mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Putting a 100mm fork on a Bianchi SASS.

I'm sure this issue has been addressed many, many times, but I couldn't come up with the right question to ask through the search function.

I have the chance to get a Bianchi SASS frame. It has a rigid 26" fork and I want to put a 100mm fork on it. I'm aware of the front wheel "unweighting" issues associated with putting such a fork on a frame that it wasn't designed for, but my understanding of the issue is unweighting becomes a concern when you are seated while climbing.

On a singlespeed I always stand when climbing; so if that's the case, is unweighting an issue if I put the 100mm fork on? Are there other issues I'm missing or overlooking that should guide me away from putting the fork on?

Thanks for your input and patience.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    it turns slow and tends to push the front end in turns. I have 100mm on my puss and it really aint the best.

mtbr member
    Get a Fox and try it at 100 and if it doesn't feel good, put the 20mm spacer in there and run it at 80. I had a SASS with an 80mm fork on it and it handled great.

openwound
    I have an F100x on my sass. I've got the spacer in there to step it down. The weird thing is that, though the spacer is reducing the travel, it didn't seem to reduce the static height. (at least that I seem to be able to tell) Though 20mm is not that huge of a difference.

ISAR is right, it's a tad slow steering when it's at the full length. It's not intolerable, just not ideal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't know enough about forks to know what your are talking about when you suggest putting in 20mm spacers? I have an almost brand new Manitou Minute fork, can 20mm spacers be installed on that fork? I also have a 80mm fork on another bike, would I be better off using that fork than the 100mm one?

openwound
    The 100mm Fox fork that I have (and most of their forks, I think) can be opened up and, by installing a small spacer on one of the internal shafts (compression damper?) the travel can be stepped down by the size of the spacer. In my case, I installed a 20mm spacer, thus the resulting fork travel is 80mm.

I'm don't know anything about reducing the travel on Manitou forks, though it's conceivable that it could be done. Give their customer service a shout or check the Manitou forum.

mtbr member
    Manitous can NOT be taken down from 100 to 80 (just asked Shanon at Manitou a week or two ago).

The SASS is suspension corrected for an 80mm fork- meaning the geometry of the bike was built to accept and measure essentially the same with an 80mm suspension fork on it as it does with the stock rigid fork on it. So, yes, you might be better off putting your 80mm fork on there. Or, again, try the 100mm manitou and see if you like how it feels. You may not notice a difference. Personally, I don't like the "feel" of manitou forks, but it's a personal thing...

NedwannaB

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    So, yes, you might be better off putting your 80mm fork on there. Or, again, try the 100mm manitou and see if you like how it feels. You may not notice a difference. Personally, I don't like the "feel" of manitou forks, but it's a personal thing...
    Plus as I recall the Minute 100 I had was about 1/2" longer then my Fox 100. You didn't mention what type the other bike was but yes the 100mm may work better on it.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

DISS with Fox F100RLC

Ran that set up for years, no issues climbing, like others have said, if you don't like it drop the Fox 100mm down to 80mm. I think the frame geometries are similar, I started out with the rigid Bianchi fork, swapped it out for a Fox. Now on a WUSS with F100RLC.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    you can run it with more sag and it will help you when you hit 'negative" hits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I pulled the trigger. It turns out the frame is a WUSS, not a SASS. From Bikepedia, the frame is configured for an 85mm travel fork. The 100mm fork I have has been on a Kona Kikapu Deluxe. I am going to try both the 100mm and the 80mm travel forks and see how it goes. Thanks for your collective inputs, I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the DISS and have ran a 120mm fork in the past with no problems. I now run a 3" travel Lefty and will soon be converting over to 650b, in which the frame can handle...I did it last weekend (I borrowed a friends 650b KHS) and it had a 100mm fork.
    I do not think you'll have any negitives with a 100mm fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Putting a 100mm fork on a Bianchi SASS.-pa170881.jpg  

Putting a 100mm fork on a Bianchi SASS.-pa170885.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 10-20-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: @#$$

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice! Mine's a WUSS, but I'm hoping it will be as nasty looking.

SSOD
    I run have a 100m sid on my WUSS and I don't notice it being to sluggish. Awesome frames, hope you enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here is my WUSS built up with the 100mm float Manitou Minute fork. I rode it today and it was great! One weird thing is I can't get the King headset tight - there is this little bit of play that despite my efforts to tighten everything down, it still remains? What's up with that - any suggestions?

http://sz0165.wc.mail.comcast.net/se...=302340&part=2

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    careful on loose corners, that thing WILL push the front out on you.

BTW, link no workie.

metrotuned WoS
    gotta go, its a couple things:

1) you haven't preloaded by tightening down on the steerer tube headset cap. Your stem should be loose when you take this action. It will preload everything tight and then you can tighten your stem.

2) Your steerer tube is too long and thus your headset cap doesnt sit flush within the stem.

3) You dont have a crown race on your fork - eeek.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Beats me how to post a picture here? I did figure out my headset problem was # 2. on your list. Thanks. For getting back to me. Cheers.