mtbr member

New question here. Poll: Any interest in a Boone Ti SS chainring?

I e-mailed Brett and asked if he would manufacture a BEEFY chainring to go with pre-2003 XTR cranks.

Is there any interset?

shiftless
    Last edited by Shiftless; 01-23-2004 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
    "Work Harder...Not Smarter - Single Speed"

The Top Cap Guy
    You mean kind of like the Suffering?

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

Yep....but

Brett, is looking for input.....from the limited research (reading I've done) a few guys have snapped the Suffring.

What reccommendations would you have to improve the design?

shiftless

Single Speed Junkie
    I asked him a while back for a 32-34 tooth ring built out of the same thikness as his standard outside ring and he is willing to do such orders. Had to back out of deal due to unemployment though. Would like to see a production run of them for us SS ppl.

mtbr member

Standard Outside Ring Question

I wanted to be able to remove the spider of my XTR's and put the ring on for a "cleaner" look. Like the suffering..........

Brett is now back at it full time (I think).......so you should be able to get the standard outring(s)???

shiftless

No relation

Interest, and design suggestions...

More spokes (or whatever they're called) than the SuffeRing. Four might look cool and be stronger. The three spoke design looks great, but then you have to put one spoke behind the crank arm and it kind of spoils the look. And it's all about looks.

Holes drilled for the option of bashguard/pant leg guard attachment.

Etched with the words "What me? Worry?"
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

jja
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You mean the spiderless chainring/chainwheel, right?
    Yeah I'd prolly be interested.
    Warhawk said they'd make 'em last summer. Even took my CC# and said "2 weeks" but seem to have flaked out. I finally gave up emailing about it.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftless
    Brett, is looking for input.....from the limited research (reading I've done) a few guys have snapped the Suffring.

What reccommendations would you have to improve the design?

shiftless
    Don't have any design improvements on the Suffering as I have yet to ride mine, but I would definitely be interested in one if he made it, especially if it looked as nice and polished as the ss cog...

DT

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftless
    I e-mailed Brett and asked if he would manufacture a BEEFY chainring to go with pre-2003 XTR cranks.

Is there any interset?

shiftless
    I would be very interested in a strong Ti ring especially if it came in under $100.
    I had a Suffering that broke, they are pretty buy not beefy enough for my style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Boone Ring

I think the Spot spiderless ring is/was much nicer than the sufferring. 5 arm rings always look better than anything else(that's why Ferrari use 5 arm wheels!). 4 I could just about live with. 3 is a no no IMHO.............weight's not an issue with me. :-)

ali'i hua
    a little birdy told me that Jericho is going to start to make the sufferring with 4 spokes. more? dunno

like the bashguard idea- was thinking about drilling out one of my rings to do just that.

the what me worry idea is also kinda fun!

BontyHunter

Straight Cut Spline/Spider Mount

[SIZE=16][SIZE=5][SIZE=1]I'd be interested in either Spline Drive or Spider Mount if the price is reasonable. I'm currently using a 110 spider. I have XTR cranks and want to take advantage of the spline drive. I don't know what's going on at Jericho, but they aren't returning my calls about a Suffering, and you can't order them online anymore. Since they sponsor this board, maybe they could let us know what is happening with the Spline Drive Sufferings. I have to say that Boone makes some beautiful rings and cogs. It makes sense to enter the SS chainring market.

JahWind
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

JJT
    mtbr member
    Yeah, once my Forge ring is worn I'm in the market for a new ring. Forge is out of business and I realy like the way Boone makes their products. And their service is great too.

The Forge ring I have now is very beefy, and I've had no problems with them untill now (about 5 months of riding). It's a four arm design and it's about 5 mm thick.

Brown Technologies

Ti SS Ring

Several people have been hinting around about a beefy Ti Single Speed ring. I have a set of XTR arms coming in this week, so I should know if we can do this in Ti by the end of next week. We can do 110mm, 104mm and 94 from the beefier 3mm stock now, but I need to how the spiderless ring attaches to know how thick the stock needs to be. 5mm would be a bit expensive in Ti.
    Brett

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by brett
    Several people have been hinting around about a beefy Ti Single Speed ring. I have a set of XTR arms coming in this week, so I should know if we can do this in Ti by the end of next week. We can do 110mm, 104mm and 94 from the beefier 3mm stock now, but I need to how the spiderless ring attaches to know how thick the stock needs to be. 5mm would be a bit expensive in Ti.
    Brett
    Brett,
    If you havenít seen a Jericho ring it has a good bit of outboard offset so it must be machined from a sizable hunk of metal. I think this is required to get the proper chainline. Iím not sure how spot manufactures theirs. Personally I use a cassette hub that has adjustable chainline so its no big deal to me but freewheel users my have a problem.

Brown Technologies

Modular SS system?

Yeah, I noticed that offset from the picture above. It may have to be in 7075 Aluminum to be cost effective, but I think we can do something beefy and good looking. Or we could do a modular set up with a SS specific spider in aluminum, replaceable ti or aluminum teeth, and optional bash ring?
    Brett

get down!
    this is sounding really good...i have a jericho but i'd be down for a new boone maybe in a 32, 33 or 35?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mmmmm nice

Looking for a 40 tooth SS ti ring (just to be awkward) at the moment :-)

Currently got one 32 and one 36 Forgering, like the design and its pretty sturdy. Looking for a 40 cos thats the next gear I can do without a tensioner on my Bonty, either 4 arm compact, 5 arm compact or XTR spline (as i've got both spiders but would prefer the spline idea). Hopefully Brett'll come up with something shiny, and at the moment we're getting a great exchange rate with the USA (I'm in the UK).

Ian

Moderator Moderator

32 tooth for 2002 XTR

I would be interested in a 32 tooth for 2002 XTR cranks.

let me know, thanks - brettr at USSBIKE dot com

mtbr member

I too would be interested in a 34t

I currently run a Suffering and I have been luck so far, but I would like four or more arms as well.

ogarajef@luther.edu

Boone Chainring

I would be interested in buying a 32 T, 4 bolt , 104mm Ti ring.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"