Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    230

    QR or bolt on for Hope Pro II SS hub, pros v cons?

    When running an eccentric bottom bracket , is there any advantage to using the bolt on option for the hope pro ii ss hub or is a quick release just as good, if not better? Trying to decide which way to have it set up. Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    If you're going to use it in a frame with vertical dropouts then QR should work fine. That being said, I would bolt it on anyway (I don't like QR).

  3. #3
    wish I was out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    the only downside to a bolt-on is the bit more work required to unlock it without a proper hex key (like the small one that comes in the Crank Bros mini tool)...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    33
    Will it fit the hub?

    my hope SS hub won't take a QR unless with some sort of adaptor.

  5. #5
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,605
    Correct, stock from HOPE, the SS/Trials hub has no flanges to sit in the drop outs to be able to use a QR skewer. Even if you could, why would you Takes a bit longer if you have to remove the rear wheel using a QR compared to the much stiff anf more solid bolt on option.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed_shep View Post
    Will it fit the hub?

    my hope SS hub won't take a QR unless with some sort of adaptor.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49
    I use the bolt on's. Takes like an extra 2 seconds to take the wheel off.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Takes a bit longer if you have to remove the rear wheel using a QR compared to the much stiff and more solid bolt on option.
    are the bolts really stiffer and more solid? and even if they are, are they overkill? I've never had a problem with a rear wheel moving around in the drop outs with a QR. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just looking for the facts to make a solid decision.

    I'll be honest here that part of my motivation for the QR is style (color choices) but the convenience of QR vs bolts is kind of nice.

    Having said that, if the bolts truly are superior and justifiable (i.e. QR's have been shown inadequate and bolts are more than adequate strength) then I can easily get over the fashion and convenience.

  8. #8
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,590
    Yes.
    While I too love Q/R's, and never had any issues...
    Why spend $$ to convert a SS specific hub designed to work well in all dropouts,
    back to one that works best only in vertical drops?
    IME - save your $$, you'll quickly get used to the stock 8mm bolts.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  9. #9
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Bolt on. No worries and much stronger.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,057
    I've got bolts on my Hope Pro II's on a bike with an EBB. Works well and have had no issues. That said, if I had a choice and were willing to spend the money and few min of work, I would go QR. 1. I don't have to fumble in my bag for an allen wrench and 2. Faster on-off.

    For me, the only reason why I would go bolt-on is if I had a frame with track ends (and I would go 15mm bolts for that) and theft deterrant.

    Performance wise, I notice ZERO difference between the two (I've got two bikes with EBB, one QR and one bolt on rear). Just make sure you use quality skewers, like Shimano or Salsa.

  11. #11
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,605
    To me yes, using bolt on instead of a QR adds overall frame stiffness, nothing to do with wheel moving in the drops. Going back in my mind, I don't even think you can get a conversion axle from hope to do what you're asking, before you get your hopes up better give them a shout and ask

    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    are the bolts really stiffer and more solid? and even if they are, are they overkill? I've never had a problem with a rear wheel moving around in the drop outs with a QR. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just looking for the facts to make a solid decision.

    I'll be honest here that part of my motivation for the QR is style (color choices) but the convenience of QR vs bolts is kind of nice.

    Having said that, if the bolts truly are superior and justifiable (i.e. QR's have been shown inadequate and bolts are more than adequate strength) then I can easily get over the fashion and convenience.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I don't even think you can get a conversion axle from hope to do what you're asking, before you get your hopes up better give them a shout and ask
    The conversion kit is definitely available. Mike C (Lacemine29) is building a set of wheels for me and he offered to set the hub up either way, no difference in cost. He said that you can order the hub from HOPE in either configuration and that the end caps are easily obtained through HOPE, lbs or through him.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I've got bolts on my Hope Pro II's on a bike with an EBB. Works well and have had no issues. That said, if I had a choice and were willing to spend the money and few min of work, I would go QR. 1. I don't have to fumble in my bag for an allen wrench and 2. Faster on-off.

    For me, the only reason why I would go bolt-on is if I had a frame with track ends (and I would go 15mm bolts for that) and theft deterrant.

    Performance wise, I notice ZERO difference between the two (I've got two bikes with EBB, one QR and one bolt on rear). Just make sure you use quality skewers, like Shimano or Salsa.
    Almost similar to my experience and setup. Bolt-on on my Jabber with track ends, and Halo Hex skewers on my vertical drop out Honzo (and previous vertical drop out frames). I really don't notice a difference either. Just like my seatpost collar, I really don't care for a QR. A hex bolt is much cleaner and less finicky imo, and its not that hard to pull out my multi-tool for adjustments.

    BTW, I think this is the conversion kit:
    wiggle.com | Hope Pro 2 Evo MTB Rear 10mm Bolt-In Conversion Kit | Hub Spares

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I've got bolts on my Hope Pro II's on a bike with an EBB. Works well and have had no issues. That said, if I had a choice and were willing to spend the money and few min of work, I would go QR. 1. I don't have to fumble in my bag for an allen wrench and 2. Faster on-off.

    For me, the only reason why I would go bolt-on is if I had a frame with track ends (and I would go 15mm bolts for that) and theft deterrant.

    Performance wise, I notice ZERO difference between the two (I've got two bikes with EBB, one QR and one bolt on rear). Just make sure you use quality skewers, like Shimano or Salsa.
    I agree with this. I was on the bolt-on/thru bolt band wagon for a while and my conclusion is they are kinda overrated. Use Shimano skewers and you are all set, and now taking wheels on/off is just the silky smooth flip of a lever. I am now on QR's for all my wheels. Hope SS QR end caps are available from No-tubes.

    Hope Pro II NRB SS QR End Caps
    Hope Pro II EVO SS QR End Caps

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    I asked Hope if there was a conversion kit for the Pro 2 EVO SS/trial hub. Not available. So the question is moot. You are stuck with bolts if you want to go for this hub.

    In saying that, I have had zero issues with mine. And it does not take much longer to repair a flat. You just have to change the order in which you do things (ie remove camelbak first to get tool/tube, instead of remove wheel first).

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    You just have to change the order in which you do things (ie remove camelbak first to get tool/tube, instead of remove wheel first).
    You mean add in a step or two. Not a huge deal, but I still prefer a QR. The bolts do look cleaner, though.

    Regarding conversion, I thought you could use the items psychler posted to convert to QR.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    Change the order and add in a quick step or two

    Those adaptors are only good for the non-EVO hubs I believe. The EVO hubs are not convertible, last I heard.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Change the order and add in a quick step or two

    Those adaptors are only good for the non-EVO hubs I believe. The EVO hubs are not convertible, last I heard.
    The pro II ss hubs are absolutely convertible. The parts are even shown on hope's part spec diagram.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    I stand corrected then. Could you please post up the information showing that the EVO SS hub is QR. Might prove useful

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    33
    yeah it is the part number is HUB250 or HUB249 for EVO versions.

    Do you want performance or Convenience?

    Performance - Bolts
    Convenience - QR

    But you may not be able to tell the performance benefits. I doubt i would if I'm honest as I have a salsa with swing style dropouts. So like you with a ebb the hub isn't going to move.

    Track dropouts I'd take bolts every time.

  21. #21
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,605
    Wasn't something available when I got mine nearly 5 years ago, but then again there seem to have been a few changes - mine used 2 small bearings where it now shows a longer roller bearing. They also didn't have the end caps for the front to accept 9mm bolt throughs like the DT RWS either, had to drill out the standard 9mm QR end caps to use the RWS skewer.

    Thanks for the heads up on this, guessing the new roller bearing and end caps should also fit my old one, sad that the hole in the axle only allows for a normal 5mm QR though and not something like a DT Swiss RWS, but I'll do a bit of digging, might be the 12mm axle would allow that
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    The pro II ss hubs are absolutely convertible. The parts are even shown on hope's part spec diagram.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Similar Threads

  1. Center lock vs. 6-bolt. Pros/Cons?
    By Porschefan in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  2. Pros and Cons?
    By Sarguy in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM
  3. Pros-Cons
    By JMac47 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
  4. Pros and Cons of 29ers?
    By xycose in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM
  5. URT? SS Pros and Cons
    By IBBW in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •