mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Question on creaking EBB / how to keep dirt out

I have a ti hardtail with a Bushnell EBB which is always creaking. If I pull it out of the frame and clean the frame/EBB within an hour of using it, the creaking is back. I'm looking for options on how to resolve this. Every time I pull the EBB, there is a lot of dirt and grip in the bb shell. When you look at the EBB, there are holes drilled in it, along with the hole where the bolt that expands the EBB, all of which are obvious places where dirt can get into the shell and start causing problems.

Has anybody found any solutions for keeping dirt out? I've been seriously thinking about cutting packing tape to cover the entire exterior face of the EBB (with a cutout for the actual bottom bracket) and then seal the edges of the packing tape to the frame with exterior silicone caulk in an effort to cut down on the dirt. Has anybody tried anything like this? What would be the issues with using caulk like this on a titanium frame?

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    EBB have always given me an issue. I've ridden multiple SS's over the past 5 years and the only one that didn't creak was on my Raleigh XXIX. Not sure if it had to do with the steel frame, but all other alloy framed bikes creaked terribly. I rode a Salsa Selma, Specialized Stumpjumper, and a Niner One 9, all of which creaked. I have also tried plumbers joint compound and wrapping in teflon tape, all to no avail. I usually just turned my music up louder to block out the sound. Ultimately moved away from the SS because of this reason. Niner supposedly eliminated this with their EBB2 but I bailed before giving it a go. I've never heard of the issue when using sliders so if I go back to SS I may have to consider that as an option.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member

Question on creaking EBB / how to keep dirt out

Creaking EBBs are the reason I went to a SC Highball with swinging dropouts. Got tired of pulling it apart, cleaning, re-assembling just to have the noise and slippage return in no time.

SPP
    Rigid.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I have a ti hardtail with a Bushnell EBB which is always creaking. If I pull it out of the frame and clean the frame/EBB within an hour of using it, the creaking is back. I'm looking for options on how to resolve this. Every time I pull the EBB, there is a lot of dirt and grip in the bb shell. When you look at the EBB, there are holes drilled in it, along with the hole where the bolt that expands the EBB, all of which are obvious places where dirt can get into the shell and start causing problems.

Has anybody found any solutions for keeping dirt out? I've been seriously thinking about cutting packing tape to cover the entire exterior face of the EBB (with a cutout for the actual bottom bracket) and then seal the edges of the packing tape to the frame with exterior silicone caulk in an effort to cut down on the dirt. Has anybody tried anything like this? What would be the issues with using caulk like this on a titanium frame?

Thanks for any info!
    My Haro Mary never had a problem with creaking. During a good bike clean, rebuild I fully disassembled the EBB, then coated everything and the inside of frame with some good white grease, reassemble, adjust and tight the two EBB retaining set screws. The grease keeps all dirt and water out and if it tried to creak, the lube kills the noise.

EDIT: I got tired of the EBB and now have a Nashbar SS 29er with track ends style, combined with Redline chain tugs it's great and easy.

Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike - Overweight Code G Restricted
    Last edited by Natedogz; 04-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    i ride a specialized stumpjumper with a pinch bolt ebb. It creaked when i first bought it, took it apart, cleaned it and put a nice light coat of mobil 1 synthetic grease, no creaking of any sorts. I have heard of people using the pipe thread tape (white) on the shell and that is supposed to kill the noise as well.

I have a Bushnell and Niner (one bolt) EBB. Both are noise-free. With the Bushnell, I just coat everything in waterproof grease (Phil) and torque to manuf. specs. Zero noise thus far. I've got the drain holes as well, and the inside does get dirt, but good cleaning every other month or so keeps it working silent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds like EBBs are generally disliked. The most painful part for me is that I'm not even a SSer - I had the EBB added to my custom frame so I could give it a try many years ago and after a few weeks I decided it just wasn't for me.

I'm going to completely disassemble the Bushnell EBB, clean it and grease every surface of the thing before reassembling. I haven't actually taken the EBB apart - I've only ever cleaned the bb shell and the external surfaces of the EBB. If this doesn't work, then I'll start trying some more dramatic options. It almost looks like my best option would be to put a Carver EBB in - I just hate to buy another EBB if I can help it...

Sounds like EBBs are generally disliked. The most painful part for me is that I'm not even a SSer - I had the EBB added to my custom frame so I could give it a try many years ago and after a few weeks I decided it just wasn't for me.

I'm going to completely disassemble the Bushnell EBB, clean it and grease every surface of the thing before reassembling. I haven't actually taken the EBB apart - I've only ever cleaned the bb shell and the external surfaces of the EBB. If this doesn't work, then I'll start trying some more dramatic options. It almost looks like my best option would be to put a Carver EBB in - I just hate to buy another EBB if I can help it...
    I believe EBB's are the least user-friendly, in that you've got to clean, prep and install correctly. But for me, it is my favorite tensioning menthod. I like the quick re-tensioning, adjustable pedal clearance, and the cleaner look. If I ever move away from EBB, it would be to track ends.

Jeff Jones goes into a little about his frames and EBB install procedures here:

Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) | Jones Bikes

If you haven't cleaned your EBB, that's probably the reason it's creaking. Also, do you tension the bolt according to specs? If the creaking persists, I would check with your frame builder to see if the BB shell is within spec.

mtbr member
    A heavier/thicker automotive grease works great on my SC Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Jeff Jones goes into a little about his frames and EBB install procedures here:

Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) | Jones Bikes

If you haven't cleaned your EBB, that's probably the reason it's creaking. Also, do you tension the bolt according to specs? If the creaking persists, I would check with your frame builder to see if the BB shell is within spec.
    Very helpful link - thanks for sharing. I'm definitely not using nearly this much grease. Hopefully cleaning everything thoroughly and packing with grease will resolve my issues. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike the primer View Post
    A heavier/thicker automotive grease works great on my SC Chameleon.
    I'll give this a try too. I hadn't really thought of using the grease to actually prevent dirt from entering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I have a Bushnell and Niner (one bolt) EBB. Both are noise-free. With the Bushnell, I just coat everything in waterproof grease (Phil) and torque to manuf. specs. Zero noise thus far. I've got the drain holes as well, and the inside does get dirt, but good cleaning every other month or so keeps it working silent.
    I can deal with cleaning every couple months - not every ride. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I can deal with cleaning every couple months - not every ride. Thanks for the info.
    I hope the grease packing worked, never had any creaking from either my EBB's. You have probably tried this, but I always find it hard to pinpoint creaking and in my case it is usually the chainring bolts that need tightening - Steel are best as they are stronger and take more pressure...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve31166 View Post
    I hope the grease packing worked, never had any creaking from either my EBB's. You have probably tried this, but I always find it hard to pinpoint creaking and in my case it is usually the chainring bolts that need tightening - Steel are best as they are stronger and take more pressure...
    I took care of all the maintenance, but I won't be riding this bike for another week or so now, so I won't know for a little while yet. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that this will work, but only time will tell.