Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    654

    Raise your hand if you have broken a SISS

    ...just wondering, because I broke mine yesterday, drive side chainstay crack.

    Where did yours crack?

    What did you replace it with?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Reputation: Endomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,418

    Right here

    Mine broke on the drive side chainstay just behind the chainstay bridge. It broke on the outside portion of the tube. I got a warrantee replacement frame and sold it without ever riding it. I replaced it with a Dean Titanium EBB frame. The SISS was a good introduction to SS but I had too many issues with it to continue riding it. I have been very happy with my Dean.

  3. #3
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,731
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    ...just wondering, because I broke mine yesterday, drive side chainstay crack. Where did yours crack? What did you replace it with? thanks
    Sorry for your loss. The SiSS is a junk frame.
    Mine lasted 3 weeks before a nice phat crack developed....where else? the driveside chainstay right behind the ring.
    My LBS was kind enough to warranty it w/ a 1x1 instead of a SiSS.
    Thanks heavens, since the 1x1 was better in every department, strength, comfort, fit, handling.. that bike lasted 4 months till it cracked in the same place.
    That was warranteed by Surly w/ an Instigator..which doesn't make a great SS bike at 35 lbs.
    My new Vulture is going on 6 months and approx. 2,000 miles and going strong. Wade made the rear end extra stout w/ a tandem-like rear-end.

    The SiSS is a wet noodle so all the frame flex it suffers along w/ focuses on that weak spot on the stay.

  4. #4
    Hοmo Velo
    Reputation: Biking Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    387

    Hand goes up

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    ...just wondering, because I broke mine yesterday, drive side chainstay crack.

    Where did yours crack?

    What did you replace it with?

    thanks
    Right here:

    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    654

    ahh, memories

    Thanks guys...will let you know what I end up with.

    I loved my SISS, we had such a great day together yesterday climbing in the Green Ridge State forest of Maryland. We were one with the trail for sure, rigid and single, I even had good legs and was spanking all the gearies. I must say I am a bit scepticle to ride another SISS or SASS.

    R.I.P. S.I.S.S. 10/7/2002 - 4/18/2004

    A picture of her and me at the last Dirt Rag Punk Bike Enduro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    357
    Does the 2004 S.A.S.S. have the same problem?

    What about my 2002/2003 D.I.S.S. aluminum frames?

    Chris Jones

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    654

    Yes and No

    Quote Originally Posted by c0jones
    Does the 2004 S.A.S.S. have the same problem?

    What about my 2002/2003 D.I.S.S. aluminum frames?

    Chris Jones
    My guess, is that YES, the SASS will have the exact same problem, as I believe it is the exact same frame, just chromed.

    I have not heard of any failures with the DISS or any other aluminum Bianchi singlespeeds.

    Hopefully Bianchi will get their steel singlespeed right soon and not scrap the idea...eventually as I break each one, maybe I will end up with a good one :-)
    Last edited by mtnpat; 04-20-2004 at 06:05 AM. Reason: add stuff

  8. #8
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,907

    Not yet

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    ...just wondering, because I broke mine yesterday, drive side chainstay crack.

    Where did yours crack?

    What did you replace it with?

    thanks
    Have been riding mine for a year, mostly like this, and haven't broken it yet. I have to think that perhaps there was a manufacturing flaw with a certain run of these frames, not an inherent design flaw, because it seems like theres a lot of SISSes out there that haven't broken. I mean, I weigh 200 lbs (or did) and routinely abuse mine. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before mine goes too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    83
    I do pretty much the same on mine and haven't broken it yet. I saw someplace that there was a manufacturing problem with the early SISS's and Bianchi realized it and fixed the problem. I got mine in October 2003. My frame is just like the SASS. It has the cable guide in the center of the top tube. I guess the early ones didn't have that. Not that it would stop this particular failure. It's funny. I used to weigh 200 lbs also. SS knocks it right off... I'm down to about 185 now.

    GP

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    654

    Lets be careful out there!

    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    I do pretty much the same on mine and haven't broken it yet. I saw someplace that there was a manufacturing problem with the early SISS's and Bianchi realized it and fixed the problem. I got mine in October 2003. My frame is just like the SASS. It has the cable guide in the center of the top tube. I guess the early ones didn't have that. Not that it would stop this particular failure. It's funny. I used to weigh 200 lbs also. SS knocks it right off... I'm down to about 185 now.

