Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Post your "Budget" SS

Looking for around 250USD max spent on your SS conversion or purchase.

I'm buying an old Lotus 4000m later that is going to be converted. Looking to keep it all under 200$

surly inbred
    I stopped shifting for a while. That was pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It should only cost as much as the singlespeed conversion kit. ($30+tax at performance) That will leave you with about $160 left over. You can use the remaining money for: a better wheelset or cranks (depending how much you want to lighten the bike).

beware the grammar police

owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips
    It should only cost as much as the singlespeed conversion kit. ($30+tax at performance) That will leave you with about $160 left over. You can use the remaining money for: a better wheelset or cranks (depending how much you want to lighten the bike).
    I think he means $250 total, including bike.

I think mine is a bit over, but I could have paid less if I hadn't gotten into a bidding war over the frame with my uncle, who was trying to buy the frame for me as a surprise >_<

Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    I stopped shifting for a while. That was pretty cheap.
    Get out of the SS forum

mtbr member

Old frame of my dad's that I converted for my brother. It has since been taken back apart but it was fun while it lasted. New fork, crankset, wheels, headset, bars/stem, saddle all for around $100 spent after diggin through the parts bin.

mtbr member
    Hows this for budget build.

From this:

To this:

Yes, there are gears on it currently for winter (1x7), but it will return to being a single speed once the snow stays cleared. It is too much to try and go from cutting through 2,3,4+ inches of snow one minute to riding on ice the next and back again w/o cursing constantly if I was SS-ing it. I'm not some kinda complete SS masochist.

Anyway, about the bike. I found this wreck at the bottom of a small canyon near where we live while on a hike with our girls a while ago. The next day we came back, walked up the creek and I backpacked the bike out. The bike has apparently been down there awhile. I originally had thoughts of either rebuilding it for one of the girls or salvaging what parts were still working for the kids bikes, but after I had some bad problems with my other bike (ie a catastrophic crash) I decided to give this bike a new life. One side of the rear triangle was tweaked kinda hard, so I had to use a long rod levered against the seat tube to straighten it. For the most part most of the pieces came off my other bike that I retired and from my spare parts bin. The studded tires and cables are new though and I had to have the steer tube extended 2" otherwise a minimum investment for a not to shabby a beater. The bike is a GF Mako most likely a very late nineties/ early 2k model since it had no mounts whatsoever for discs.

FYI for any of you hawkeyes that can see the chain length is pretty darn short in the pic. For lack of a chain guide to keep the chain from popping off while in the lower gears I had it shortened.

beware the grammar police
    awesome!!
    owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

mtbr member
    Bought the frame and fork and seatpost collar for $100 and a 12 pack of beer and I had the rest in my parts bin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here's mine with a slight thread derail (I posted this question in another forum but got no reply)

I installed a 1/8" single speed chain and the extra thickness is making it rub against the bashgaurd and make some noise. Is there a way to prevent this or is this just normal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    I think he means $250 total, including bike.

I think mine is a bit over, but I could have paid less if I hadn't gotten into a bidding war over the frame with my uncle, who was trying to buy the frame for me as a surprise >_<

How do you like those Panaracers? I had the XC 26ers on my EX9 I loved them. Light and grippy. I really like to dig into turns and feel most tires don't allow me to do that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I was looking for SS bikes that people put together for really cheap. There are so many threads with everyone's boutique 2k plus bike that I thought this would be a nice change. It's also my current project

Kicker of Elves

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate
    Hows this for budget build.

From this:

To this:

Yes, there are gears on it currently for winter (1x7), but it will return to being a single speed once the snow stays cleared. It is too much to try and go from cutting through 2,3,4+ inches of snow one minute to riding on ice the next and back again w/o cursing constantly if I was SS-ing it. I'm not some kinda complete SS masochist.

Anyway, about the bike. I found this wreck at the bottom of a small canyon near where we live while on a hike with our girls a while ago. The next day we came back, walked up the creek and I backpacked the bike out. The bike has apparently been down there awhile. I originally had thoughts of either rebuilding it for one of the girls or salvaging what parts were still working for the kids bikes, but after I had some bad problems with my other bike (ie a catastrophic crash) I decided to give this bike a new life. One side of the rear triangle was tweaked kinda hard, so I had to use a long rod levered against the seat tube to straighten it. For the most part most of the pieces came off my other bike that I retired and from my spare parts bin. The studded tires and cables are new though and I had to have the steer tube extended 2" otherwise a minimum investment for a not to shabby a beater. The bike is a GF Mako most likely a very late nineties/ early 2k model since it had no mounts whatsoever for discs.

FYI for any of you hawkeyes that can see the chain length is pretty darn short in the pic. For lack of a chain guide to keep the chain from popping off while in the lower gears I had it shortened.
    Ummm... That bike has the paint scheme from '09 to present. It's from the "Classic Hartails" section. I think you made out better than you think. They are low end of the spectrum, but the frame and geometry is pretty much the same on all of their hardtail frames.

Nice haul!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

RQ1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I might have overachieved on the sub $250 criteria. I probably have $50 wrapped up in this little deathtrap.

A $20 adapter to get rid of the original one piece crank:

A $20 Raleigh provided the new crank, bottom bracket, Araya wheels and sweet Biopace chainring:

And there you go, one fully functional Huffy Single Speed:

It needed a little old skool hotrod pinstriping:

I don't ride it much these days since I've invested in a slightly better SS (Deadeye). But it lasted a whole season of Michigan singletrack with no failures. I still take it out once in a while to remind myself how terrible the brakes are.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by can'tputt
    Here's mine with a slight thread derail (I posted this question in another forum but got no reply)

I installed a 1/8" single speed chain and the extra thickness is making it rub against the bashgaurd and make some noise. Is there a way to prevent this or is this just normal?
    I would guess your get up is designed around a 3/32 or whatever chain, so the 1/8 eats up too much space and rubs. Since I gather the rubbing is light, maybe a trip to a hardware store for some washers would space things out enough that you won't have problems.

Dive Bomber
    Under $150.

Actually the fullbike version which is 18 speed is only $75.

mtbr member
    Conversion kit: $19.89
    New grips: $ 4.00

That's all I spent. Didn't cost anything to take stuff off.

Bikes dirty in the photo, as I took them minutes after my first ss ride a few years back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Airskank
    How do you like those Panaracers? I had the XC 26ers on my EX9 I loved them. Light and grippy. I really like to dig into turns and feel most tires don't allow me to do that.
    They're definitely one of the lighter 29er tires out there. I'm not a very good rider so I can't give a well-educated performance review on them, but they've certainly been reliable. I'm running them tubeless right now and mostly ride on pavement (campus bike) but in all my bashing around (I can't bunnyhop to save my life so I just sorta smash into curbs) I haven't had any burps and only one puncture that sealed itself up right quick (Stans is amazing).
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by RQ1

i think that raleigh is a better frameset than the huffy, it can be upgraded with v-brakes too. your biopace chainring reminded me of my unfinished Fisher, i better finish it and post it here too.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

ss cannondale

Here is my budget ss conversion. Started with 95 f1000 cannondale then removed everything not needed. Added specialized cranks and a ss conversion kit. I noticed there are not many cannondale ss. Headshock is a nice addition to take out the harshness of the front end while still being stiff and light weight. Weighs about 20 lbs or so. Very light. Also a 20t in rear. Absolute blast to ride. Also added 27 in bars which are a added welcome over the 24 in. Well here it is. Hope to pimp it out with some future lighter parts and a little gold here and there. I've got $80 in the conversion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    I think mine is a bit over, but I could have paid less if I hadn't gotten into a bidding war over the frame with my uncle, who was trying to buy the frame for me as a surprise
    That's some funny sh*t right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera
    Ummm... That bike has the paint scheme from '09 to present. It's from the "Classic Hartails" section. I think you made out better than you think. They are low end of the spectrum, but the frame and geometry is pretty much the same on all of their hardtail frames.

Nice haul!
    Cool, thanks for the tip. I did google GF bikes when I first got it home with it, but didnt really turn up a year of production for it just a few images with the name, along with some sorta MTBR reviews that didnt quite match. Then I just sorta took a guess at the age.

mtbr member

My Rockhopper Comp I purchased new in 6/90. I spent less than $250 to make it an SS if that counts. Put on a used Fleabay SS wheelset with Spot bolt on hub and Avid 7's. Has a Rock Shox Judy XC I added in 95 with Englund Air Cartridges. Ground down the dropouts a bit and the magic 34/20 gear fits just fine with no tensioner. Crank and Stem are the only original parts remaining.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast