mtbr member

Question about teeth on cog

Does this cog look fine for SS? I can't tell if this is what ramped teeth look like or not. The edges look a little different than what's on my Monocog currently.

meatier showers
    That is a singlespeed cog. A cheap singlespeed cog. Regardless it should work fine and last a long time.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Trail Prospector
    Yes, it's not ramped, and will work if your free hub body is steel.
    If not, it'll dig into the alloy, and the reason for broad-based (wide) cogs.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Cheap stamped steel cog, works fine on steel freehub bodies. Do not use on an alloy freehub body, it will ruin it.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Sorry for the dumb question but how can I tell if the stock hub on my '07 Redline Monocog is steel or aluminum?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question but how can I tell if the stock hub on my '07 Redline Monocog is steel or aluminum?
    It is steel. You're good to go.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys.

mtbr member
    In pedant mode now - it's a "sprocket", not a cog. A sprocket engages with a chain and a cog with another of its own kind (like in a gearbox)..........

Ok, as you were.

mtbr member
    You'll be fine. I use that same cog/sprocket on both my ss mtb and road bike. It lasts for ages.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got a magnet?

Trail Prospector
    Ok...... Sprocket Man
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Ok...... Sprocket Man
    LOL. Funny how we can see someone being (self-proclaimed in Andy's case) pedantic about semantics but the truth is I'm one of the worst offenders. For instance wtf do people call a suspension fork a shock? IMO anyone who does this is labeling themselves as a moron.

I appreciate accuracy when it comes to the lexicon... anything less than utilizing the correct term degrades our elevated species' ability to communicate clearly and shows barbaric disregard for the continued advancement of humanity.

Whoa... uh, really? Okay, maybe not quite. But kinda.

Anyway... even though this is not the first time Andy's pointed out the sprocket vs. cog thing, I continue to call the sprocket at the back of the bike a cog... simply because "cog" is the term that our sport has embraced for years... it's in common usage... kinda like using the (wrong) word "shock" when people are actually talking about a suspension fork.

Andy, I'm guilty. And doubtless I'll continue to be a moron when it comes to cog / sprocket terminology. Please forgive me.

Oh BTW peeps, while we're on this subject, can we please start calling them step-in pedals instead of clipless pedals? My gawd, nobody has used toeclips for 20 years... wtf do we continue to define step-in pedals by what they're not? "Clipless"? I'll bet half the people reading this forum are so young that they don't even know where the term "clip" came from. It came from toeclips, kids. What's a toeclip? Google it. Anyway, clipless... dumb name for the pedals we use on our mountain bikes.

/pedantics

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    To be fair, I think a lot of it depends on where one lives - more specifically, which side of the Atlantic.
    Around these parts I don't find as many people referring to sprockets as cogs and never hear the term shock being used for a suspension fork.
    What is it they say? Britain and America - two countries divided by a common language.........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Got a magnet?
    LOL good point thank you.

mtbr member
    Looks like this hub is actually aluminum. I also measured both the stock 16T cog and my cheap 16T cog, they're the same width. I think it'll be fine.

meatier showers
    Looks like this hub is actually aluminum. I also measured both the stock 16T cog and my cheap 16T cog, they're the same width. I think it'll be fine.
    The hub itself is certainly aluminum. But check the freehub body -- it will be steel. That's the part that matters with regard to cog width. I'm almost certain that your hub's freehub body is steel but if it really is aluminum, the cog in the picture will indeed destroy it in short order.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.