mtbr member

Question for Cupertino riders

I'll be traveling (pending confirmation) next Sunday to Cupertino to attend an Unix training at HP.

Is there a LBS in the area that rents bikes and are there any trails close to the Cupertino area? What kind of clothing would I need? I'm from Puerto Rico and don't have any cold weather cycling clothes and buying some doesn't makes a lot of sense.

Any info will be appreciated, I'm trying to squeeze a ride during my trip if possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never used them but Sun Bike Shop (they have a website, i think its something really creative like http://www.sunbikeshop.com) has an almost cult-like following. I would give them a call to see if they rent and know of any local club rides that day.

As for weather, it supposed to be raining all week, so dirt rides may be out. I get really hot when I ride, so I usually just go in my normal shorts and short sleeved jersey gear with just a wind breaker on and I'm fine. Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of town but if you haven't already, post over in the Norcal board. A huge portion of those guys are right in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. Some might be willing to hook up with you and show you a ride or two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

muddy

Most of the places around Cupertino are very muddy right now and more rain is expected for the rest of the week. Cupertino Bike rents some geared bikes. Trail Head is another great bike shop but I don't think they rent bikes. Fremont Older is right in the middle of Cupertino but it is very muddy. Not a good choice. Russian Ridge tolerates the water pretty well and would be a good choice. Skeggs, if it's not closed might be okay as well. My first choice would be Russian Ridge. You will need some warm clothes if the wind comes up which it has been. I'd join you but I'll be in San Diego next weekend.

mtbr member
    Doh, Sun Bike Shop is in Milpitas, not Cupertino!

190lbs of climber

extremely muddy, but probably ok by sunday if it doesnt rain

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I'll be traveling (pending confirmation) next Sunday to Cupertino to attend an Unix training at HP.

Is there a LBS in the area that rents bikes and are there any trails close to the Cupertino area? What kind of clothing would I need? I'm from Puerto Rico and don't have any cold weather cycling clothes and buying some doesn't makes a lot of sense.

Any info will be appreciated, I'm trying to squeeze a ride during my trip if possible.
    I live three miles from the trails in cupertino, and the rain finally stopped today. So, I switched my SASS to fire mud pros(skinny little panaracer tires, claimed to be 1.8s, really like 1.4, but they work) and hit the trails.
    if it wasnt for the skinnies I wouldn't have made it. no mud, but like 6'" of gooey clay in places. The good news is, since it's clay not mud it'll all be dried out and hard packed by Sunday anyway.
    clothes--underarmor type shirt and windbreaker are all you need. The coldest it gets here in beautiful bay area california is around 50, which feels like 90 on a mile long fireroad climb.
    rentals--I don't really know any places that rent, but I'm sure you could find someone to borrow from. how tall are you? sorry but all i have is my SASS( I like to remind my little sister that I love it more than i love her).
    unless you're around 5'4-5'9 in which case you can take a womens medium trek
    email- MensoT@yahoo.com
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Menso,

I'm 5'8" so I could borrow that Trek if we could hook up and isn't a problem to you.

I just confirmed my trip and will email you with the details soon, will arrive at San Fran on the 9th and depart the 16th so we could ride the 15th if it's alright with you.