Gotta pay to play

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Question on rear tires.

About to retire my second set of Nevegals from the back. Front tire has almost no wear at all and it the first set the bike came with. I have been happy with the tire as far as traction and cornering but I'm kind of dismayed at how quickly I shred through the rears. Is this just something that happens with SSing or should I consider another tire that might last longer?

I ride in So cal. Mostly light sand over hard pack. Some light rocks.

Never trust a fart
    The rear tire always wears faster than the front. If your happy with it, put another Nevegal on.

mtbr member
    Out of interest; how long/far do your rear tyres usually last then?

mtbr member
    I like to use the same tire front and rear. When the rear wears out, I move the front to the rear and get a new front tire.

mtbr member

Irc's

Cheap and dirty Mythos IRC'S @ 15.00 ea. 1.95 in picQuestion on rear tires.-1231111452b.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Ovaries on the Outside
    You could rotate your tires from front to back more often and prolong the period before buying new tires. I haven't noticed a correlation between SS and faster tire wear times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    About to retire my second set of Nevegals from the back. Front tire has almost no wear at all and it the first set the bike came with. I have been happy with the tire as far as traction and cornering but I'm kind of dismayed at how quickly I shred through the rears. Is this just something that happens with SSing or should I consider another tire that might last longer?
    Probably shouldn't barney skid so much
    We need to have a little chat about Etiquette

sorry, couldn't resist.

Low Rep Count
    I am curious why you have chosen the Navagal tire over all the others for the area you ride in. If your ride on mostly hard pack/rocks then I would think you could go with a smaller block tread pattern like that of a Race King, Nano Raptor, Ikon, Ignitor... They all weigh considerably less than the Nav's and roll much faster.

On a side note, I only really rode my Nav's in the winter when I needed more traction on the trails/snow. But they are 26" and I am now on a 29 but I kept them to switch out on my wifes bike betweek RK's in the summer and Nav's in the winter. But I certainly can remember how much more work it seemed to take to keep the Nav's rolling compared to the RK's. I was quite excited to switch back when the weather broke.

Man, you have a Lynskey for crying out loud. I know the bike is light and you have a light set of wheels. I am guessing that the tires weigh almost as much as your wheels. But with such a light bike you probably don't even notice it. To each his own I guess.

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I am curious why you have chosen the Navagal tire over all the others for the area you ride in. If your ride on mostly hard pack/rocks then I would think you could go with a smaller block tread pattern like that of a Race King, Nano Raptor, Ikon, Ignitor... They all weigh considerably less than the Nav's and roll much faster.
    I tried small block 8's and found them to be a little too slippery when standing up and mashing on loose dirt/sand. If you'll see my first post it was "light sand over hard pack" there are plenty of hills where I'm hitting lots of looseness. Also, I'm the fastest in my group so I'm not that concerned with gaining any more speed. I also like working hard. I am interested in tires with more traction that could last a bit longer and I'd be willing to sacrifice a bunch of weight and speed.

Man, you have a Lynskey for crying out loud. I know the bike is light and you have a light set of wheels. I am guessing that the tires weigh almost as much as your wheels. But with such a light bike you probably don't even notice it. To each his own I guess.
    Were you drunk when you posted this? I have a giant "GT" logo as my avatar and list all GT bikes in my signature. I've never touched a Lynskey.

Low Rep Count
    No, not drunk. I thought the bike pictured was yours, sorry about that.

I am currently running a WTB bronson that seems to be doing really well as far as traction goes. It has done well in the wet mud as well as on the now frozen ground with leaves on top of it. Can't complain at all. I can't vouch for its wear characteristics as of yet as it is still pretty new at this point. Have you thought about the Conti Mountain King? Those offer quite a bit of traction for sure but I blew out both my sidewalls during the fall due to sharp fallen branches on the trails.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, my bad.

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    No, not drunk. I thought the bike pictured was yours, sorry about that.

I am currently running a WTB bronson that seems to be doing really well as far as traction goes. It has done well in the wet mud as well as on the now frozen ground with leaves on top of it. Can't complain at all. I can't vouch for its wear characteristics as of yet as it is still pretty new at this point. Have you thought about the Conti Mountain King? Those offer quite a bit of traction for sure but I blew out both my sidewalls during the fall due to sharp fallen branches on the trails.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, my bad.
    No worries I'll try out a Bronson and Mountain King on my next switch out. Thanks for the suggestion.

openwound
    I'll second the Bronson. Though I got a pretty good size cut in the space between knobs on a new Bronson this summer. Bummed me out. It was large enough that the tire sealant couldn't do its thing. My point being that I'm not sure if the casing is thin or I just nailed a sharp-ish rock just a bit too hard.

I think that the Geax suguaro is a pretty good tire for your kind of terrain, too. Decent volume, not super big chunky tread like the Nevegal but not as smooth as the SB8. Reasonably priced at p-mart, too. The SB8 is just a bit too smooth for my tastes and terrain.

I do loves me some Nevegals... For the terrain I ride up here in the bay area and in the Sierras, Nevegals are great. A bit of a tractor tire to get moving but awesome, predictable traction and durability (imho).

As for front vs rear wear, as has been stated, rears just wear out faster -- because that's were all your weight gets concentrated.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bontrager FR3 front and rear... heavy but fast, set up well tubeless (team issue), and wear like iron.... also good in the loose stuff. I have a hard time trying to get mine to wash out in the corners. P.S. they are 2.35s and i've had them all the way down to 10 psi without them getting squirrelly.
    Gears give me headaches

Birthday Collector
    For SoCal, try the new Bontrager XR4 tire. I have been riding the older Bonty 29-4 on the front in NorCal the last year, and that is a great front tire. Put the new one (same tread as the XR4) on the front for a ride at Annadel a couple of weeks ago and it felt awesome - rolls nicely and grips well on hard/rock and felt good in loose. Sticking with the old 29-4 on the front through the "winter" in case it rains some day - that tire is great in mud and I'll keep it for that. Putting the new one on the rear, as it feels like it will work on both ends well. Both of these roll fast for a big fat tire. I DON'T think the old 29-4 would be a good SoCal tire on the slippery/hard DG stuff (I lived in San Diego for 37 years) but the new one would rock it. Can't say how it will wear, but I would bet a little better than a Nevegal. As far as other comments, I'll also agree on the Conti Race King on the rear - amazing hook up for a tiny-knobbed tire. Wet leaves have been it's only real Achilles Heel... I liked the WTB Exiwolf a lot as a rear tire, and a number of customers have been riding the Bronson on the rear and very happy with it.

So many tires, so little time....
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Gotta pay to play
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!