mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Propensity for stiff links; A single-speed thing?

I didn't think much of it when I had to loosen a few stiff links when putting a new chain (KMC Z610HX) on but figured stiff links to be a manufacturing issue not a wear issue.

It has turned out to be an ongoing issue now that the chain is in service and I don't understand why. I have never had this trouble with my geared bikes.

The chain is cleaned and lubed regularly.

Any insight?

mtbr member
    I volunteer at the local co op and i've seen alot of that on our "demo" bikes that we teach kids/adults on. On that bike it's from the pins not being in properly, either too far or not far enough. Are you using a master link system or are you breaking it if and when you take it apart?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use a master link and find several stiff links at a time. It's not limited to just one link or something.

mtbr member
    Hmmm - I always use that chain (KMC Z610HX) and I've never had that problem with any of them. Maybe just a on-off occurence?

mtbr member
    Yep, there's something up with that particular chain. It's not a SS issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Are you sure that your chainline is correct? Is this a brand new chain or did you get it from somebody else who may have tried to use it on a bike with derailleurs? If it's none of those then I agree that it's probably a manufacturing fault and you should contact KMC. They'll probably ask you to return it to them and then send you a new one.

Contact Us_KMC Chain

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The chain was installed new and has about 400 miles on it. The chainline is good (measured) and I use a Surly SS cog. The chainring, however, is not SS specific. (34/18 BTW)

Before installing the Surly cog I would occasionally throw the chain but I don't think I ever have since.

I can understand how a chain might be manufactured with a couple stiff links but do not understand how a properly lubed chain would develop them with use. That's the mystery as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bugshield View Post
    Before installing the Surly cog I would occasionally throw the chain but I don't think I ever have since.
    Aha! That sounds like there was something wrong with your old cog. If it was badly worn then it damaged your new chain.