mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New question here. Is it possible to use FD on a single speed with tensioner?

I have a giant xtc that I am interested in converting to a single speed. I got to wondering if it is possible to set the rear up as a single speed with a tensioner but still use a 3 speed crankset in order to have some adjustment if need be. I love hills but on a single speed I may find some of the hills I have been riding would need smaller gear ratio than what I would like on the flatter parts of the same trails. Has anyone had any success with this or does that screw up the drivetrain too much with that much adjustment to the front available. Just wondering I'm a newb in the singlespeed world. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Axles of Evil

yes and no

You will have to use a tensioner like a Paul Components Melvin,
    http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html. You will need something to take up the extra slack of the chain when dropping into the granny ring. A run of the mill tensioner only pushes up or down on the chain. Not giving enough tension to allow for gear changes. An old rear derailleur will do the trick too. Though not as clean looking setup. I used a two ring front with a single rear cog and a Melvin for years. Great setup, kind of like a rudimentary Hammerschmitt.

Do a little searching on this site, in this forum and the drivetrain section. There is a wealth of info here. Good luck and welcome to the Darkside...

Quote Originally Posted by alobbesta
    If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
    get a 1x9 drivetrain.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    get a 1x9 drivetrain.
    +1

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Using a melvin can you shift gears on the go with your FD or do you have to change gears by hand?

Using a melvin can you shift gears on the go with your FD or do you have to change gears by hand?
    cmon.

word for word from the link...

One of the coolest things about the Melvin is that it allows two front chain rings to be used (of course this is no longer a single speed, but can be very handy for loaded commuting). Because we use two pulleys, two chain rings with a maximum difference of twenty teeth can be used up front. With a little practice, a deft finger and a delicate heel make a fine front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    32/12-34xt(for now),1x9 with a saint shortcage rd,low profile, sturdy...

Axles of Evil

No

You can use your FD like normal.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Dad
    Melvin
    $70!?!
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ebay!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    cmon.

word for word from the link...

One of the coolest things about the Melvin is that it allows two front chain rings to be used (of course this is no longer a single speed, but can be very handy for loaded commuting). Because we use two pulleys, two chain rings with a maximum difference of twenty teeth can be used up front. With a little practice, a deft finger and a delicate heel make a fine front derailleur.
    The Paul guys practice what they preach. A few weeks ago at a local cyclocross race the Paul team was there and one of the guys was riding a nice vintage bike with a Melvin and FD. It was a sweet setup. That is definitely what I am going to do to my SS commuter. The vertical dropouts have given me a poor magic gear so if I have to run a tensioner, I might as well as make it a dinglespeed. Apologies in advance to SS purists.