    GP
    I have (had) one of the very first off the assembly line, no third cable guide on top tube, no extra metal on seatpost clamp, etc. Of course mine broke. My good buddy has a newer one, with the third cable guide, etc, he broke the sh!t outta his. You and Earthpig need to try harder to get bigger air....actually no don't and keep an eye on that drive side chainstay.

    peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtnpat; 04-20-2004 at 11:19 AM. Reason: just cause

  11. #11
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    357
    Do some frame sizes crack easier than others?

  12. #12
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,907

    Possible explanation

    I'm wondering what gearing those of you who broke your frames were running. Given the steepness of the trails around here (and how fat and weak I am), my SISS has always had a 32 x 20 gearing, with an 8 speed chain and 180mm cranks. From the looks of your broken frame pictures, I'm wondering if using a smaller freewheel induces cracking, due to more pressure on the drive side chainstay. From the location of the crack, it's not an up-and-down pressure that appears to cause the crack, but a side to side torquing of the chainstay, induced by pedaling. Seems like a smaller freewheel would create higher side to side torque, causing an eventual crack. Just a thought.

  13. #13
    One gear to rule them all
    Reputation: 32seventeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    Wouldn't the opposite be true? A lower gear would create more torque? But maybe the higher gear would cause the rider to stand and lean the bike more. That would flex the stay from side to side a bit more. It's a theory???



    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I'm wondering what gearing those of you who broke your frames were running. Given the steepness of the trails around here (and how fat and weak I am), my SISS has always had a 32 x 20 gearing, with an 8 speed chain and 180mm cranks. From the looks of your broken frame pictures, I'm wondering if using a smaller freewheel induces cracking, due to more pressure on the drive side chainstay. From the location of the crack, it's not an up-and-down pressure that appears to cause the crack, but a side to side torquing of the chainstay, induced by pedaling. Seems like a smaller freewheel would create higher side to side torque, causing an eventual crack. Just a thought.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrNatural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Have been riding mine for a year, mostly like this, and haven't broken it yet. I have to think that perhaps there was a manufacturing flaw with a certain run of these frames, not an inherent design flaw, because it seems like theres a lot of SISSes out there that haven't broken. I mean, I weigh 200 lbs (or did) and routinely abuse mine. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before mine goes too.
    that's a somewhat different jumping style, surprised you still have front teeth!

  15. #15
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,907

    Well...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNatural
    that's a somewhat different jumping style, surprised you still have front teeth!
    ...perhaps I'll break my teeth before I break the frame!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WadePatton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    512
    Right at a year of riding and racing--yes I race the pig. No cracks or any other problems.

    I'm 175# right now. Run 32x16 or 18 and low tire pressure.

    Was already planning on replacing the frame with a custom before I heard about the cracking issue. If mine cracks-I'll weld it up. Great first bike frame project.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    79

    Bummer ...

    I got one too...has three off center, to the left side, cable guides.
    I only rode mine a few times, on road last summer...because of knee surgery.
    I finally got it muddy on some real trails this spring. That's a shame knowin' it will break. It's a fun bike to ride that handles real well. I agree the chainline sucks and I replaced the chain, but other than that, I've been happy. I hope they fixed the problem with the 2004 frames (SASS). Happy trails...

  18. #18
    Thirsty
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    After a year of putting up with my 220 pounds my SISS broke in the same place. FYI for those waiting for the frame to break, when my SISS broke the only symptom was an annoying squeak. Timing was awful, a week before Sea Otter and I didn't have a SS. I pulled my geared mess out of a friends garage and down shifted my way to the finish... slowly. Cambria got in touch with Bianchi and got a new SASS in less than two weeks, not bad. The only minor problem is Bianchi sent a black fork, I think it was done out of spite. Tonight will be my first ride on the SASS lets hope the frame holds up.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    327

    Go Ti dude!

    Go Ti dude if you can afford it, it is a sweet SS ride I converted my Litespeed last fall and it is so sweet. This is the best material for a hardtail bar none if you can afford it. Look at Titus they will build you a SS in Ti with horizontal dropouts. If you can't afford that try a quaility steel bike, my buddies love Spot. Save the beer can bikes for the full suspension and roadie stuff.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WadePatton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    512
    Methinks a custom steel would be better than ti. Heck maybe even with lugs. I had a ti HT years ago. It wasn't custom. Everything else I buy will be. It just doesn't cost that much more.

Similar Threads

  1. Epoxy or other super glues for broken XT shifter lever???
    By GreenBonty in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:29 PM
  2. Bianchi SISS Chain Tensioner
    By sea otter in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •