Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    The Top Cap Guy
    Reputation: Fast Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    948

    Pugsley - Who's First?

    Who will be the first here with a Pugsley - the Surly blog claims they are instock now!! I want one but need to organize some money first... and the disc rims are not available yet...FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,058
    It is now in the QBP database.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    As the blog says, only a small batch came in. I see 21 framesets on the list. all sizes, but the 20" takes up 12. So be quick!
    I'd love to get one, am very pleased they also made a 22" of it.
    The Pugsley would hardly see any snow use in my hands, but lots of sandy trails that just get too loose to ride over summer, plus some beach cruising, perhaps beach racing. But this might also be the ideal bike for a strong rider to enjoy group rides better, and gt in a serious workout. The Surly tires are too fast for this, so get a pair of 3.0" Nokians, or worse : lace some moto rims to MTB hubs.
    You get a bomber ride, that even requires muscle to get around a corner on regular trails, let alone do sustained rolling and climbing on. Plus, the plush of a short travel XC bike, without the technology that will break.

    Claimed weight for the Pugsley fork is 80g less (1140g) than the KM fork, cost is 21% more
    Frameset costs 28% more than the KM set.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    858

    ok FF....

    as your bicycle addiction coach I must engage now! What the hell would you do with this thing? I'll admit its fun and cool, but where in our area would you ride it?

    By the way, were going to the UniteRide next Saturday, be there or get called funny names.

    http://www.spokejunkies.com/uniteride2005.gif

    MC


    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Who will be the first here with a Pugsley - the Surly blog claims they are instock now!! I want one but need to organize some money first... and the disc rims are not available yet...FF

  6. #6
    Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Reputation: Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    I love the "fatties fit fine" sticker on the stays.
    Now with more vitriol!

  7. #7
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    Haha, indeed! But now that this frame gets the sticker, can their others still wear it?

    Being that I don't have a Pugsley, I now find it hard to think of a ride where I WOULDN'T take it as my first choice. Heaviest bike I'd own. S,owest also. Probably rotten gears. I'd still ride it everything, and become really strong.
    Just now on MSN I was fantasizing with a buddy, about taking a few Pugsley's and shovels to the beach. Dig a few tables, doubles and berms first, set up a wodka&jus bar (for the chicka's), and put on some good music. Should make for a hell of a party!.

  8. #8
    The Top Cap Guy
    Reputation: Fast Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    948
    Where will I ride it - am I supposed to ride these bike thingys? I thought you buy them and fix them up cool - hang them in garage for a while - then sell it.....lol.... well seel - my bike addicition is in check - I've sold 2 bikes off and now need another... I mean who can survive on 2 bikes alone? The Basso Roadie is gone - yep fixed roadie is all that is left - and the Carbon NRS is gone... leaving the Spicer as the lone Mtn bike... I'm 100% One Speed as we speak. I figure the Pugsley would be so heavy it would be a great Training bike to ride with my friends that are just beginning. Paul moved to Greensboro NC as of this weekend for good (new better job) and so my old biking frinds are just now getting back into it and I ride too fast for them (man that is bad - because I'm not fast...lol) and I figured if I went to see Paul in NC I could survive as the monster tires would be somewhat of a suspension for me without having to buy a dually for down there...

    Unite Ride... get the names ready... I'm not sure I'm in yet... probably will get the ok from the wife with the family schedule this week... what kind of gear should I run there... I've been cruising on a 36x19 lately with no problems....

    FF

    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    as your bicycle addiction coach I must engage now! What the hell would you do with this thing? I'll admit its fun and cool, but where in our area would you ride it?

    By the way, were going to the UniteRide next Saturday, be there or get called funny names.

    http://www.spokejunkies.com/uniteride2005.gif

    MC
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    858

    If you...

    don't start riding off road more you'll turn into:

    "Formally Fast Freddy" Hey, that might work on the chain stay of that Smugsly...

    Gears for Dillon...hmmm, probably 32x18 or higher, its pretty flat, but there are some rock gardens and one nice 3'er. When I say flat, Caesers is like 10 times hillier.

    I remember the trail as gentle grades 80% smooth, but a few rock gardens in one or two spots. Nice place to ride.

    Hope you can make it. Let me know if you need a ride and I'll pick you up on the way.

    MC


    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Where will I ride it - am I supposed to ride these bike thingys? I thought you buy them and fix them up cool - hang them in garage for a while - then sell it.....lol.... well seel - my bike addicition is in check - I've sold 2 bikes off and now need another... I mean who can survive on 2 bikes alone? The Basso Roadie is gone - yep fixed roadie is all that is left - and the Carbon NRS is gone... leaving the Spicer as the lone Mtn bike... I'm 100% One Speed as we speak. I figure the Pugsley would be so heavy it would be a great Training bike to ride with my friends that are just beginning. Paul moved to Greensboro NC as of this weekend for good (new better job) and so my old biking frinds are just now getting back into it and I ride too fast for them (man that is bad - because I'm not fast...lol) and I figured if I went to see Paul in NC I could survive as the monster tires would be somewhat of a suspension for me without having to buy a dually for down there...

    Unite Ride... get the names ready... I'm not sure I'm in yet... probably will get the ok from the wife with the family schedule this week... what kind of gear should I run there... I've been cruising on a 36x19 lately with no problems....

    FF

  10. #10
    The Top Cap Guy
    Reputation: Fast Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    948
    So If I gear a little tougher than Ceasar's I'll be ok? Have to get my Mom to babysit for the afternoon (wife has a hair appointment she can't cancel), but looks like no big deal. Need to be home around 5-6PM... may drive seperate for that reason - but I'm pretty sure I'm in...

    And since I'm going I expect to hear - Freakin Fast Freddy.....lol

    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Similar Threads

  1. surly pugsley
    By messofzero in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
  2. Surly Pugsley....
    By endurowanker in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
  3. Pat has Pugsley
    By patirwin in forum Alaska
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 08:49 PM
  4. Surly Pugsley
    By col200 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 09:17 PM
  5. mmmm.... pugsley...
    By wonko_the_chain in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •