Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SSolo
    Apr 2008

Raleigh XXIX, Redline Monocog, Haro Mary SS, Motobecane Outcast 29er, or?

Looking at picking up a steel framed SS 29er for fun, simple, quiet riding on some of the light to medium trails. I want 29er wheels, preferably disc brakes, and a suspension fork....I realize that these bikes don't come with front suspension, but that can be added now or later. Don't think that my hands and wrists can handle a rigid fork off-road.

After much reading around it seems these are some of the top choices....Raleigh XXIX, Redline Monocog Flight, Haro Mary SS, Motobecane Outcast 29er, or?

Today I sat on a red Raleigh XXIX in Large size and rode it around the bike shop....instantly felt very comfortable and a great looking bike! I think that I like EBB best for chain tension adjustment....nice to not worry about rear wheel alignment or slipping. Well when I got home this evening and researched....it appears red color is 2007 model, dark blue is 2008 model, baby blue is the 2009 model (only year of this frame with corrected geometry for 80mm suspension fork). How does the 2009 ride and fit compared to the 2007?

2009 Raleigh XXIX:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/xxix/

Didn't find specs and geometry for the 2007

Redline Monocog Flight 29er:
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ight-29er.html

Motobecane Outcast 29er:
    http://www.motobecane.com/MBUSAo29.html

Haro Mary SS:
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav5.php

Suggestions and input please!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Maybe ad the GT Peace 9r to your list?

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Pr...ard-Tail/#5802

I ride the 2008er since January, and I like it

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Add the regular Monocog to your list. Along with the Outcast, best bang for the buck, if you can find one for under 5 clams. If money's not so much an issue, I'd be going with the Jabber

Disabled Vet
    I've read that some EBB's can be problematic,so I would check into that before I assumed it's the "best" way for chain adjustment...just a thought (never had a prob outta my trackends).
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

I have red hair

Raleigh for shore

+1 for the XXIX

I have one (2008 in a large), my boss has one (2007 large), and my best friend has the Redline. I definitely like the Raleigh better than the Redline, which makes sense, because the Raleigh comes with a better parts spec.

I like Raleigh as a company better as well, I had some hassle with the shipping company damaging the frame before I even got it, and to make a long story short, Raleigh got me a new frame in two days. The Raleigh has my vote (not at all swayed by the fact that I work at a shop that sells Raleighs )

None of the bikes you listed are terribly light, but all are great bikes. You can't go wrong with a 29er SS, so get one and get ready to have a ball

They call me Shoogs
    Kona Unit 2-9

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    All great suggestions, keep em coming. Problem with buying just a frame, is I want to ride one at least around the parking lot before I buy it....difficult to do with some of these bikes. Money matters, but better to buy the right bike first time....hard to justify $1600 for an SS though....the Felt Nine Solo is $1649??? Uh, there's less parts on the bike...shouldn't it cost less than my geared suspended bikes?

Wish more shops carried steel SS 29ers around here........

EDIT: I really need to ride before I buy.....only rode 2009 Felt Nine Solo and 2007 Raleigh XXIX so far. I would try the rigid fork at least for a little while, but prolly want Reba for long-term use....most trails around here are not that smooth. Disc brakes really are nice for when the rim is kinda out of true....steel seems like nicer riding, but don't know first-hand. Looking for best value and upgradeable without needing immediate rebuild.

Ride and maintenance input is appreciated too.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 02-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you want a steel frame like you mentioned in your post then you should remove the Motobecane Outcast from your list. I have an 08' Redline Flight and other than the paint being a little thin it's been an awesome bike. I put a suspension fork on it but may go back to rigid because of the precise steering and compliant ride. The sliding drop outs haven't given me any problems like slippage and such plus the bike is very versatile because it comes with the options to run gears if SS isn't for you plus the bike comes with solid components for the price. I payed $780 out the door.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    We love them all... hard to pick just one.

HTFU and Ride
    Good deals to be had on a Voodoo Dambala 29er. Treefort

Whats your budget? You can get one for $799 and throw some BB7s on for like $50 a wheel. Suspension corrected for 100mm. Pick up a Manitou Drake for $330ish.

Steel, SS, 100mm fork, discs for 1200 aint bad!

BTW, i love my dambala
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    +1 for the XXIX Also. I take mine on some medium to heavy stuff, and gets by just great! But my brakes suck (the 07's had the bb5's), You cant really go wrong with any of the above mentioned though. The Raleigh is definitely pretty cheap compared to most, but still has a decent parts spec. I think mine was 750, just too bad they didn't continue with the dirty red paintjob. Quick side note, can anyone still get decals for the 2007 XXIX?

mtbr member
    i've been looking at the same stuff. i know you said you wanted a 4130 frame but check out the nashbar 9er. the new se stout looks pretty good as well. i would put my money on GT Peace 9er if your gonna spend $700-$800.
    of course my opinion is the right one, thats why I have it.
    "there's my chippy"

Got single track/speed?

$400 is just the down payment on an Outcast

I have an Outcast 29er. It's cheap and fun. I rode the heck out of it on some tough trails. Cheap, no name hubs will need lots of maintenance and will wear out. No disc tabs either. After the money I spent on it, it would buy a Redline next time from a local shop.

Replaced so far: rear axle, rear hub, grips, chain, freewheels, brake pads, pedals.
    Want to upgrade, but not worth it: 175 or 180mm cranks, wider bars, better stem, suspension fork (frame not suspension corrected), disc brakes (need fork + rear disc adapter + front disc hub)

I still ride it to the park and enjoy it, but now I have another 29er for real rides. At this point, I wouldn't sell it because it's not worth much money. Forget about the warranty too. It's not worth the paper it's written on. You'll pay the freight if there are any problems.

OTOH, for tooling around and light use, it's a great price. I never got a chance to try it as a fixie before the rear hub crapped out on me.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    +1 for the Redline. It is the more trail-worthy compared to the Raleigh. Brakes will be your first upgrade. Bigger wheels will reveal the weaknesses of most mechanical brakes, so expect this. Suspension...? maybe? ... you may find that you don't need it for your described use (light to medium trail). The Haro and Motobecane don't belong on the same short-list with with Raleigh and Redline, but that isn't exactly obvious to newer riders as a lot of these forums treat them as being equivalent. I also like the Kona geometry in this price-point. Also: consider the disk-ready RL Monocog with an immediate brake upgrade. -something nice that gaps the price difference to the Flight a bit, but comes out way on top in performance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will probably be picking up my raleigh this weekend, ill let you know what i think. I already rode it a bit at the lbs. I can hop decently on it which is more than i thought i would be able to do lol. This will be my first 29er as well as my first SS. im getting the blue 08 model.

mtbr member

Another vote for the Raleigh XXIX

Be good to yourself and get the Raleigh. I am on my second season on my Raleigh and love it. I have upgraded the brakes and wheel set, but I couldn't be happier with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog
    Be good to yourself and get the Raleigh. I am on my second season on my Raleigh and love it. I have upgraded the brakes and wheel set, but I couldn't be happier with the bike.
    did you have the wtb speed disc wheels? were they heavy? what did you go with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chanting in unison with SSdaveo:

Va-ssa-go
    Va-ssa-go
    Va-ssa-go.

mtbr member

Surly, Vassago

I couldn't agree more. However, neither of these fit the original criteria of being "test-rideable", stock bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why wouldn't the Haro belong on this list??? I love mine.. although mine is far from stock (I picked it up used that way). I can say for certain I would rather it over the original four.. and highly doubt the Vassago if similiarly equipped has any perceivable difference..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

?

Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    Why wouldn't the Haro belong on this list??? I love mine.. although mine is far from stock (I picked it up used that way). I can say for certain I would rather it over the original four.. and highly doubt the Vassago if similiarly equipped has any perceivable difference..
    ??????????

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What is the question GSO??? That Wet Cat Geometry isn't all that different... just a name. The Haro has shorter stays and a steeper headangle, both use Double butted Steel... both have similiar BB height and very short head-tubes...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So the Haro' geo is the SAME as the Vassago's?
    Similar isn't the same........the sum adds up to much larger than any one on it's own.
    I ain't hatin, I'm just sayin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Your right it handles worse than a Mary...LOL

Actually my real point was that the Haro is a great bargain for the money and in my opinion is better than the Redline, Raleigh and Motobecane by far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast