mtbr member

Please help me out...

Situation:
    Singlespeed Santa Cruz Chameleon 2:1 ratio [32/16]
    Horizontal Dropouts w/ 135mm QR wheel.
    Surly Tuggnut on Driveside

Occurrences:
    2 broken chains in the last two days.
    I loosen everything, the skewer, tuggnut and even the rear caliper. Pull the wheel back to proper chain tension and secure the previous items. 50% of the time the chain goes slack as soon as I tighten things, if it doesn't, it becomes slack within 30 seconds of riding. Wheel is still ending up too far to the driveside, almost hitting the chainstay.
    I already have the tuggnut going on and it isnt really helping much.
    Any suggestions? Should I try and get a 10mm bolt on axle and really tighten it down or something?
    any help would rock. Thanks so much.
    Cheers
    Erik

Hairshirt Rider
    What brand QR are you using. They are not all created equal. FWIW I used a bolt on hub when I had my lizard and never had any problems with slippage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    What brand QR are you using. They are not all created equal. FWIW I used a bolt on hub when I had my lizard and never had any problems with slippage.

Yar I think I am going to go with a bolt on. I am using an older XT QR now. What kind of bolt on did you use?
    Can I use a bolt on with a standard QR hub?
    Thanks
    E

himom!
    Apr 2006
    How it is going slack before you even ride! The XT skewers are some of the strongest available. Whether you can convert to bolt-on or not depends on your hub. What brand/model is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    How it is going slack before you even ride! The XT skewers are some of the strongest available. Whether you can convert to bolt-on or not depends on your hub. What brand/model is it?
    I dont know, Its a Velocity, thats all it says...

mtbr member
    If the Tuggnut is properly setup there should not be any way for the driveside of the wheel to shift forward, QR or not

I use a Tuggnut with a generic QR on my bike. If I don't tighten it hard enough the disc side can shift a little but not the drive side.

aka baycat
    Could it be the chain you are using?

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    What kind of chain are you using?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    If the Tuggnut is properly setup there should not be any way for the driveside of the wheel to shift forward, QR or not

I use a Tuggnut with a generic QR on my bike. If I don't tighten it hard enough the disc side can shift a little but not the drive side.
    Read this as many times as it takes to sink in. It's all there. Once all the truths are understood, the impossibilities will likewise reveal themselves. It's all there. Read it as often as it takes.

Peace out.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Read this as many times as it takes to sink in. It's all there. Once all the truths are understood, the impossibilities will likewise reveal themselves. It's all there. Read it as often as it takes.

Peace out.

--sParty
    Edit: Gosh, I sure do sound lippy & superior sometimes, don't I. Sorry. Please ignore that part. Meanwhile, the truth remains the truth.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Had a Sram PC1 single speeder on there, it broke so I used an older [still great] sram PC 991 (i think) chain.
    Not super heavy duty, but still strong.
    I looking into a Pintle style half link chain today. that still wont stop wheel slidage though.
    The tuggnut is a pretty basic mechanism, I am sure I am not using it incorrectly.
    Ill try another QR, and maybe see if I can get a bolt on axle..
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edray
    Had a Sram PC1 single speeder on there, it broke so I used an older [still great] sram PC 991 (i think) chain.
    Not super heavy duty, but still strong.
    I looking into a Pintle style half link chain today. that still wont stop wheel slidage though.
    The tuggnut is a pretty basic mechanism, I am sure I am not using it incorrectly.
    Ill try another QR, and maybe see if I can get a bolt on axle..
    Thanks guys
    Sorry this has to be repeated: with a properly set up tuggnut the drive side of the hub should not possibly be able to slide forward. Is the wheel still sliding forward or is there some other way that the chain is becoming loose?

As far as the tuggnut goes, do you have the QR washer installed (piece on the right side of the pic) with the small portion inside the hole on the tuggnut and the outside of the washer flush with the outside of the tuggnut?
    Do you have the screw turned in enough so that the stopper piece is in contact with the end of the dropout?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I had the same problem on my Soma. Used a tugnut and salsa QR, no matter how much I tightened it, the non-drive side slipped and the chain became slack. Picked up a Hope Pro II hub already set up as bolt on and haven't had any problems since.

human dehumidifier
    This may be incredibly naive, but couldn't you just add a tugnut to the other side and call it done?
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aplitt86
    I had the same problem on my Soma. Used a tugnut and salsa QR, no matter how much I tightened it, the non-drive side slipped and the chain became slack. Picked up a Hope Pro II hub already set up as bolt on and haven't had any problems since.
    Hmm, maybe i did miss something. I've never had my non-drive side slip more than 1/32" to 1/16" and my Novatec skewer is a nearly identical design to the Salsa. That only happened when I didn't have it tight enough; normally there is no NDS movement.

Which direction did the NDS slip and how far did it have to move to create a slack chain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    This may be incredibly naive, but couldn't you just add a tugnut to the other side and call it done?
    the tugnutt would only help if the NDS is slipping forward. If it is slipping backwards (disc brakes can cause this right?) the tugnutt can't do a thing.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    how is the chain line? any pictures?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green