Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Practical Builds

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Funrover 
#1 ·
I am in the process of building up a new singlespeed, and was curious to see other peoples practical builds. I am not building mine up using the most blingy parts, but most practical. What I consider practical is a reasonably priced part, ease of trailside maintenance, and the lifespan of the product.

My build (Parts I have):
Frame: Surly 1X1
Brakes: Avid Mechanicals bb7
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore
Handle Bar: Easton EA50 2 in. rise
Stem: EA 50 (Considering purchasing something different)
Crankset: (Looking for a practical part) - #1 on list right now is a Deore Level w/external bottom bracket
Headset: (Looking for a practical part) Probably King / Cane Creek ( I'd rather purchase something less expensive than a king)
Wheelset: XT hubs laced to mavic 819's
Seat Post: Ritchey
Seat: (Looking for a practical part)
Grips: ODI Lock ons
Chain: PC-1 Nickel
Fork: Surly 1X1 / Fox Talas RLC
Chainring: (Looking for a practical part)
Cog: Surly 18T / 17T
Cables: ???? Probably going with something super basic for now

Post up yours, I am definately interested to see what other people have built up...... If you don't consider mine practical, I have had alot of the parts for a while if that makes it any better!

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine-had it a long time =)

2002 Redline Monocog

Frame: stock
Fork: '02 Fox 125RL
Wheelset: Stock (2nd or 3rd set) 20t cog
Tires: IRC Mytos 2.1"
Brakes: Shimano Deore LX V's/levers
Bars/stem: On One Mary/Salsa Motoace (for now,I may go back to the Truvativ Teams/both)
Seat/post: Bontrager Ti railled/Nashbar
Crankset/BB: Truvativ Hussefelt SS (32t)/Gigapipe splined
Pedals: Throw-away platforms that came on an OEM something-or-other

#3 ·
I think your build looks pretty solid, very practical to me! From a cost/value to durability standpoint - I think you could easily pick-up a Cane Creek S-6 or S-8 from your LBS or even fleaBay for less than the price of a King headset. Don't get me wrong, the King headsets are fine and dandy, for sure. Bling-bling, get-what'cha-pay-for, blah-blah-blah...Fact remains, there are some excellent choices out there - and Cane Creek is very, very solid, IMHO. I just removed a King headset from my SS and replaced w/ a Cane Creek 110. And for another bike, I'm removing the Ritchey headset and replacing w/ a Cane Creek S-8 headset. As for saddle, kinda depends on your shape - more than anything, really. I mean, if you've ridden WTB saddles and you like some of the saddle shapes they offer - I would recommend their saddle, in a leather w/ cro-mo rails. Good cost-savings across the board, but certainly reliable materials that should last quite some time. Didn't really see tires on your list...What are you planning to run? What kind of riding do you do - and where? Classics include: Panaracer (Dart/Smoke or Fire XC), WTB Velociraptors. Seems like those 2 sets of tires are always on sale online somewhere for a great price. This is a good thread; it will be interesting to see what options/suggestions other people chime in with...Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I probably will actually stick to WTB because I have had positive expierences in the past with WTB. I might try out a mountain fizik saddle because on my road bike I have had a fizik that I have enjoyed. As far as tires I plan on running a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 in the front, and as far as the back probably an Advantage 2.1. I am in east tennessee, BTW. I have thought about a real fast tire for the back as well. Keep the thread alive! Anymore ideas on the cranks?

#5 ·
My singlé-speed was the cheapest bike i ever put together, and fairly durable so far (ridden it for only 6 months though). Since I work at a shop, I had the privelage of rummaging through recycling.

Frame: Scott Unitrack circa 1994
Fork: Tange 80mm corrected rigid
Brakes: Avid Single Digit SL
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Handlebar: Generic Brand
Stem: Easton EA30
Crankset: FSA V-Drive, i only use the 32t ring, 44t ring is the bash guard (Junk)
Front Wheel: 16yr old Mavic Rim w/ Syncros Hub (broken axle, but works with quick release on tight)
Rear Wheel: Syncros rim w/ Surly OLD hub (Junk)
Cog: Dicta 16t
Pedals: Shimano M540
Headset: AHeadSet
Seatpost: Generic
Grips: Ergon GX-1
Chain: Junk 8-speed
Chain Tenisoner: 1980's Shimano Deore Road derailleur
Saddle: WTB Pure V

GRAND TOTAL: $186.83

Agreed with the others, the WTB saddle is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden to date. In my opinion, if you're going to try a fiziik saddle, try out the Gobi, that's one that i've test ridden and that's come pretty dang close to the WTB.

#6 ·
Look at Performance.....they have Deore cranks on sale for $70!

