mtbr member
    Jan 2004

raleigh rush hour

saw the ad in latest dirt rag, checked the site

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=264&va=0

any info on this? any idea of an MSRP on this rig? only thing is 48x15 stock fixed gear? 16T is more common and about as tall as i would want to go even in pancake flat ottawa.

it is listed as an 06 - anybody seen one up close and personal yet?

mtbr member

tall

Quote Originally Posted by dave66

any info on this? any idea of an MSRP on this rig? only thing is 48x15 stock fixed gear? 16T is more common and about as tall as i would want to go even in pancake flat ottawa.

And I thought I was riding tall at 46/16. I could ride it, but discomfort would ensue with such a tall stock gear. Its funny how companies are jumping into other options.

"Mr. Britannica"

Neato! ...but when will mfger's realize that people are buying these for road riding and gear the bikes appropriately? If you're buying for track riding you can't have brakes or levers. BTW, it's got those Campy-ripoff Tektro R200A levers (which are now back in stock).

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Neato! ...but when will mfger's realize that people are buying these for road riding and gear the bikes appropriately?
    I get the impression (especially from the bikeforums.net fixed/SS board) that a lot of people who run these tall gears are doing short distance city riding. Especially when I see all of the track bars with no tape that have the tops 12 inches below the seat. I don't see many people riding long distance with those setups. [zips on flame-proof suit]
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Enjoying Every Sandwich

any idea of an MSRP on this rig?
    I googled it and read a review on another review site somewhere that MSRP is like $575 or so.

Pretty nice ride. Saw it in DR also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [Gollum]Yesss, we likes thiss, donts we, precious, we wantses the nice bikesis, shiny wheelsies, one gearie, the way all bikeses should be, preciousss, yes

Gollum, Gollum!

our LBSSS sells Raleigsesses too, we will get this one, precious, oh yes we will, no nasty gearsies, no nastiy hobbitses can stop us from getting our precious...
    [/Gollum]
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

34N 118W

flamer

I think the city types are more into the DIY bikes & gearing, no? I don't see too many off the shelf bikes in the urban areas, except maybe the Bianchi Pista. Anyways, it seems like the mfrs are putting track gearing on a commuter because kool kidz want a track/fixie bike, but they really just need to get across campus. With f&r brakes, looks like a mixed message.

I see guys riding true track bikes too like you said....pista bars w/o tape, no brakes, etc. I can't imagine that's comfortable through the potholes. But man, they look cool

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    I get the impression (especially from the bikeforums.net fixed/SS board) that a lot of people who run these tall gears are doing short distance city riding. Especially when I see all of the track bars with no tape that have the tops 12 inches below the seat. I don't see many people riding long distance with those setups. [zips on flame-proof suit]

mtbr member

Motobecane Messenger

This one looks good to me;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hmm, wonder about the component mix, but the price is definitely right...

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame and fork!
    48/15 is ~86 gear inches, which is perfect for racing. (at least in these parts)
    Not sure about the 48/16 as a street gear. I run 42/16 fixed on the road and its still a wee tall. 39/16 would be a bit better for me, personally.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

messenger
    Jul 2005

Review of the Raleigh Rush Hour

Here we go, can I answer all of the stuff out there? Sure, I'll give it a go.

The Rush Hour should hit the stores soon and cost between $550 and $600 depending on the shop. I have been riding mine for a couple of months here in Seattle and in Portland, the gearing is a little high, but it is certainly ridable on hills. I have changed the bars to track because I think it looks better. Rocking the front brake, just a little cross-style intercepter and a road brake on the front. The pedals are definately the first thing that should go. The majority of the money in this bike is in the frame and fork, it's beefy, it's steel, it sucks up the bumps in the road, it's a lot of fun to ride.

A friend has a shop that carries Fuji, and I have ridden their entry level track, not as nice as the Raleigh though. So there's my thing, take it or leave it.

Cheers!

Case

SSlow rider
    How does the Rush Hour stack up as a SS? I like the fact that it's basically a nice off the shelf SS.

messenger
    Jul 2005

Raleigh RH as a SS

I'll tell you this, I have never ridden this bike as a SS. I got the prototype bike and it came with a fixed-fixed rear wheel. I don't think I would have gone with the SS option anyhow because I have something to prove by inching up hills with it fixed.

I would imagine this though: the bike is stiff but still maintains the forgiving quality of steel so the ride will be generally smooth and comfortable. The geometry is more track and less road, it's pretty tight and that makes it responsive and quick. Even with the fixed wheel I can corner as tight as I dare. It's a track bike feel for sure.

Cheers!

Case

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

why 15T?

i like the look of this bike and the spec, but a 15 T??? is it just to e different? odd = old skool? dunno - 16 or 18 seems to make more sense.

not really a question [unless the Raleigh product manager responsible is reading....] just an opinion

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

hunk 'o junk

i have seen the motobecane messenger

it is a p.o.s.

noname components.....just bad news..... can probably find a better bike at wall mart.....buy something else

messenger
    Jul 2005
    The freewheel side is a 16T, but I have to defend the 15T fixed cog. This bike is ment to be a SS or an entry level track racer, the 48/16 would be way too small to be effective on the track. If you're looking to ride fixed on the street, you should be willing to throw down $24 for a DA track cog. Not too spendy, and better than the stock cog for the stop and go of street riding.

Cheers!

Case

i like the look of this bike and the spec, but a 15 T??? is it just to e different? odd = old skool? dunno - 16 or 18 seems to make more sense.

not really a question [unless the Raleigh product manager responsible is reading....] just an opinion

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lug_junkie
    The geometry is more track and less road
    Could someone please explain this to a "never riden more than a mile on a road bike" guy.

Thanks.

Look at the time!
    "Track Geometry" = steep headtube angle (74 and more), short wheelbase. Makes the bikes very responsive / nervous.
    This is called "tight geometry" -> almost no clearance between front wheel and downtube / back wheel and seattube on a "true" trackbike

Also, the BB should be about an inch higher than on a geared roadbike for obvious reasons (...cornering), typically around 11.0-11.5". This can be found on almost every frame that is supposed to be used with a fixed gear.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs