EBB or eccentric hub route for this reason alone.

As for pitches for a 29er SS, my friend loves his Fisher Rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a Karate Monkey and I love it. But, if I were to be shopping for a frame today I would probably go for the Q-Ball. Quiring is a local to me builder so I like supporting the local guys. But, seriously the Q-Ball has a slick disc brake mount to be used with the rear facing dropouts. It makes it super easy to remove the rear tire and not have to mess around with disc brakes each time. The rear wheel removal on the KM is one my slight nit picks. The Q-Ball has a derailler (I never spell that right) hanger if you want to try something different.