I run the Dart/Smoke Panaracer tires....excellent performance in the NC clay dirt...I used the original Alivio rear derailuer as a chain tensioner, and a buddy gave/loaned me some rear cogs from a Performance SS conversion kit. I replaced the shifter.brake lever assy with Forte moutian levers...$15...and they look just like the Avid levers at $60.

#7 ·
Sounds like you've got it going on but I'll add my .02 and the reasoning:
Try the Cane Creek s-3 headset (I think)....pvd on the frame builders forum says it's as high end as you need to go......a search will tell you the HS he was talking about (I trust his opinion)....around $30? so you'll have some $$$ for other stuff.
WTB saddle - I swear by my speed v....I just can't ride anything else.
I think the wheelset you listed was more or less what I had initially - good except for in the g-outs we have around here and then they flexed alot but it wasn't THAT big of a deal.
Stem and seatpost - they are constantly blown out online and on ebay......I like to match them. Personally, I think Thomson is the most sensible despite the relatively hi $$$$ - they look great, the quality is awesome and they'll last forever and always look great.
XT cranks for me - best weight:stiff:$$$....though alot of folks have great results w/ LX or Race Face....I just like XTs b/c they'll go on a blinged out ride and a sensible ride and they're really stiff.
Surly cog/chainring - heard they're bulletproof so have that setup for a few 100 miles and their going strong. Great prices too......
You're smart to spend $$$ on your fork.
I'd take the $$$ you'll save on the HS and spend it on the Avid Ultimate/Black Ops levers......I'm riding those and Speed Dial 7s on diff bikes and while the SD7s (and the Tektros since their practically identical) are really good, there is absolutely no comparing them to the Ultis....if I had the $$$ i'd get another set - they're expensive but they're that good.
I don't skimp on tires either.....to me, they are absolutely THE most important part on a mtb (as long as we're not talking about the safety/integrety of a part)....like saddles, tires are personal....I'm running Maxxis Ignitors on all 3 bikes. I've pitched these HARD into many-a turn that they should not have stuck in and it's always like I'm on rails.
BB7s all the way!

#8 ·
Looks like a solid build you've got going there.
I usually use Cane Creek S3's, and they have always been trouble free.
Salsa chainrings rate high on the strong / light / cheap matrix.
As far as cranks, I'm not a fan of external BB's. The bearings don't seem to hold up to wet New England weather for me. I usually will find something older on ebay, or in the parts pin that use a square taper, Octolink, or isis BB.

#10 ·
This was the Holy Grail thrown in the scrap metal pile at the dump. I was dumbfounded when I found it.
It's an old Hard Rock with semihorizontal dropouts, Reynolds 853 tubing, and a 1 1/8th headset. Had all the parts in the 'parts bin' when I built it up, many parts have changed as it has grown into my favorite bike.
Sorry about the crappy pic of this one, it's all I got.
Note: that's Mt. Washington in the clouds under and to the right of my saddle, view from a pull out on a closed road (in winter) on a warm, sunny, winter day.

Attachments

#16 ·
My first SS build was all from parts I had laying around the garage. I think the total cost was < $75 with the tensioner kit, 8-speed chain and a handlebar.

Then I found out I liked it.

Code:
<html>
<table width="600" border="1">
  <tr>
    <td> </td>
    <td>Build1</td>
    <td>Build2</td>
    <td>Cost</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><p>Frame</p>    </td>
    <td>Interloc HT</td>
    <td>Interloc HT</td>
    <td> </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Fork</td>
    <td>Skareb</td>
    <td>Fox F100</td>
    <td>350</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Wheels</td>
    <td>Sram 9.0Sl / DS1-XC</td>
    <td>WI / 717</td>
    <td>500</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Brakes</td>
    <td>Avid Juicy 3</td>
    <td>Shimano LX</td>
    <td>100</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Crank</td>
    <td>LX w/ middle ring</td>
    <td>LX w/ Surly ring</td>
    <td>40</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Stem</td>
    <td>Old yeti stem</td>
    <td>Thomson</td>
    <td>35</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Seatpost</td>
    <td>X-Wing</td>
    <td>Thomson</td>
    <td>35</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Handlebar</td>
    <td>Easton EA50</td>
    <td>Easton EA50</td>
    <td>5</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Tensioner</td>
    <td>Forte -> STS w/ bmx cogs</td>
    <td>Shimano MX</td>
    <td>65</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Bottle Cages</td>
    <td>Aluminum</td>
    <td>King Cages</td>
    <td>22</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Headset</td>
    <td>Chris King</td>
    <td>Chris King</td>
    <td>0</td>
  </tr>
 </table></html>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.