Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Quick road bike advice...

Looking to buy a used road bike out of the paper.
    They guy wants $150 for this puppy..
    any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Tough to tell

Seems pricey to me, but it all depends on the area and what else is available.

I managed to snag a 3X butted Ishwata Norco frame for $100CDN, which is like $75 to you yanks.

If it's in better shape then it appears, and the components are decent (depending on which one's you'll keep of course), it's probably an okay deal.

The chromed headtube is nice. It could make a real nice, if slack, conversion.

rejected
    I smell a fixie project...

didn't you just sell a road bike on ebay....

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by gspot
    I smell a fixie project...

didn't you just sell a road bike on ebay....
    I did. But is was nifty Alu that felt a tad noodley and shakey.
    I wanted to sell it so I wouldn't break it.
    I think old steel might suit me better, plus, I'd be up about $600 on the deal.

I'll offer the guy $100 and see what happens.

Not because I'm fast.....

Miyata

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Looking to buy a used road bike out of the paper.
    They guy wants $150 for this puppy..
    any thoughts?
    Hey Padre,
    I have found nicer old road bikes for cheaper by searching the thrift shops and swapmeets when I lived in OC. The Goldenwest College swapmeet usually has some good stuff to be found.

Miyata road bikes I believe tend to run a little short in the toptube length too, so at your height, I would make sure it is long enough for you.

I saw this on Ebay that looks somewhat interesting for a project:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Good luck!
    Last edited by 2farfwd; 01-02-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I did. But is was nifty Alu that felt a tad noodley and shakey.
    I wanted to sell it so I wouldn't break it.
    I think old steel might suit me better, plus, I'd be up about $600 on the deal.

I'll offer the guy $100 and see what happens.
    This bike may not be any stiffer than your old Al frame unless the steel tubing is fairly thick wall.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    ...The chromed headtube is nice. It could make a real nice, if slack, conversion.
    Paint, not chrome.

Slack? Looks normal road to me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

paintbucket
    Miyata made some real good, undervalued frames. Don't know if that's one of them. It looks like a freewheel bike, in which case all you need to buy to fix it is a cog and a new chain, assuming everything else works ok. I think 160 is a bit steep, but I'd be tempted because bikes in your size are hard to come by.

I do think it would make a great fixed gear bike though.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Miyata made some real good, undervalued frames. Don't know if that's one of them. It looks like a freewheel bike, in which case all you need to buy to fix it is a cog and a new chain, assuming everything else works ok. I think 160 is a bit steep, but I'd be tempted because bikes in your size are hard to come by.

I do think it would make a great fixed gear bike though.
    Yeah, that's the thing, there are always 56cm bikes and the like around, but never anything like this, at 62cm.
    Where do I go to get info on that fixed conversion? Sheldon?

paintbucket
    Yeah, that's the thing, there are always 56cm bikes and the like around, but never anything like this, at 62cm.
    Sheldon is a good place to start. And the fixedgeargallery.com has some how-tos on the main page and good folks in the forums.

Penis Goat!
    The first place I went is the Fixed Gear board over at RBR...very good info over there. You can ask your original question (whether or not it's worth it) on the Retro/Classics board, I think they'd be able to help you out.

You'd need a new rear wheel for a conversion. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and have decided to go SS until I can purchase the components to build up a fixie wheelset. I asked about converting a freewheel wheel into a fixed wheel over on the Fixie board, and several replied they've had problems. It just doesn't sound safe to me.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    The first place I went is the Fixed Gear board over at RBR...very good info over there. You can ask your original question (whether or not it's worth it) on the Retro/Classics board, I think they'd be able to help you out.

You'd need a new rear wheel for a conversion. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and have decided to go SS until I can purchase the components to build up a fixie wheelset. I asked about converting a freewheel wheel into a fixed wheel over on the Fixie board, and several replied they've had problems. It just doesn't sound safe to me.
    Cool. That is my tentative plan for when I find the cheapo bike.
    Thanks for the input everyone.

The Top Cap Guy
    All you can find is 56cm frames??? All around here is 60cm+ frames!!??!! I'll ask around if any of my tall friends have any big frames they would like to donate... would just a frame do - or would you prefer a complete bike that you can convert to a ss?

Later
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    I think that's a function of how you use the bike. If you're going to be skidding it then a track hub with a lock ring is just about a must. But if you'll be using it for road riding then its not as necessary. I run two brakes, I ride road, and I don't skid. So I just converted a road hub. If and when that becomes unsafe due to how I ride, I'll switch. Until then I'll just be cheap and run what I got.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Does it fit? Nothing worse than an ill-fitting road bike, no matter how cheap.

Hard to tell alot about the frame, but the components look decent enough. Possibly Modolo brakes, Suntour (or cheaper SR or Sugino) cranks, SR Laprade post. Maybe a Cinelli stem (if so, likely 26.4 diameter, which is not compatible with today's 26.0/25.8 and (obviously) 31.8.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    All you can find is 56cm frames??? All around here is 60cm+ frames!!??!! I'll ask around if any of my tall friends have any big frames they would like to donate... would just a frame do - or would you prefer a complete bike that you can convert to a ss?

Later
    FF
    I'm looking for a complete bike to run SS. I need to be able to get out and spin on the road to get some time in training for the VQ on the road. After that, I'll try fixie style, me thinks...thanks for the offer!

mtbr member

Fixed freak

I love riding fixed, so much more control. I bought an old centurian (diamondback before it was diamondback I believe) frame for $25 on ebay (56cm) the whole set up cost me around $250 when all was said and done, I got lucky and my bike shop had not only an old fixed hub, but attached (well seized on I should say) was a campy track cog. It took a while to figure out the spoke lengths but It's a sweet ride. One (front) brake, cow horn bars, Frame and fork were imaculate for being as old as they were. I'll post a pic later, The only problem I ran into was the rear hub was short, so I opted to bend the seat and chain stays in a little but I love it, I wouldn't do the SS thing, you should just jump right in to the fixed, the SS thing is a step that is not nessesary. But to each his own, Who am I to tell someone else how to ride.
    Large Carbon Niner Air9 SS w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by sachase
    I wouldn't do the SS thing, you should just jump right in to the fixed, the SS thing is a step that is not nessesary. But to each his own, Who am I to tell someone else how to ride.
    I have heard that road SS is incredibly boring. Not sure if that's true.. but if I pick up an ancient road bike, the chances that the drivetrain functions well are slim to none. I won't have the money to make it fixed at first, so I might have to run it SS at first. We'll see.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    From one tall freak to another, if you are looking for a road bike, look for bikes that have 60cm + top tube lengths. Most basic brands - and especially Euro brands - have short top tubes. I had an early '70s Masi Gran Criterium 62cm that "only" had a 59cm t/t. It was a beautiful bike, but just never great. One of the best frames I had was a late 80s Klein Quantum 61cm with a 60cm top tube. They even made a 63cm frame for the ultra-tall. An old Klein would be a pretty dang cool road frame for you and a good choice for a s/s conversion. The only drawback is the press-in bottom bracket if you are into changing cranks. But once it's set, its set.

mtbr member

I think too much

Just my opinion, but I think $150 is too much. I went to a bicycle salvage in Tucson, AZ (called b.i.c.u.s.) and got me a Miyata frame for $20. I stripped all the parts and left them at the store and took home the frame. The only money (besides $20 for frame) was $120 for Suzuie(sp) and Cog. It has been a fun investment. I have used it for road rides and commuting. Its my first fixie build and its actually inspired a few of my friends to build up some fixies. I recently puchased another cheapo MTB frame to build up a SS Polo bike.
    Here is a pick of my Miyata after I completed it. (sanded and painted flat black with the luggs still silver)
    Last edited by scanjok; 01-05-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    Just my opinion, but I think $150 is too much. I went to a bicycle salvage in Tucson, AZ (called b.i.c.u.s.) and got me a Miyata frame for $20. I stripped all the parts and left them at the store and took home the frame. The only money (besides $20 for frame) was $120 for Suzuie(sp) and Cog. It has been a fun investment. I have used it for road rides and commuting. Its my first fixie build and its actually inspired a few of my friends to build up some fixies. I recently puchased another cheapo MTB frame to build up a SS Polo bike.
    Here is a pick of my Miyata after I completed it. (sanded and painted flat black with the luggs still silver)
    Sweet ride.
    I was going to offer the guy $75, but maybe I'll shoot for $50?

Another thing, I was hoping to use the bike to get some spinning rides in as training for the VQ. A fixie, at this point, I think might be too much pain, when I'll still be recovering from long SS efforts.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride.
    I was going to offer the guy $75, but maybe I'll shoot for $50?

Another thing, I was hoping to use the bike to get some spinning rides in as training for the VQ. A fixie, at this point, I think might be too much pain, when I'll still be recovering from long SS efforts.
    a little tip the spinning is the trick to quick recovery it flushes the legs!!

mtbr member

Good job!

heres a pic of my road fixie built a couple of years ago very cheap
    an old lugged nishiki rides great
    frame,fork,headset,stem $50 LBS
    seat&post junk drawer
    m-bars $18
    cranks&brakes thrift store schwinn
    chainring,cog,pedals junkdrawer
    wheels off wall welded free hub has worked great
    12 pack paint job from painter at work

Steamroller

Ride it then resell it

Padre, If it fits try to get it for $100 or so and then ride it, SS it, whatever. If you don't like it or find a better one you can resell it pretty easily for $100-150 I would think. I have sold 2 road bikes that were not as nice for $75 and $150 easily in the last year. If you ride it for a few months and take a $25 loss you still came out OK. Be carefull about buying a 27" wheeled bike, they are out there too, but a bit hard to find decent tires for, and if you convert it to 700s you'll likely have to find a set of long reach brake calipers. I'll keep my eyes open, I seem to have a talent for finding nice old road bikes cheap.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Throw away that derailuer

Once you start you won't go back.
    Large Carbon Niner Air9 SS w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast