try driving your car less

Portland, Oregon?

Hi SSers. I believe that some of you are in Portland. And there is some riding right in town? I will be there next week for a meeting. I will not bring my bike, though (ski stuff instead). But if someone has some info on how I could just rent a bike and sample some dirt from downtown without a car or major hassle, that would be nice. Cutting an afternoon of meetings has been known to happen. I want to know if I should pack my helmet or not. I checked the weather, and it looks very very wet. But one of the finer things in life is getting very muddy and going straight into the hotel hottub.
    I cannot really commit to a time and place to ride, since the work really comes first.
    Thanks
    JH
    Only boring people get bored.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    WARNING! Don't let him borrow any shorts! He'll sniff 'em then skid 'em and return 'em to you right before high-tailing it out of your house. A few days later, he'll brag all over the internet how his berries are bigger than your berries because they couldn't "breathe" in your size XS shorts.

Just ask riderx (the rider formerly known as SSO). He's still recuperating.

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...71b.5@.ef85b6f

ps - After you see the gnaw marks he'll leave, you'll realize the shorts are a total loss.
    Last edited by Drevil; 01-23-2004 at 08:14 AM.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Hi SSers. I believe that some of you are in Portland. And there is some riding right in town? I will be there next week for a meeting. I will not bring my bike, though (ski stuff instead). But if someone has some info on how I could just rent a bike and sample some dirt from downtown without a car or major hassle, that would be nice. Cutting an afternoon of meetings has been known to happen. I want to know if I should pack my helmet or not. I checked the weather, and it looks very very wet. But one of the finer things in life is getting very muddy and going straight into the hotel hottub.
    I cannot really commit to a time and place to ride, since the work really comes first.
    Thanks
    JH
    Make sure you pack a pair of cycling shorts in your carry-on crusty butt!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check out Fat Tire Farm

check out Fat tire farm (http://www.fattirefarm.com/). I don't think they rent SSs but they do have some nice bikes. The shop is just outside of downtown (address on website) and they are about a mile from the entrance to Forest Park. They can also hook you up with a map, etc.

Forest Park is nice because it is close to downtown and gets you on the dirt & in the trees. Unfortunately, all of the legal riding is fireroads, so don't get your hopes up for single track.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    WARNING! Don't let him borrow any shorts! He'll sniff 'em then skid 'em and return 'em to you right before high-tailing it out of your house. A few days later, he'll brag all over the internet how his berries are bigger than your berries because they couldn't "breathe" in your size XS shorts.

Just ask riderx (the rider formerly known as SSO). He's still recuperating.

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...71b.5@.ef85b6f

ps - After you see the gnaw marks he'll leave, you'll realize the shorts are a total loss.
    yeah, whatever. That was over a year ago! Thanks again for the ride. It was a bummer I couldn't get your teef away from my a$$ in time to prevent the gnaw marks. ha! hA!
    Pretty soon I want to commit to a long race (12-24 hour or 50+ miler) a long drive south of here for early spring. NC or something. any ideas? something in april.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket331
    check out Fat tire farm (http://www.fattirefarm.com/). I don't think they rent SSs but they do have some nice bikes. The shop is just outside of downtown (address on website) and they are about a mile from the entrance to Forest Park. They can also hook you up with a map, etc.

Forest Park is nice because it is close to downtown and gets you on the dirt & in the trees. Unfortunately, all of the legal riding is fireroads, so don't get your hopes up for single track.
    perfect. just the info i was looking for. according to mapquest it's 2.4 miles from the hotel. hopefully there will be a lull at some point and i can sample the dirty goods.

ali'i hua
    isnt forrest park fairly close to the PDX area? I know it was a fairly short drive from Universal Cycles.

I rode up there when Meatfoot (mike) had his Dean out on its first ride.

Edit: note to self: read other posts before posting.

Vegan Athlete
    If you have time I would reccommend making it out to Powell Butte. 162nd and Powell SE, I think, or close to that. More fun than Forest Park. Actual single track.
    I second going to FTF. Good, no, great guys. Butch and Park were always good to me when I lived there.
    You must love the rain. Do not be afraid of the mud, it is your friend.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    If you have time I would reccommend making it out to Powell Butte. 162nd and Powell SE, I think, or close to that. More fun than Forest Park. Actual single track.
    I second going to FTF. Good, no, great guys. Butch and Park were always good to me when I lived there.
    You must love the rain. Do not be afraid of the mud, it is your friend.
    Unfortunately Powell Butte is closed to bikes from Dec - March (The parks department started doing this last year) to minimize trail damage. Unfortunately, there is no such ban on the equestrians - who in my opinion, do alot more damage.
    I'm with stupid

I don't mean to rain on your parade (pun intended) -- Forest Park is great for what it is, but please do not get your hopes up for riding some "good oregon dirt" if you are headed there. Don't get me wrong: if you have the time to do it, by all means I do recommend that you make an effort to get out and get muddy. It is a great place to ride and train, there are hills which can give you some hurt if you want them to, or you can just go for a mellow ride too. It really is a beautiful, quiet place to spend some time so close to the city and I am not bashing FP at all. Cruising fireroads through the big trees and big ferns will put a smile on any reasonable person's face. I'd just hate to see you come out here and be disappointed because you were on fireroads all afternoon and leave thinking that our trails suck. FP is a great place, but it is not at all representative of mountain biking in the northwest...

Vegan Athlete
    We used to ride Fireroad #2, that was almost singletrack as I recall. I remember PUMP finishing up FR#5 and alot of that was singletrack. Did #5 ever get opened up to bikes?
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

highly visible
    Hey JH, I'm in Portland. I can't get away during the day but I will be riding (Uvexes and all) one night next week, probably Wednesday. I could join you if you're interested in some night riding (which is when Forest Park is best anyway). I can also loan you my wife's NiteRider TrailRat (10W) if you need to borrow a light.

Everyone else is right, most of the legal riding (27 miles officially) in Forest Park is fire roads, but the good news is that it is VERY muddy right now. Also, nighttime makes it at least a little challenging - especially the descents down the firelanes. What Forest Park lacks in technical challenge it can make up in aerobic challenge: the park is long (8-10 mi) and narrow (about 2 mi), and one side is the top of a ridge that averages about 1000 feet higher than the other side. The short firelanes that go bottom to top can be pretty steep, and in a few cases brutal.

I just rode the park on Wednesday ... riding conditions are even sloppier than usual, with the ground REALLY saturated after melting out the 7-12 inches of snow we got 2 weeks ago . There's still some snow left, but almost all of it should be gone by next week. Unless we get more over the weekend, which IS a possibility. Stay tuned.

(BTW, firelane 2 is officially closed to bikes, although I rode it once a few years ago not knowing that. Also on firelane 5, maps and signs give conflicting information on its legality. it dead-ends into the Wildwood Trail, which is absolutely verboten. You can continue straight on some nice singletrack without turning onto Wildwood, but I suspect FL5 has been closed because of that temptation.)

As mentioned, Fat Tire Farm rents out bikes, though sadly no singlespeeds. They can be reached by the #15 and #17 buses (see http://www.trimet.org/) and it's a pretty short ride up Thurman Street from there to the main park entrance. Couldn't be easier.

As for other riding in town, Powell Butte is indeed closed to bikes this time of year. There are also about 5 miles of trails, mostly singletrack, at Mount Tabor park in Southeast Portland. Once you get to the park the trails are pretty obvious (at least in daylight). Don't miss the basketball court (N side of the park) located inside the old crater of the only extinct volcano within the limits of a N. American city. Tabor is about a 5 mile ride from downtown, although if we're riding the same night I could give you a ride there. There's also 2-3 miles of trails at Oaks Bottom, much of which is lovely singletrack, but not worth the trip unless you live nearby as I do. In that area there are also about 2 miles of actual, rideable sandy beach along the riverfront.

- Dan

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Hey JH, I'm in Portland. I can't get away during the day but I will be riding (Uvexes and all) one night next week, probably Wednesday. I could join you if you're interested in some night riding (which is when Forest Park is best anyway). I can also loan you my wife's NiteRider TrailRat (10W) if you need to borrow a light.

Everyone else is right, most of the legal riding (27 miles officially) in Forest Park is fire roads, but the good news is that it is VERY muddy right now. Also, nighttime makes it at least a little challenging - especially the descents down the firelanes. What Forest Park lacks in technical challenge it can make up in aerobic challenge: the park is long (8-10 mi) and narrow (about 2 mi), and one side is the top of a ridge that averages about 1000 feet higher than the other side. The short firelanes that go bottom to top can be pretty steep, and in a few cases brutal.

I just rode the park on Wednesday ... riding conditions are even sloppier than usual, with the ground REALLY saturated after melting out the 7-12 inches of snow we got 2 weeks ago . There's still some snow left, but almost all of it should be gone by next week. Unless we get more over the weekend, which IS a possibility. Stay tuned.

(BTW, firelane 2 is officially closed to bikes, although I rode it once a few years ago not knowing that. Also on firelane 5, maps and signs give conflicting information on its legality. it dead-ends into the Wildwood Trail, which is absolutely verboten. You can continue straight on some nice singletrack without turning onto Wildwood, but I suspect FL5 has been closed because of that temptation.)

As mentioned, Fat Tire Farm rents out bikes, though sadly no singlespeeds. They can be reached by the #15 and #17 buses (see http://www.trimet.org/) and it's a pretty short ride up Thurman Street from there to the main park entrance. Couldn't be easier.

As for other riding in town, Powell Butte is indeed closed to bikes this time of year. There are also about 5 miles of trails, mostly singletrack, at Mount Tabor park in Southeast Portland. Once you get to the park the trails are pretty obvious (at least in daylight). Don't miss the basketball court (N side of the park) located inside the old crater of the only extinct volcano within the limits of a N. American city. Tabor is about a 5 mile ride from downtown, although if we're riding the same night I could give you a ride there. There's also 2-3 miles of trails at Oaks Bottom, much of which is lovely singletrack, but not worth the trip unless you live nearby as I do. In that area there are also about 2 miles of actual, rideable sandy beach along the riverfront.

- Dan
    Dan
    Thanks for the offer and detailed info. Particularly the bus # to get to fat tire farm. I cannot commit to a ride, but will post something if I know I can go at a certain time, like weds night.
    -jh