View Poll Results: As a SSer, what's your position on 29ers?

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • WTF is a 29er?

0 0%
  • I'm on one now brotha!!

37 41.57%
  • SSer's don't spend extra money on High-Flalutin' new gizmo's

6 6.74%
  • My next new bike will be a 29er!

30 33.71%
  • I ride both <at the same time if I've had enough to drink>!!

16 17.98%
  • I see no relationship between SS and 29ers...what you smokin'?

7 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    The Duuude, man...

POLL: SSer's view of 29er's?

Was curious how the SS crowd feels about 29ers. I figure going BIG is perfectly logical to any SSer, but I'm naturally biased...
    FS: Everything

I am the owl
    Where's the option for riding a 29er SS?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Where's the option for riding a 29er SS?
    #2 "I'm on one now brotha!!"
    FS: Everything

hispanic mechanic

29" bikes are a fad for kooks...

A fad created by industry fat-cats like Wes Williams, Mark Slate, and Bob Poor in order to take money away from guys like Mike Sinyard and Gary Snook.
    The only thing dumber than a 29" singlespeed would be a 29" fixed gear!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Art is Resistance
    Why do 29'ers seem so concerned about how everyone feels about them?

They're cool, they ahve two wheels and no engine. Stop worrying. If you're on a bike, i would guess most people around here are down with it.

Let me ask my wife
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    A fad created by industry fat-cats like Wes Williams, Mark Slate, and Bob Poor in order to take money away from guys like Mike Sinyard and Gary Snook.
    The only thing dumber than a 29" singlespeed would be a 29" fixed gear!

the los
    You're funny.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I've yet...

to see one that looks good, their ugly looks put me off wanting to ride one....... bit like the fugly ones left at a dance...... then again, maybe they ride well 'cause they're grateful.....hmmm maybe I should go ugly early?

I am the owl

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    #2 "I'm on one now brotha!!"
    Yeah, but that includes the cheater bikes!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    As an SSer, I'm deeply offended by polls in general. I pretty much assume that any attempt to determine what I think is an attempt at limiting my individuality. I don't like that.

Have a nice day.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

JAK
    mtbr member

the same way I feel

about other bikes. If it's a bike it's a frikken bike. If you dig, you dig.There are differences in bikes like there are differences in attitudes, character, athleticism and personal hygene. I had a BLAST on a KarateMonkey. I plan on having a 29er in 1.5 months. A perfect compliment to my 5"SS. I dig a lot of shyte, I'll just never preach it. Kinda like Sir Lord Comic would say....

For your ever desire
    I wanna set your soul on fire!
    Youíd better touch not this musical wire!
    So itís burning hotter, hotter fire
    I love not to brag, I love not to boast, sir!
    Cause grief comes to those that brag the most, sir!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I ride...

what works for me and could careless what others ride. I ride my bike; not yours or anyone elses. I ride the gear ratios that work for me, not what works for others. If 29" works for you, great. If you feel more comfortable on a 26", great.

The reason I SS is I spend less time maintaining and adjusting my bike and more time riding. You'll get that regardless of wheel size.

I suppose if we all rode our own bikes the way we liked them we'd be a pretty quite bunch. Huh?

ride your bike
    bikes is bikes.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Jealousy??

it almost sounds like some of these members are becoming sour pusses because it's not enough to just be a SSer to be different. "now there are guys with bigger wheels who are the minority..."

all kidding and half-jokes aside, i think it is great to have options. my SS 29er is in the queue with Walt right now. i feel that the bigger wheels will enhance what i already love about cycling offroad and especially the SS experience. more traction, momentum and the lower angle of attack over obstacles sure does sound like a SS creed of sorts. plus, i just love bikes. of course, i am selling 2 of mine to get this 29er, but i don't want to have bikes that just hang on hooks anyway.

individuality rocks! but it is really nice to have a place to share it with other individuals... and these boards are a great place! now, who wants to go grab a coffee?
    Spinning and Grinning...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I want to have a 29er's baby.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    to see one that looks good, their ugly looks put me off wanting to ride one....... bit like the fugly ones left at a dance...... then again, maybe they ride well 'cause they're grateful.....hmmm maybe I should go ugly early?
    Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder...but come on man...give it some love!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nope

doesn't it do it for me........but it is a bike so it does have some redeeming features;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    it almost sounds like some of these members are becoming sour pusses because it's not enough to just be a SSer to be different. "now there are guys with bigger wheels who are the minority..."
    Minority? Not for long.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    i feel that the bigger wheels will enhance what i already love about cycling offroad and especially the SS experience. more traction, momentum and the lower angle of attack over obstacles.
    It's all in your head! i.e. It is the rider... not the bike.

(ff)

mtbr member

29" >

I started on a 26" SS, just got a custom 29" SS, but here in Oregon we like em big wheels
    Jefe'
    BendOregonSingleSpeeders
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member

voted...

and my next bike will be niner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How about...

Some Vanilla....

Or for some SS content...

Sam

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    I figure going BIG is perfectly logical to any SSer, but I'm naturally biased...
    Unless your 26" ss fits you perfectly. I don't have anything against them, but being on the shorter end of the spectrum, they don't really turn my crank.

And He was Not

I like the Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Fine looking piece, Padre

I'd like to try the 29r thing. My problem is in TOO deep in 26'rs. They make sense to me. It even makes more sense on a SS level. It's all about momentum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They make *more* sense for taller people, but shorter people can see the benefits too...

However, if you're really short, it may be tough finding one to fit you properly. Kinda like finding a 46cm road bike with 700c wheels. They're out there, but sometimes finding one can be a trick.

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Unless your 26" ss fits you perfectly. I don't have anything against them, but being on the shorter end of the spectrum, they don't really turn my crank.

Medium?

The only problem with 29ers

is that the tires are too big.

It's a fat, strong cross section that I strongly prefer. Something at least as strong as a Panaracer 2.4 FR, or the WTB Laser casings, but even better are full-on DH tires like Tioga 2.3DH or a Kujo DH, which is what I've been running lately.

A 29er presents some problems for me. First and formost is that there are no tires made that have the cross-section or casing style that I ride. Second, if there were, the extra 10% diameter would result in a 10% weight penalty. These tires are already too heavy. Finally the longer spokes make a flexier wheel that's not as strong.

Don't start preaching to me about rolling over stuff either. I have no problem rolling over stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Some Vanilla....
    Or for some SS content...
    Kolo,
    Sweet Vanillas! ...some of the best looking bikes I've seen.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    They make *more* sense for taller people, but shorter people can see the benefits too...

However, if you're really short, it may be tough finding one to fit you properly. Kinda like finding a 46cm road bike with 700c wheels. They're out there, but sometimes finding one can be a trick.
    You need to take a look at this photo from WaltWork's gallery.
    http://www.waltworks.com/dev/gallery...ted-bikes/Eric
    Eric lives here in Asheville (so do I) and he is maybe 5' 6" with short legs. The frame is basically a 13" model. He used to ride (and break) full suspension bikes. He said he has never ridden a bike that he didn't eventually break. Now, he is on a 29er that fits him like a glove, and riding with a rigid fork. Not broken yet!
    So, maybe you need to go custom if you are of small stature, but they can certainly be built. Just ask Walt...
    Spinning and Grinning...

Witty McWitterson
    That mokey's not his, but it is the first one ever built. First proto done by a freind of mine. We were all clamoring over that bike when it first appeared. Looks good don't it?
    Just a regular guy.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy

It's a fat, strong cross section that I strongly prefer. Something at least as strong as a Panaracer 2.4 FR, or the WTB Laser casings, but even better are full-on DH tires like Tioga 2.3DH or a Kujo DH, which is what I've been running lately.

A 29er presents some problems for me. First and formost is that there are no tires made that have the cross-section or casing style that I ride. Second, if there were, the extra 10% diameter would result in a 10% weight penalty. These tires are already too heavy. Finally the longer spokes make a flexier wheel that's not as strong.

Don't start preaching to me about rolling over stuff either. I have no problem rolling over stuff.
    Some people.

j/k FastE. I dearly mis the Tioga DH tires too. I ran them on my small bikes till I moved 'up'. Reportedly, the Exiwolf has a thicker casing. I doubt its as thick as the Tioga, but then again, I think that tire was overbuilt a tad. I do think its kinda funny that you're complaining about potential tire wieght of 29" even though you're on dh/fr tires already. And I did get the part of matching tires, different diameters.
    Just a regular guy.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy

Haha, you're funny talking about a weight penalty while riding super-heavy FR and DH tires. BTW most of those larger DH & FR tires are bigger around than a standard 26" tire so you've already unknowingly admitted to the bigger is better idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

From riding with onegearonemind Tuesday

He had his Vulter SS 29er and on the different terrain it had apparent advantages and disadvantages. The advantages, it hauled as$ on anything singletrack, technical or smooth, rolly or descending. The bike just looks smooth and effortless pedaling and riding, could be the rider though too. It also hauls butt on gradual climbs.

The only time I saw onegearonemind at a disadvantage, was when the climbs were steep and long, you could see he had to work a lot harder to turn the big wheels over.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Damn that's a sweet looking bike, Padre.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events