mtbr member
    Oct 2006

QR or 10 mm thru bolt for karate Monkey?

I guys,

I'm building a karate monkey bike for SS. I have to select my rear hub and have to decide which axel do I need. I.'m looking for a Hope pro 2 on stan arch ex rim. Should I go with standard QR or should I go with 10 mm thru bolt? Will I see the difference in the stiffness of the rear wheel with the thru bolt? I'm not to heavy ( 150 lbs). If I go with QR is there some slippage issue with horizontal dropout? I have a surly tugnutt to tension the chain. Is the tugnut compatible with thru bolt?

thank's for you help

Math

mtbr member
    The Tuggnut is designed for a 10mm axle or thru bolt. An adapter is needed for a QR.

I'd run the thru bolt
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    I will second the 10 mm thru-bolt. I have a KM and use a tuggnut on it as well. if you are dead-set on a QR don't skimp on quality. get the highest quality one you can afford.
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc
    Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
    Surly Puglsey
    Masi Gran Corsa

mtbr member

Re: QR or 10 mm thru bolt for karate Monkey?

Why not use the hope ss hub. Has giant allen bolts. No slipping with this. No tug nuts needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What do you suggest? If I choose the QR option, I Know that the XT QR are good. For the thru bolt option should I go with this: DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt Alloy

thank's

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes, I know that will be the best, but I want to keep the option to upgrade to gear if needed. SS is not very popular here, so if I want to sale the wheelset later that will be easier with a standard hub.

thank's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berube View Post
    What do you suggest? If I choose the QR option, I Know that the XT QR are good. For the thru bolt option should I go with this: DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt Alloy

thank's
    I'd get a Hadley thru bolt, half the price and works great
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    I have stans 3.30 hubs with a Hadley bolt on my KM. at 22 Newton meters, that thing does not slip. No need for a Tugnut.

mtbr member
    The Surly Tuggnut comes with the QR adaptor, and it's not too hard to make one yourself if you lost it.

With thru-bolt you don't need one. (Or with a good quality QR at a proper clamping force for that matter.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ran qr with xt hubs for over a year. Then I saw an article on mtbr about converting to a solid axle. I went for it, and converted mine. I love it! It was totally worth it. It is much stiffer and stronger (nothing wrong with xt qr, I just wanted something that didn't slip). I ended up just putting on a cheap cromoly axle from local bike shop ($10). 2000 miles later, it's still going strong.