mtbr member

Q for those running RF X-type cranks

Ok, I just installed RF deus crank. A few questions.

(1) I have both park and pedros tool for 960 xtr bb, and RF bb should use the same tool, however, I had very hard time fitting both tools on the bb. I am afraid that I will have hard time taking it off after torturing it. Has anyone had the same problem?

(2) How tight should cups be screwd in? The instruction says firm - both fitting rings are plastic, and I can keep screwing cups in till both rings will snap. So, how firm is firm?

Thanx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    ...(1) I have both park and pedros tool for 960 xtr bb, and RF bb should use the same tool, however, I had very hard time fitting both tools on the bb. I am afraid that I will have hard time taking it off after torturing it. Has anyone had the same problem?....
    Yes. The Pedro's tool fit the RF gold cups fine but not the black DeusX ones. The Park tool fit perfectly for me. Do what i did and take the BB with the tool in with you to your LBS and find one that fits better.
    ...both fitting rings are plastic, .....
    Fitting rings?

mtbr member

(1) I have both park and pedros tool for 960 xtr bb, and RF bb should use the same tool, however, I had very hard time fitting both tools on the bb. I am afraid that I will have hard time taking it off after torturing it. Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanx.
    I found that the Park BBT-9 tool fits perfectly.

(2) How tight should cups be screwd in? The instruction says firm - both fitting rings are plastic, and I can keep screwing cups in till both rings will snap. So, how firm is firm?

Thanx.
    Hmmm, "firm" made sense to me. Near as I can tell, the cups are made of aluminum, and you can crank 'em down nice and tight. What are these plastic fitting rings you speak of?

Other tips:

Be sure to tighten the RH crank bolt until the crank bottoms out on the spindle. Use a long-handle 8mm wrench. As the directions say, it's a hard stop and you will not be able to tighten the bolt further. It helps to do a few install/remove cycles to overcome the initial roughness in the interface. Bring a long-handle 8mm wrench along on your first few rides and periodically check to see if the assembly has loosened. After re-tightening it once or twice, it'll stay tight.

Don't be surprised if you find the assembly to be either too loose or too tight during the initial installation. Follow the troubleshooting guide to remedy the situation. For example: My Deus crankset is installed on a Bushnell EBB. Even though this is a machined surface and its width is in-spec, I still found the crank assembly to be too tight. Removing one 1mm spacer seal from the non-drive side fixed the problem.

Enjoy your new crankset until the bearings are shot. Then, instead of dealing with the Race Face warranty, do yourself a favor and send the cups to Phil Wood for retrofitting. They'll turn 'em around in less than a week. Or if you want to limit the downtime, you can order some Phil-retrofitted Shimano cups. They usually have some Dura-Ace or XTR cups in-stock, both of which are compatible with the Race Face crankset.