Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

QR loosening problem

636 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BrianU 
#1 ·
I've got a Monocog Flight 29er with the stock rigid fork, and I've had trouble with the front QR coming loose after a moderate drop or repeatedly rough terrain (rooty/rocky sections of trail). It doesn't seem to be unscrewing though, the lever stays in the same position and just gets looser...is this a thread-stripping issue? Anybody have similar experiences and/or solutions?

#5 ·
Could be that the skewer isn't tight enough to begin with. Maybe is just feels tight until you hit something that exposes an underlying problem.

Cheap skewers can be difficult to get tight enough, and sometimes they feel tight but really aren't. Avoid the exposed-cam type skewer and get a set of Shimano XT skewers. Much easier to work with, and the extra piece of mind is great.

Posting pic of your setup might give others here more to go on. Oh, and sorry to ask a stupid question, but your low-post count requires it....
You did flip the lever closed after tightening, right?

#9 ·
QRs are most definately not created equal, follow amishscum's advice. There are QRs that cost more and look prettier, but when it comes to a standard 9mm QR, Shimano XTs set the standard for holding power. Watch for deals on eBay, I just picked up a new front XT QR for $9 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.