-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

quill-type stem questions

i am in the process of collecting parts for my next single speed.

i have pretty much everything i need and am now going through the details. i would like to run riser bars, but am pretty sure that they arent gonna fit through my old school control-tech stem. the stem is a one piece unit unlike most modern stems on which half of the handlebar clamp is removable. thus, i dont think the bends in the riser bar are gonna make it through the opening in the stem.

so, my questions are:

1. will riser bars fit in a control tech stem?

2. am i taking my life in my hands running a ten year old aluminum stem of questionable origin?

3. if you answered 'yes' to question 2 or 'no' to question 1, who makes a cheap and strong (not worried about light really) steel quill-type stem that will take punishment?

PS anyone else ever done a paramount series90 SS? did you find a good ratio that fits without a chain-tensioner? a 36-18 looks like it should fit....too tall? ~51" upon searching i saw that a bunch of people run 2:1 gears. is that not a bit tall?
    Last edited by chuffer; 04-27-2004 at 01:45 AM. Reason: b/c
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    1. will riser bars fit in a control tech stem?
    2. am i taking my life in my hands running a ten year old aluminum stem of questionable origin?
    3. if you answered 'yes' to question 2 or 'no' to question 1, who makes a cheap and strong (not worried about light really) steel quill-type stem that will take punishment?
    1. I haven't tried but risers probably won't fit in a Control Tech stem. You really need a stem with a removable face-plate, but they never existed (as far as I remember) in the quill stem era.
    2. Control Tech stems are/were very good stems so unless it shows obvious signs of abuse then there's no reason why it won't outlive all of us. Just go easy when tightening the bar clamp bolts because the threads aren't the greatest.
    3. Syncros quill stems were always one of the lightest on the market and extremely robust but will definitely not fit risers as the bar clamp is very wide.

If you forget the riser bars and go with flat bars then you won't have a problem... I've never liked riser bars so I don't really have much sympathy for those who wish to use them

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    riser bars most definitely DID exist in the quill stem era.

If I can get a scott AT-3 bar into a CT stem, then you can get a riser bar in there much faster.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    ahh, i forgot about those AT-series bars. surprising how much abuse they took. BUT did you really get one in a CT stem? (not calling you a liar-just surprised.) i didnt have any luck with with getting drop bars into a CT...i guess the radii are pretty different.

thanks. i'll try it.

manitou19: yeah i dig risers. personal preference and i am willing to deal with hassel...

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    riser bars most definitely DID exist in the quill stem era.

If I can get a scott AT-3 bar into a CT stem, then you can get a riser bar in there much faster.

75% Mountain cycle

Riser Bar - control tech stem - no problem

I had 2 different risers on this bike on this bike, notice the old school control tech stem. I had a 2" rise white brother's ti bar in this stem and a Azonic 1.5" rise double wall. I opted for the flat bar after all that. There is a Salsa flat bar from Cambriabike.com that is 26" wide and comes in 5 deg or 11 deg sweep, that's my next purchase for this baby.

Anyway, try the riser bar. If you have to, remove the bolt and jam a wooden wedge in the clamp to spread it out a little.

I don't worry about the older control tech stems. They made them extra beefy back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    SanAnMan,

Thanks for the info. nice ride. simple colors. sweet lines.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Ringle

Ringle quill stems had removable 2-bolt face plates.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    I had 2 different risers on this bike on this bike, notice the old school control tech stem. I had a 2" rise white brother's ti bar in this stem and a Azonic 1.5" rise double wall. I opted for the flat bar after all that. There is a Salsa flat bar from Cambriabike.com that is 26" wide and comes in 5 deg or 11 deg sweep, that's my next purchase for this baby.

Anyway, try the riser bar. If you have to, remove the bolt and jam a wooden wedge in the clamp to spread it out a little.

I don't worry about the older control tech stems. They made them extra beefy back then.
    That 26" flat bar is the Salsa Pro Moto. I (and others) use it on my SS and love it. Mine is the 5 degree sweep. Really good quality 7075 aluminum.

paintbucket
    I'm assuming this is a 1" head tube. Performance makes a threaded/threadless adaptor that will let you run a 1 1/8" threadless stem on a 1" threaded fork. No muss, no fuss.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

I like to ride bikes!

People put road bars on those stems all the time....

Helpful tip: Take the pinch bolt out. Insert a coin in the slot between the clamp area. Thread the bolt in from the back side. Tighten it against the coin. It will force the clamp open and it will stay that way during your install.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou916
    1. I haven't tried but risers probably won't fit in a Control Tech stem. You really need a stem with a removable face-plate, but they never existed (as far as I remember) in the quill stem era.)...
    Riser bars have been around as long as mt bikes. Unless the bar has a welded on crossbar they can be used in the "old style" stems. I had a trail-trials bike with a 150 mm stem and a 4" riser. Easier to install than a dropbar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Penis Goat!
    At the risk of spamming, I'll show you the stem I have up on ebay...it's a 1" threaded Ritchey stem, all steel. I purchased it new and never used it. Here's a link:

Ritchey 1" threaded stem

Sorry if I offend anyone with this posting, but I'm just trying to help.

Brian

mtbr member

What a great tip!

Wish I'd seen it before attempting to squeeze my easton carbon monkeylite riser through an old litespeed quill stem. It's in, but the "pry it open with the jumbo craftsman screwdriver" solution was nowhere as graceful... Not to mention that the clearcoat on the monkeylite isn't quite as beautiful as it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Helpful tip: Take the pinch bolt out. Insert a coin in the slot between the clamp area. Thread the bolt in from the back side. Tighten it against the coin. It will force the clamp open and it will stay that way during your install.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    i'd be careful how much you opened up a CT or any other aluminum stem for that matter using the coin technique. not saying it cant be done, just dont overso it....
    steel stem: no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm assuming this is a 1" head tube. Performance makes a threaded/threadless adaptor that will let you run a 1 1/8" threadless stem on a 1" threaded fork. No muss, no fuss.
    I'm with Woogi on this one. Ditch the quill stem and pick up an adapter that will allow you to run whatever aheadset stem that you want or have laying around. I've done this on several bikes and it's proven to be a stiffer interface than any suitable quill stem I could find.