Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pwned

Ovaries on the Outside

pwned

On the interwebs I posted about the 10 speed mountain cassettes being totally unnecessary because you only need one cog. Some guy flamed me and not only told me I'd be faster with gears, but if I wanted to actually be fast, I'd have to get gears.

People are so mean on the interwebs and I can't take him for a ride to show him otherwise.

I'm sad.

monkey
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    :wq

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ummmm.... I don't see the point. You like SS, he likes gears. So what? Do you really feel a need to convince everyone of your point of view? Do you have some sort of holier-than-thou superiority complex that tells you that you are right and everyone else who disagrees needs to be 'corrected'?

I like SS too, by the way. I don't care how fast I am. I ride my bike and have fun doing it. Pass a gearie on a climb? Sure. Does that make me superior or more correct by virtue of my equipment? No.

Are you a racer? Do you race SS in the open class? If so, and you win, then you and lots of other people already know you are fast. If not, then just go ride... while you're at it, accept the fact that unless you can spin at 500rpm, a geared bike will have a higher top speed than your SS.

mtbr member
    Nice job. That worked out well.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    ummmm.... I don't see the point. You like SS, he likes gears. So what? Do you really feel a need to convince everyone of your point of view? Do you have some sort of holier-than-thou superiority complex that tells you that you are right and everyone else who disagrees needs to be 'corrected'?

I like SS too, by the way. I don't care how fast I am. I ride my bike and have fun doing it. Pass a gearie on a climb? Sure. Does that make me superior or more correct by virtue of my equipment? No.

Are you a racer? Do you race SS in the open class? If so, and you win, then you and lots of other people already know you are fast. If not, then just go ride... while you're at it, accept the fact that unless you can spin at 500rpm, a geared bike will have a higher top speed than your SS.
    Try again, but with more brevity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Brevity is the soul of wit... but it makes such poor troll food.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    aw come on guys dont let this part of the forums become what The free ride DH or VRC forum has become. I couldn't bare my favorite forum to die like this.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think one of my posts was yanked.

In any case, I wasn't trying to slam sunset1123, nor to I fully disagree with anything he said, I was having a laugh at getting flamed.

~Disc~Golf~
    well, you can go faster w/ gears...that's a fact
    so...what's your point?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    well, you can go faster w/ gears...that's a fact
    so...what's your point?
    Hypothetically, I entirely agree. Personal experience says otherwise. The 4-17mph I need to do on singletrack is easily accomplished spinning, and faster than that on the downhills doesn't require pedaling anyway. The only difference I've found riding with similarly conditioned/skilled riders on gears is that at the bases of hills I have to give whoever I'm following more space, as I carry more momentum. On road rides the difference between my SS and peoplels gears is more pronounced. That being said:

I don't see the point. You like SS, he likes gears. So what? Do you really feel a need to convince everyone of your point of view? Do you have some sort of holier-than-thou superiority complex that tells you that you are right and everyone else who disagrees needs to be 'corrected'?
    I didn't correct the guy that flamed me, I just said I prefer SS over 10 speed cassettes. I don't care if someone prefers gears, but I do know that this whole rant was based off assumptions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No assumptions. You said you didn't have the opportunity to correct him - "show him otherwise" - and this disappointed you - "I'm sad". I realize my wording was a little harsh, but your post definitely showed some need to push your point-of-view that SS was faster.

In the end, I'm still going to disagree with you. There are fast riders and not-as-fast riders. Some riders are downright slow-a$$. But not one bike with any kind of gearing goes very far without one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you say "require" pedaling downhill... being faster requires pedalling faster...
    dunno about you, but when I'm making tracks I pedal down hills as well as up.
    if you want to try to argue that spinning a 32x16 really fast is going to make you faster than spinning a 44x11 really fast then you've got another thing coming.
    how could your personal experience say that having twice the gear inches can't make you quicker when the terrain calls for it?!

I'm not arguing the whole ride top to bottom, there are certainly people and trails where the speed you achieve on one section of the trail on the SS more than makes up for the lack of speed on the rest of the trail.
    I'm arguing that with a plethora of goofy gears you can find a perfect ratio everywhere.

Still generally a waste of time to have so many gears, and I only have loadsa gears on the full squish myself... but you can't argue that proper gearing for every occassion is an easy way to achieve speed everywhere.
    (oh yeah, my full squish is also my "travel bike", recently built, and I don't remember exactly how long the trails up to Tlaya are, so I'm erring on the safe side there)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Kosher Princess
    Brevity is the soul of wit... but it makes such poor troll food.
    INTERPRETER: More intensity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There's nothing wrong with somebody being a fan of gears.

But, seriously. Is there really a ****ing purpose to a 10 speed cassette over a 9 or even 8? I fail to see the point beyond the 7/8 barrier.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted

But, seriously. Is there really a ****ing purpose to a 10 speed cassette over a 9 or even 8? I fail to see the point beyond the 7/8 barrier.
    agreed 100%
    9-spds are already ridiculous...now 10s??!
    c'mon
    gimmie a fukkin break
    Honestly... ahh I give up

iRonic
    Something I've found having both geared and ss is...

With one gear, my leg strength is higher, but my lung capacity is lower. I can crank up a hill in a surprisingly high gear, but I lose my breath quicker if I'm spinning too fast. With gears, I can spin faster and longer. However also tend to reach muscle failure quicker if I choose the ss ratio or closer uphill. A combo of both and I choose a higher gear on the geared bike than I probably would if I hadn't been riding the ss in a while.
    Ron

Chronic 1st-timer
    If I had carbon-belt drive, I'd be so much faster than all of youse uncouth loosers still running chains!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Who needs a bike? I run. It's more naturaler.

Drinking the Slick_Juice

beyond 3 is too far
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

iRonic
    Maybe the answer lay in a Sturmey-Archer three speed equipped All-Mountain Bike!
    Ron

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I won't lie. There have been times where I've been on a trail and thought, man, if only I had that lower gear right now...

That's around the time I'll hear my geared buddy with the grinding of mis-shifting and the WAP WAP WAP as he bunny hops a obstacle.

Insta-smile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's around the time I'll hear my geared buddy with the grinding of mis-shifting and the WAP WAP WAP as he bunny hops a obstacle.

Insta-smile.
    Having just recently started riding fixed off-road, I don't know yet, but I wonder if experienced fixers get the insta-smile when they hear cheap freehubs skipping pawls, or the lopsided swarm of bees from an out-of-round freewheel, possibly followed by the horrible sounds of chain-launch and swearing...

This is the second morning in a row that I've come up behind hikers (not too close, mind you) and they jumped about a mile at my "on your left". "You're so quiet! I didn't even hear you."

Yeah... stealth bike.

mtbr member
    Yesterday, on my SS cross bike, I passed a guy on a Madone. His look of disbelief made for a man hug.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

Just goes to show that a $7,000 bike does not make for a fast rider. We've got the high-dollar spandeXC crew up here from time to time out 'training' on some of the easier trails... They seem kind of reluctant to let me pass sometimes, as if I couldn't possibly be outpacing them. Yesterday I got a really confused look from one of these riders when they caught up to me back at the TH "what do you mean it doesn't coast? Did your freehub seize up?" hahahaha...

t's been said before, and I'll say it again: It's not the bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast