formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

The Queen Mary 2 and my Kogswell

I was able to get over and see it today. I took my New York State Emergency Medical Technician badge with me hoping that the police would be cool and let me get really close to the ship. Well, security was very tight but they allowed up to the top level where only police and fire were allowed. They even had a bomb sniffing dog check me out before I was allowed to get really up close and take some pictures.

Enjoy!

34N 118W
    cool shots! (nm)

used to be uno-speedo....
    You seized a great opportunity congrats dude on the great photos.

Thats a big ship!

zeebot
    i rode past that a few hours ago along the greenway. it's HUGE. and i thought some of those cruise ships here last summer were big...i ALWAYS forget to bring my camera with me.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    i rode past that a few hours ago along the greenway. it's HUGE. and i thought some of those cruise ships here last summer were big...i ALWAYS forget to bring my camera with me.

It was cool from the bike path but the Police were really nice when I flashed my EMT badge and they let me up on the 2nd level to get really close. If you notice there are not really any people around where I was...just cops and Port Security. I did not even need a zoom to take the last picture of the front of the ship. I was so close it almost felt like I could touch it if my arms were a bit longer.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    You seized a great opportunity congrats dude on the great photos.

Thats a big ship!
    I heard on the news today that if you placed the ship on one end it would be the second tallest building in NYC behing the Empire State Building (R.I.P. World Trade Center). They also had to change the design so it would fit under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge which is the longest span suspension brdige in the world and it still only had 13 feet of clearance!

Jabberwocky Jockey

Damn

That's a boat!!

Cool shots...
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

try driving your car less
    that ship is OK, but that bike is wonderful.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Nice shots

I got to see her arrive from my Jersey City office. Quite a sight. I hope to take my bike to Hoboken and see her and the QE2 leave together on Sunday. Gotta' check out the times and dates first to make sure I have everything right.

I've cruised on the QE2, my father went to war on the original Queen Mary and my wife and I hope to do the trans-Atlantic thing on the QM2 in a few years. Sh!t, its only money. Don't want to leave too much to the kids after all.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    I got to see her arrive from my Jersey City office. Quite a sight. I hope to take my bike to Hoboken and see her and the QE2 leave together on Sunday. Gotta' check out the times and dates first to make sure I have everything right.

I've cruised on the QE2, my father went to war on the original Queen Mary and my wife and I hope to do the trans-Atlantic thing on the QM2 in a few years. Sh!t, its only money. Don't want to leave too much to the kids after all.....
    Hey, how come I can't see the pics?

When I was in the Navy, I sailed into New York harbor on an aircraft carrier (USS America CV66) for fleet week. I remember going under that bridge. From the flight deck looking up, I swear we were going to hit it. It looked close.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Military Ships

Quote Originally Posted by Circus Creature
    Hey, how come I can't see the pics?

When I was in the Navy, I sailed into New York harbor on an aircraft carrier (USS America CV66) for fleet week. I remember going under that bridge. From the flight deck looking up, I swear we were going to hit it. It looked close.
    The news mentioned yesterday that although the QM2 was very close, many Naval ships most lower antennas and other items to clear it.

mtbr member

Damn - it looked close on the Verrazano!

I was out that morning at 6:10 or so, riding on the path that goes under the bridge. It really looked like it was not going to make it.

Nice shots, nice bike, and it's nice to live in NYC sometimes, isn't it?

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

NYC is the Best

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie
    I was out that morning at 6:10 or so, riding on the path that goes under the bridge. It really looked like it was not going to make it.

Nice shots, nice bike, and it's nice to live in NYC sometimes, isn't it?

Sucks to get to trails but that is why I spend most of my time on the streets or in Central Park with a fixie or single-speed. I was born here, lived here my entire life exept for a few years in College at Syracuse but it was still New York State, and will probably die here. Manhattan is the place to be and I do not mean the Manhattans in KS, IL, MT, NV, CO, or FL.

mtbr member

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie
    Sucks to get to trails but that is why I spend most of my time on the streets or in Central Park with a fixie or single-speed. I was born here, lived here my entire life exept for a few years in College at Syracuse but it was still New York State, and will probably die here. Manhattan is the place to be and I do not mean the Manhattans in KS, IL, MT, NV, CO, or FL.

Hey, will that Kogswell be rolling in the 5-Boro next weekend?

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

No

Hey, will that Kogswell be rolling in the 5-Boro next weekend?

I have never done the 5-boro and have stayed away from it just becasue I have heard horror stories from friends. It seems that everyone that has not ridden thier bike in a year decides to take it out for a spin that day. I have heard of people waiting as long as 1 hour to get onto some of the bridges. I just do not know if I have the patience for it.

If you want to check out the Kogswell let me know; send me a PM. I live near Union Square and would gadly let you take it for a test ride. I have also been known to show up on the Critical Mass rides from time to time.
    http://www.times-up.org/cm.php

mtbr member

Cool.

I have never done the 5-boro and have stayed away from it just becasue I have heard horror stories from friends. It seems that everyone that has not ridden thier bike in a year decides to take it out for a spin that day. I have heard of people waiting as long as 1 hour to get onto some of the bridges. I just do not know if I have the patience for it.

If you want to check out the Kogswell let me know; send me a PM. I live near Union Square and would gadly let you take it for a test ride. I have also been known to show up on the Critical Mass rides from time to time.
    I'll PM you some time - i keep meaning to do a CM anyway.

Thanks.

zeebot
    I'll PM you some time - i keep meaning to do a CM anyway.

Thanks.
    what are the cm's???? i'm in manhattan too and have seen them mentioned a few times but havent researched or inquired as to what they are.

my friend that did the 5 boro last year said he had to wait forever to ride at the start...basically walking all the way up and through central park to the bronx but it cleared out and he was able to really rip through after getting out of manhattan.

i was going to do it this year then planned a vacation to pisgah for may 1st for a week.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Critical Mass Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    what are the cm's???? i'm in manhattan too and have seen them mentioned a few times but havent researched or inquired as to what they are.

my friend that did the 5 boro last year said he had to wait forever to ride at the start...basically walking all the way up and through central park to the bronx but it cleared out and he was able to really rip through after getting out of manhattan.

i was going to do it this year then planned a vacation to pisgah for may 1st for a week.
    The CM rides and information can be found here:

The first and only one I ever did was last October on Halloween. I cannot even tell you what a blast it was. I could not go to the after party but I heard it was just crazy. I am going to try and go next Friday. I will send you a PM if I go and maybe we can meet up.

Can you see me and the Kogswell?

Last edited by NYCfixie; 04-23-2004 at 06:53 PM.

zeebot
    The CM rides and information can be found here:

The first and only one I ever did was last October on Halloween. I cannot even tell you what a blast it was. I could not go to the after party but I heard it was just crazy. I am going to try and go next Friday. I will send you a PM if I go and maybe we can meet up.

Can you see me and the Kogswell?

Looks like fun. I'll be heading for pisgah next friday for a week so will have to be the next one! Having troubles seeing the kogswell...