No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Proper bottom bracket squeak procedure

Howdy. Not new to mountain biking (my main ride is an Astrix Monk), but am new to SS. I recently got a used '07 Cannondale Caffeine F29, converted to SS.

Not a huge fan of aluminum HT out on our rough AZ trails, but SS sure is a challenge. Biggest issue with the bike is the constant loud squeaking from the crank/bottom bracket area when I'm standing and torquing the pedals.

The crankset on the bike -- an old set of Truvativ Hussefelts -- are super beat, but the PO said he'd put a new bottom bracket in. Thinking the cranks were shot, I scored a nice deal on some Race Face cranks for ~$50 from Blue Sky. Converted them to single ring -- 32 Blackspire SS ring -- with Spot guide.

Greased up the BB axle, slapped those cranks on and, of course, still creaking. Chain is good, pedals are new, ring is new, cranks are new. Only happens when I'm standing and pedaling.

Today I disassembled the BB. It's a Truvativ Giga-pipe and does appear to be pretty new, but the threads didn't have much grease. There was some dirty and junk in the BB shell. All is now clean.

Question: Is there a preferred method to properly installing for a creak-free finish? Plenty of grease on the cups? Or teflon tape? Should I grease the Isis ends of the axle that the cranks press fit onto? Finally, should I grease the two bolts that hold the cranks arms on? Sorry for the length and thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is likely that it is the EBB and not the bottom bracket.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    As stated, the bike was originally geared, converted to SS. Therefore, no EBB.

mtbr member
    May be a long shot but I had a similar problem and could have SWORN it was coming from the BB. Took it to my LBS and he said "let me try something".

Tightened the headset and the noise vanished. Aparently when you're really torquing on the pedals you're also crankin pretty hard from side to side on the bars on a SS so if the headsets loose it gets noisy. Might be worth a shot. Otherwise I'd see if you can get a hold of a torque wrench or take it to the bike shop and make sure the BB/crank bolt is torqued right.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. It's a Caffeine with a Lefty, so it's got that awesome Lefty headset setup. Everything is torqued properly, but I'll double-check. I'm about 95% it's coming from the BB as I can feel it through the pedals.

mtbr member
    Grease or Anti-seize the BB shell threads. Teflon tape the BB threads. Also make sure that the BB axle, crank bolts, pedals and your cleats are prepped and installed per the mfr's instructions. Also your chainring bolts.

Its also possible for squeaks to originate from your pedal/cleat interface, especially if it is already dry and dusty in AZ.

one chain loop
    check the frame for cracks.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I kept getting this awful clicking once on my ride and I had completely torn down my cranks/bb twice trying to figure it out.

I have 2-piece pedals that ended up being the culprit. It's all about a bunch of grease when you're assembling everything.

mtbr member

chain ring bolts

I had a similar problem recently. To make a long story short it was the chain ring bolts. Make sure they're torqued to spec. I also ended up giving each a couple drops of machine oil. Wiping away excess after soaking for a couple hrs. Doesn't attract dust and the squeak is gone. Won't cost you anything so give it a shot.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    I have the same problem on my 08 Ferrous 29er with EBB. I love the bike, my only complaint is the Creaking. I have had it in the shop 3 times in the last 8 months and it continually creaks. LBS lubes it up and creaking comes back within a day or 2 of riding.
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Moots Rigormootis
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    Bridgestone MB1, MB2, & MB4

Yo!
    mtbr member
    "Aside from the whoosh of the tires on the road, and the clicking of the freewheel, a bicycle should be silent"

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It was the BB. Reassembled with anti-sieze and teflon tape and all is well.