Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    one chain loop

Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!

I know what you ride so how about show what your kid ride?

I picked this bike used for my boy now that he is too big for his 16" big box bike. I spend so much on my bike so its about time not to cheap out on his.

Well, still a used bike and old parts bin build..

Before:

Now:

It is a surprise for him so I hope he likes it.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Fish, that is cool and I'm sure he will be tickled sh*tless like every other kid his age would be because now he's "big" and he can "be like dad"

Cool;-)
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Here are my kids, both on Specialized, just like Daddy. My boy (age 5) is on a 20", and my girl (age 8) is on a XS 26" (sorry not a SS, but shifting hasn't clicked for her yet, so she rides it SS). And now that they both are comfortable on them it's time to raise their seats a bit...

Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When my eldest was a few months old, I got hold of an old Mongoose Menace Mini BMX. I collected parts for it here and there and finally had enough to make it into a bike. The idea was that when he was old enough, we'd build it together.

Well, he's 6 and a half now and just about the right size for it. He has a 16" GT that he is pretty confident on so I thought we'd try the 'goose.

I got him into the principles of lubrication, and of course he loved slathering grease on everything. Got him into the concept of right tool for each job and how to use certain tools. Also got him understanding bearing preload, at least he nodded when I explained it. The wheels were on a 20" of mine that cracked and got hung up - Arayas on DX cassette hubs. Old school Tioga Beartrap headset, Snafu sprocket, LX v'brakes*, Maxxis treads. Damn kid doesn't know how good he got it.

So here it is.

Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-27032013010.jpg

Like I said, he is slightly better suited to a 16" and this is a 20" mini. The bigger wheels are for him like a 29er is for us grown ups.

I'm into old school BMX as well so the chrome and checks are right up my alley.

Grumps

* Dang it, Fishcreek, you had to up the ante with the XTR caliper! Sweet!

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Favorite Bike View Post
    Fish, that is cool and I'm sure he will be tickled sh*tless like every other kid his age would be because now he's "big" and he can "be like dad"

Cool;-)
    thanks!

i just built him a banana bike last month but he cant adjust to a different riding position with the ape hangers. he got so used with his 16", im pretty sure he is ready for a 24" but drastic changes is not going to cut it for him.

one chain loop
    fishrising, that is a cool picture. glad to see kids still having fun riding their bikes than playing on their tablets.

Grumps, sweet build! way to start them young with the moto style brakes as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    glad to see kids still having fun riding their bikes than playing on their tablets.
    Don't worry, they were unfortunately on their tablets before and after I am sure...
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    fishrising, that is a cool picture. glad to see kids still having fun riding their bikes than playing on their tablets.
    Ha! The other day my 6 year old asked if I wanted to play soccer. I said "yeah, good idea, and went outside to get the little goal net out of the garage and the ball. After a few minutes waiting for him, he storms out of the house yelling that the soccer game on the Wii is ready to go. I shoulda known...

Grumps, sweet build! way to start them young with the moto style brakes as well!
    Thanks! The joy was building it with him. The moto braking is partly necessity because I only had a left lever and party because I come from a land down under, where the norm is right-front braking. Funnily enough on my BMXs that have a rear brake only, I run the single lever on the right.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Gotta pay to play
    This is my girl's trike. We got it when she was a year old (she is 19 months now).

She loves it. When ever she walks into the garage she screams "Bike bike bike!" and runs over to it. I have to keep her from trying to climb in.

It has a clutch mechanism to let the front wheel spin freely and a detachable handle on the back so my wife and I can push her. She can almost reach the pedals but it will probably be another 6-9 months before she gets it.

She gets about 2-3 miles of "riding" every day with either myPost Your Kid's Singlespeed!-winters-bike.jpg wife or I pushing her to the store or local park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Spot and Strider.... Great matchup!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-20130309_095059.jpg  

Spot SS
    Niner Jet9
    Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bought a cheapo 24" MTB for my 11 year old daughter last year and it lasted 4-5 months. I had been itching for a new project and decided I would build one for her. I had a horrid time trying to find available components to build a SS 24" without having to order custom wheels. After some solid research time, I decided to build a 26" SS DJ/Urban. Geometry seemed fitting on paper (she's 5' tall), so I began the build. It turned out to be a perfect fit for her and she loves riding it. Had some decent parts in the garage that I was able to use, too, and save some $$$.
    Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-zirc3.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Rocking the NilSpeed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-image.jpg
    My 10year old kid hanging around with his
    UMF hardy steeler 24"

ITL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    Rocking the NilSpeed!
    And suspension!

one chain loop
    cool 24" jumpers. i need to get one for him otherwise he will claim my 24" BMX.

went for a ride today just to assess the flood destruction..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Right on!!

I just picked up a used girls 20" electra this weekend. I striped down to frame rebuilt hubs, BB, HS, etc. Such crap bearing races on these bikes.... makes it hard to run smooth, and they are so overtightened from the factory I am surprised they even roll. Rebuilt the rear coaster brake hub.... that was actually both easy and made it SMOOTH.

Once it was all torn down, I hit the whole frame with a polishing compound to even out the finish. Then I had my daughter come out and "polish" her new bike. Had her glove up and put on some nice 3M paste wax all over the bike. Then made her polish it off. Smooth as a baby's butt.

Rebuilt the bike after the kids went to sleep last night. Full bike overhaul and adjust.

Dumped the steel cruiser bars for some AL trekking bars, nicer lighter AL stem, AL post in place of the boat anchor steel post. New grips, bell, basket, handlebar streamers, chain... and some hyper reflective 3M tape on the back and sides in case we get caught out at dusk.

Apart from a few scratches on the rear fender, the thing looks brand new.

I also have her next bike (a Trek MT220 with 24" wheels) starting up for down the road. Avid Single Digit V-brakes with Eagle Stop Pads, LX brake levers, same deal of replacing heavy steel bits with alloy.....

I think I was more excited about her ride then she was

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sologear View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	806159
    My 10year old kid hanging around with his
    UMF hardy steeler 24"
    Awesome picture.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-free-agent-devil-24.jpg

Free Agent Devil 24. Bought at Play it Again sports for $49. The bike was buried under a pile of stuff and it caught my eye. The bike was hardly used at all.

My boy is so stoked (I am too).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My kid's 2nd singlespeed

16", Aluminium frame, coaster brake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-wp_000682-1.jpg  

WNC Native

My Girls

Here's my oldest doing her first team endurance race at 13 on her SS. She's 15 now and member of a high school mtb club. She is working a summer job to build a geared bike as a second bike, because she does NOT want to gear the pictured bike.

Here's my youngest at age 5 on a pump track with her SS.

She's now about to be 8 and on a 1x7. I'll try to sway her back in a few years, but she's getting in more trails than ever with the gears.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Stokeless Asshat
    My daughters old townie. Long gone now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-alan-ss.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    last years bike:

Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-img_0780.jpg

little sister gets her first one this year:

Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-ella-2.jpg

Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!-ella-1.jpg

gonna end up with pink spawn savage to replace the Spesh.

not sure if i will SS the savage. mommy uses gears (eeeeewwwwwww). shes getting old enough, i might let her choose.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

one chain loop
    i forgot all about this thread. good timing on revival too. currently working on my kid's bike, he grown so tall now that he fits on this 26" frame.

nevermind the cassette, it will be SS for sure with tensioner. just slowly putting it up together before spring. still looking for the right stem, bars and short cranks.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Nice!

I'm actually a lil jelly u got such a dope ride for your kid!
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast