VENI VEDI BIKI

Pompino or Nature Boy

Looking to build up a ss cx/gravel grinder/ commuter. I kind of have it down to the All-City Nature Boy and On-One Pompino. Looking for reviews, suggestions from anyone that has owned either.

Thanks.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Have you checked out the geometries? The pompino has some weird geometry IMO and that scared me away from it.

But the price is right for sure.

If price wasnt in issue, I would get the Nature Boy
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Ovaries on the Outside
    What is weird about the Pompino geo? From what I see, the Pompino has a steeper HA. The handling will be sharper, which is going to awkward if you are carrying a load up front or if you are doing anything particularly technical offroad. At least that is my guess- I can only be general because I don't know geometry like a designer...

Anyway, I know a couple with Pompinos and they like the bikes well, and it would be high on my replacement list if I needed a new commuter.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    What is weird about the Pompino geo? From what I see, the Pompino has a steeper HA. The handling will be sharper, which is going to awkward if you are carrying a load up front or if you are doing anything particularly technical offroad. At least that is my guess- I can only be general because I don't know geometry like a designer...

Anyway, I know a couple with Pompinos and they like the bikes well, and it would be high on my replacement list if I needed a new commuter.
    I should have been more specific. 2 issues. 1 of which may be a moot point.

1- limited sizes. Im 6 feet and would be right in between 2 sizes.
    2- Compact geometry- It has an abnormally short seat tube for its top tube length. It may affect carrying the bicycle in CX scenarios but it also might not. Retro grouches may not like that its top tube slopes. Again, # 2 is probably a moot point.

Bro Mountainbiker
    And it only fits 32s-35s. Some gravel chunk is best ridden with higher volume tires.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    And it only fits 32s-35s. Some gravel chunk is best ridden with higher volume tires.
    I don't view that as a drawback. There are few cross frames that offer enough clearance for 45mm tires. That is what the 29er is for.

As far at the tt- I kinda think that a stem does a lot for fit. I'm the same size of you and I'm used to a 59cm tt/st for road biking. The Pompatine is a lot shorter for what I fit, but it would give me the chance to build a more off road cross bike.

I don't really disagree with what makes you butthurt. Still want a disc Pompatine with a 26" disc fork, so I can get a fat ass tire in the front.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I am leaning towards the Nature Boy at this point, although I am trying to convince myself to get the Pompino due to the price differential. The tire clearance thing is an issue for me, as I want to run fenders and want to run at least up to a 38 for some stuff. The bike will mostly be used as a commuter workhorse and gravel grinder. I want the possibility to do cx, but don't want to run afoul of the 80/20 rule.

Any other frames I should consider?
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    The SS Cross Check option or even the Steam Roller. may do what you want. I have a fixed Cross Check that I love and I also want a Pompino for some variety.

mtbr member
    Hey Skank,

Do you have a wheelset you're intending to use? I believe the rear spacing is different between these frames...

Pomp is 120mm
    Nature Boy is 130mm

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I was intended to use a set of velocity fusions with flip/flop track hubs. I noticed the spacing on the Nature Boy as well and my ideas was to either have a shop re-set the frame or get a wider axle and some more spacers. I don't think the Pomp can handle B.A.L.L.S.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat recently and just ordered a Pompino. even though I work at a bike shop, the price of the On-One frame was a lot cheaper than anything else I could have gotten direct from a manufacturer.

check this out- huge thread about Pompino builds On One Pompino owners... - London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rode a Nature Boy recently and loved it. I'm actually in the market for a geared commuter/endurance road bike but came very close to buying the All City. If the shop had the Macho Man I would have settled for the 1x9.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by JoLlama View Post
    Rode a Nature Boy recently and loved it. I'm actually in the market for a geared commuter/endurance road bike but came very close to buying the All City. If the shop had the Macho Man I would have settled for the 1x9.
    You can convert most bike with hos to 1x?. But some Santa Cruz Chameleon dropouts, run continuous housing to the r. derailer and you are off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I don't think the Pomp can handle B.A.L.L.S.
    I'm sure the Pompino can handle the BALLS ride...the question is can you handle it on the tires/fender combo that it'll take?

Looks like you might be limited to 32mm tires on that frame.

Though I'm not sure you can get much more rubber in the Nature Boy either.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    I'm sure the Pompino can handle the BALLS ride...the question is can you handle it on the tires/fender combo that it'll take?

Looks like you might be limited to 32mm tires on that frame.

Though I'm not sure you can get much more rubber in the Nature Boy either.
    Nature Boy is spec'd for 38 cross tires. Some review say you can fit 40mm semi-slicks.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Nature Boy is spec'd for 38 cross tires. Some review say you can fit 40mm semi-slicks.
    Same with the Pompino.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Same with the Pompino.
    Yeah..looks like this guy squeezed 42s in there

Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I built a OnOne Inbred up like you are intending. I think it's more versatile than a Pompino.
    You could even get the slot dropout with derailleur hanger for maximum versatility.
    I run it with skinny wheels and 700X38 tires for rail trails etc and throw on the wheels from one of my 29ers for fun in the rough stuff. The higher handlebar mount offers more options.

2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross

I'm having a ball with mine. Since the picture was taken, I've upgradedto disk on the front and SLX crank and derailleurs and 9 speed DuraAce shifters.

Another Retro Grouch
    No really opinion except that "Pompino" is Italian for "a little pump" or slang for a BJ. Just so you know....

mtbr member

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    No really opinion except that "Pompino" is Italian for "a little pump" or slang for a BJ. Just so you know....
    And the Nature Boy is named for Ric Flair.
    Advantage is clear...All City!

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Thanks everyone for their opinions/suggestions. I decided I was asking too much from one bike and had conflicting requirements. I decided to get the pomp to use for general commuting, light gravel duties, and winter whipping boy. As much as I love the look and details of the nature boy, the price on the Pompino is just too hard to pass up. Also, I couldn't justify spending near $600 on a beautiful frame that I intended to beat the crap out of. For heavier gravel chunk, I think I am just going to keep riding my reliable jabberwocky with skinny 29er tires, but will lace up a spare wheel to an alfine (That can be my winter project).

Thanks again...I will post pix when I finish my build.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    So? Could care less what name is on a bike.....its a tool, not a fashion accessory.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.