Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Questions about single speed

So I have to admit, I have been lurking the single speed forum more often than the others. I don't know why, but I seem to be attracted to the simplicity of it all. I also like the fact that it forces me to use my strength in my legs instead of using easier gears. I recently purchased a fuji 1.9 29er and am getting ready to go with only one ring up front. I have been riding in the middle gear the last few rides and like how it causes me to get off the saddle and push harder to make it up hills. I'm set with going with the 32T up front. I was going to convert the back to an 8 speed freewheel instead of the 7 speed it came with. Then I started reading this single speed forum a lot and thought maybe I should give single speed a try. It seems I ride in 6th gear most of the time which would be a 16 tooth cog in the back. At least on my bike it is. So would I be ok with having the 32T in the front and a 16T in the back or should I be looking at a different gearing. I ride mostly single track with a mixture of rocks, roots, hills and switchbacks. Some occasional uphill and downhill as well. Any suggestions are appreciated. Looks like I have the itch for this and I want to be sure I get the gearing to about where it needs to be.

What could go wrong ...
    2:1 is pretty much the standard starting place for SS gearing ... it all depends on how strong you are and how hilly the trails you ride are. Start there (32/16) and adjust as you see fit.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any suggestions on single speed conversion kits for the rear. I have a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ebay has lots of convertions,Performace ,Jenson,do to . You could make some spacers out of pvc and buy a bmx freewheel . 2 TO 1 for me too steep ,I run 32 /18 on a 26" wheel.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Ebay has lots of convertions,Performace ,Jenson,do to . You could make some spacers out of pvc and buy a bmx freewheel . 2 TO 1 for me too steep ,I run 32 /18 on a 26" wheel.
    +1
    If you've been lurking, you probably know that there is approximately a 2 tooth difference in 26ers and 29ers, so a 32:18 on a 26er is similar to a 32:20 on a 29er.
    The latter is what I normally run on my 29er...of course I like a bit of spin and I live in an area with a ton of climbing (I will even go up to a 21 for 24hr events or maybe a 100 mile event)...though some local guys will run a 32:18 on their 29er or even 17 (crazy). That does not make them faster, it is just that different people will adjust to different gears and you will need to find what works best for you so be prepared to experiment a bit.
    Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I was running a Surly kit on the rear of my geared hub. Works great. I started with 32x20 and just moved to 32x18 last night. Big difference. I'm keeping the 32x18 as my "training" gearing for now and I'll probably still ride with the 32x20 for a while when I'm actual trails. My everyday riding is around the outskirts of my town mostly on the roadway but lots of short steep climbs to keep my legs in shape.

As far as making the jump to SS...you'll become addicted. It's so much more fun and harder but definitely more fun. I also love the simplicity. Don't have to think. Just like being a little kid. Jump on the bike and pedal not having to worry about what gear you're in and proper gear changes and all that crap. Only thing is sit or stand or walk. Sit until you need to stand, walk when standing isn't working anymore. Pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    2:1 is pretty much the standard starting place for SS gearing ... it all depends on how strong you are and how hilly the trails you ride are. Start there (32/16) and adjust as you see fit.
    Seems to me that the only people running that big of a gear are the VERY strong guys(top Cat 1/open). If you're riding twisty technical singletrack, I'd say start with 32-19 or 20

Tigers love pepper...
    I just started, and am running 32/20 on a 29er. Seems to be pretty good, I may try 32/18 after a while.

Definately give it a try, I think you'll like it.

I used this kit. Cheap and easy, was like $4 to grab a 20T cog to try. Beware, use a geared chain (3/32) It is not wide enough for 1/8.

I may upgrade at some point but happy with it after a handful of rides so far.

mtbr member
    A 29er with 32/16 gearing is insane for your first single speed. Like most of the others, I suggest you start with 32/20.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions on the right size gearing. Tonight when I go ride, I will pay closer attention to what gear I'm riding in. Tomorrow I will be stopping by the LBS to pick up what I need. I called today and they told me they have the Bmx free wheels that I can use. Will I need to do anything in order to have the chain line as straight as possible?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go by what you're riding on your geared bike. Like already stated, it's not the same. I could ride 32x16 on my geared bike all day long. 32x18 on my SS (lighter weight bike too) kicks my ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a 29'r and I run in between a 32x18 and a 32x20. I have a 19 on there now and it seems to split the difference pretty good. Pretty much whatever gear you choose will be the wrong one, it isn't too often that it is perfect. When it is, it is a good feeling. For the most part you just have to find a happy medium.

I don't think it has been mentioned already and I am not familiar with your frame, but you will need a means of tensioning the chain. A Surly singleater is a good way to do that if you have vertical drop outs and no eccentric bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I have a 29'r and I run in between a 32x18 and a 32x20. I have a 19 on there now and it seems to split the difference pretty good. Pretty much whatever gear you choose will be the wrong one, it isn't too often that it is perfect. When it is, it is a good feeling. For the most part you just have to find a happy medium.

I don't think it has been mentioned already and I am not familiar with your frame, but you will need a means of tensioning the chain. A Surly singleater is a good way to do that if you have vertical drop outs and no eccentric bottom bracket.

Thanks for the info. So far my list consist of purchasing a Bmx freewheel probably with a 18 or 20T, a chain tensioner, a chain breaker and a quick link, and I'll be ordering a new crank as well to upgrade the one I have now. Front crank will be 32T. I also have a jump stop that I will be installing as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madaca View Post
    I also have a jump stop that I will be installing as well.
    If you get your chainline and tension right you won't need that jump stop...

SPP
    Rigid.

nothing to see here
    Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier but...

As I understand it, you are removing a 7spd freewheel and replacing it with a BMX style freewheel. Whilst that will go together, the resulting chainline will render it inoperable with your crank's chainline. The rear chainline will be too far inboard, and may result in many dropped chains/smashed family jewels. You will not be able to put sufficient spacers behind the BMX freewheel and still get enough purchase on it's thread.

You may be able to have the wheel re-dished depending on the type of axle it has (ie whether it has screw on inboard bearing cups) and if it is a rim brake wheel, but the simplest solution is to buy another (second hand) rear wheel that is either single speed specific or has a cassette style freehub, on which you will be able to mount a single sprocket and use spacers to adjust the chainline to suit your crankset.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier but...

As I understand it, you are removing a 7spd freewheel and replacing it with a BMX style freewheel. Whilst that will go together, the resulting chainline will render it inoperable with your crank's chainline. The rear chainline will be too far inboard, and may result in many dropped chains/smashed family jewels. You will not be able to put sufficient spacers behind the BMX freewheel and still get enough purchase on it's thread.

You may be able to have the wheel re-dished depending on the type of axle it has (ie whether it has screw on inboard bearing cups) and if it is a rim brake wheel, but the simplest solution is to buy another (second hand) rear wheel that is either single speed specific or has a cassette style freehub, on which you will be able to mount a single sprocket and use spacers to adjust the chainline to suit your crankset.
    I had a feeling it wouldn't be so easy. So, unlike a freehub, I can't space it out to get the correct chain line? I guess I will have to wait until I can find another wheel with a hub. My current wheel has disk brakes. So I guess with freewheels, you are pretty limited to what you can do.

nothing to see here
    Without seeing how wide the thread is on the hub you already have, it is difficult to make the right call. You can use spacers on a freewheel, but if it puts the line of the sprocket outside the end of the hub's thread, you're asking for trouble. I'd go with another more suitable wheel. You should be able to find one cheap enough.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I guess I'll take my rear wheel in and see what the LBS has. The guy I spoke with was familiar with the process. I'll find out tomorrow.

one chain loop
    kinda weird that you have a freewheel hub. what bike do you have, or at least post some pictures of the rear hub so we can guide you accordingly.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    kinda weird that you have a freewheel hub. what bike do you have, or at least post some pictures of the rear hub so we can guide you accordingly.

I don't have a hub. It's freewheel. The kind that spins on. This is my bike although I don't have a good pic of the freewheel. I broke my derailleur in this pic. It's a fuji nevada 1.9 29er

nothing to see here
    7 or 8 speed freewheels are pretty common still in lower end mountain bikes. Although it is unusual to see a frame with a post mount rear disc brake and screw on freewheel.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well the LBS didn't have what I needed. For now I bought a new derailleur and 8 speed freewheel. I'm going to keep my eye out for a 29" hub wheel. Once I get that I'll go ahead and make the change. For now I'm going with 1x8. Thanks for all the help. At least I know what I need to do this conversion.

mtbr member
    I think 32/19 is a good starting point for 29er SS gearing experiments. It's very close to 34/20, which I've found to be quite a good compromise between speed and climbing. For fixed riding I use 34/18 to reduce excessive spinning.

The "classic 2:1" such as 32/16 only applies to 26" bikes. A similar total ratio on a 29er would be achieved with 32/18.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been using 38/16 all the time and think that perfekt on almost Every trial.
    At least all the fun , dont really understand why everyone like lack of speed and tuff technical trials.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok I have another question. It seems if I redish my wheel to get the line straight and put my axle spacers on the opposite side in order to get the freewheel in line better, my disk brake will then be off and not lined up properly and inoperable. How straight does the chain line need to be? Will a jump stop help if my chain line isn't as straight as it should? Sorry so many questions but I really want to do this conversion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast