mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Raleigh XXIX EBB questions

I've had my 07 Raleigh XXIX for a couple of years now and have a few questions with the EBB.
    1) Does anybody else have problems with the set screws coming loose periodically. If I don't check it/retighten them at least once a week (every 80-100 miles), I'm almost certain to have them come loose one me. Anybody have any solutions to fixing this?

2) Are we supposed to replace the set screws periodically. Maybe a solution to question #1?

Feeling retro..but Jung
    I check mine before everyride it's like checking tires, I just grab the multi-tool and insure there tight..on this bike the seatpost is the problem

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris
    I check mine before everyride it's like checking tires, I just grab the multi-tool and insure there tight..on this bike the seatpost is the problem
    Its more the seatclamp than the post...switched mine out to a Salsa liplock immediately and it hasn't slipped once.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    I changed the post to a 400 from the 350 (too much play) put on a larger Q/R clamp just some 10 euro affair broke it trying to get it tight enough...put the OEM back on tightend it super tight with a reular allen vs mini tool and has hel for 2 days (keeping my fingers crossed) that is truly the only bad thing about the bike..the bike isn't expensive but its a steel rigid with no shifting and here is 699 euro so about $900 I think they could have put a better quality parts there..my rear hub now is leaking grease all the way down to the spoke nipple so I will let the shop fix that..again better quality part would be helpful. I am now a big fan of cartrige bearings as they cannot be taken apart greased and put back together but the seals are obviously not haging in there..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like how this turned into a seat post discussion.

My XXIX bb shell was larger in diameter than the O.D. of the eccentric. Over time, the steel shell got more and more ovalized, and effectively loosened the screws. I made a brass shim to make a much tighter fit between the two (and the shell had to be round again to make them fit together). The screws now stay tight, and I don't get any creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    interesting I hadn't even thought of that. Any pics of the brass insert?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I could take a pic, but I don't want to pull it out right now. Think beer can shim wrapped around the eccentric, but made of brass. We have brass shim stock in various thicknesses between 0.002" and 0.060" where I work.

The shim doesn't have to wrap all the way around. Instead of (for example) a 0.004 shim wrapped all the way around the shell, you can slide a 0.008" shim into the space between the shell and eccentric on just one side.

I hope this helps. It bugged me a little having to deal with the eccentric all the time on an otherwise super solid bike.

mtbr member
    Mine slipped everytime I went off a small (1') drop.

Hate EBB's, not worth the trouble.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KeylessChuck
    I could take a pic, but I don't want to pull it out right now. Think beer can shim wrapped around the eccentric, but made of brass. We have brass shim stock in various thicknesses between 0.002" and 0.060" where I work.

The shim doesn't have to wrap all the way around. Instead of (for example) a 0.004 shim wrapped all the way around the shell, you can slide a 0.008" shim into the space between the shell and eccentric on just one side.

I hope this helps. It bugged me a little having to deal with the eccentric all the time on an otherwise super solid bike.
    thanks,
    that makes sense

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i stripped the set heads on the set screws trying to get it really tight. I found hardened bolts tat were the same diameter but a bit longer wth 13mm heads. Tightened the **** out of them and havent had a problem since. I also wrapped it in teflon and marine grease to stop the squeaking. My BB shell is ovalized bigtime but i quit worrying about it.

The stock seat post clamp sucked. I overtightened it cause it kept slipping and then one day it just broke. I got a salsa non quick release and i havent has a single problem with it.

Iv been out of the loop for a while. Did niner end up making that ebb in a size that will fit the XXIX? The one that grabs the outside of the shell?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have an '08 that I purchased used and I started hearing like a clicking sound about once per pedal revolution at about the same point each time, could this be the EBB creak that I am hearing. I took it out last week and cleaned the shell and lightly lubed it with silicone paste (all I had at the house) but it still persists. the only other thing I could think of is the actuall BB making the noise. It has the original Firex cranks on it as well as the original GXP bottom bracket. The bike was only purchased in July so its not too old (use wise). Sorry if I sound like Im hijacking the thread, but it seemed to fit in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a similar creak but it only happens when standing. I think mine is either the ebb or my aluminum chain ring bolts are about to fail. I only say that about the bolts because I heard a similar creak on my other bike and the bolts failed soon after. I am going to pull the ebb and grease it, and hope that fixes the creak.

still young, right?
    My shell was becoming ovalized and the stock EBB insert would just not stay put. And the noise! Eventually, I replaced the set screw style insert with a nice Bushnell EBB. Costly, but it does not slip, ovalize the shell, nor make noise. I have heard Carver EBBs are also a good upgrade. I left the set screws in their holes (backed out a bit from the Bushnell, of course) and so far they have not shaken free.

I had the opportunity to borrow the Niner Bio-Centric and it does not fit. It is for a slightly larger shell size than the XXIX.

There are other posts on MTBR regarding the EBB with tons of info:
    XXIX with Bushnell or Carver EBB

Members who have read this thread: 0