mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Platform Pedals for SSing

Anyone out there a Urban and XC rider that rides Platforms - just would like to hear your thoughts and advantages vs disadvantages your flats.

I keep switching back and forth from clipless to platforms

thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    have an old pair of platforms of a kona that i use periodically. great to slap on when i am taking out friends who borrow a bike and dont have experience with toe clips. i'll use them when i am cruising around town with my son who loves to stop short without warning, or sometimes on a new trail to have more freedom to pop a foot of as needed..i dont use the traps with huge teeth - ie the shinburgers, as i like my shin flesh..

mtbr member
    I like my flats. I ride the Kona Jacksh!t pedals. I ride XC with them and have no problems. I climb just fine on flats and never liked the pulling up on the pedal clipless technique for climbings personally. To each their own.

Seems like many folks gash themselves up pretty good on the shins and knees when they slip on the pedals or in crashes. The pins on some of these flats can gash through your shins and to the bones. I guess that would be a downside

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    THx Meat Tooth Paste-
    I' appreciate your Opinion - I'm gonna ride my flats for another week and see how it goes.
    Do you do any urban riding - Do you use shin guards when you ride xc??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unospeed
    THx Meat Tooth Paste-
    I' appreciate your Opinion - I'm gonna ride my flats for another week and see how it goes.
    Do you do any urban riding - Do you use shin guards when you ride xc??
    I had a short stint DJ and urban summer. Hurt my back and sold the sweet orange Cowan I had built up. Now it's just XC and fixie road riding for me.

I don't wear wear shin guards for XC. Lizard Skinz does make some nice soft padded tight shin guards w/ a plastic insert. Seems like these wouldn't be bulky for XC. Just might get hot under there though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No more racer

Since becoming a "rider" and giving up racing,,,,I ride nothing but flats----lov em....JJ
    www.vailcycleworks.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been riding flats lately because I'm very slow on the technical stuff and they give me more confidence because its easier to bail. I have felt like I lost some power though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    great feed back - thanks

got bike?
    Anyone out there a Urban and XC rider that rides Platforms - just would like to hear your thoughts and advantages vs disadvantages your flats.

thx
    I rode clipless for about 4 years but after a bad crash in the winter, i had to switch to flats cuz my knees couldn't do clipless. Even tried Frogs but the pain wouldn't go away. So I switched to platforms (zu-zu's) and I've been riding them ever since without pain. Love them. I don't feel any disadvantage.

DOH!
    100% flats for everything (XC, urban, DH race, DJ, stunts). I also wear a set of SixSixOne Veggie shin guards 100% of the time (for XC, and heavier armor for DH/freeride), after having had an "oh, hello there Mr. Shinbone" moment several years back when a half-pount of spikey aluminim came back 'round and bit my unprotected leg on an XC ride.

I even do an XC race now and again on flats. Baggies and shinguards, too, but I'm not out to break any records ( gasp!..having fun in an XC race ), so it's all good. I sold off my Frogs - the only clipless-type pedal that my knees were happy with - after hanging up the titanium hardtail.

It's been discussed to death, but I fully agree that riding flats - IMHO - teaches you good pedaling technique, as well as how to bunny hop the "right" way. Insta-bail availablility is also a huge plus on elevated stunts. YMMV. Cheers!

190lbs of climber

no need to switch

thx
    get crank vbros mallets
    They're clipless with a massive platform built around
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

OK, stupid question here

Are "shin-friendly" platforms completely useless? Is there happy medium between a good grip and lovely legs? As a feller who's been either strapped or clipped for 20 years now, I recently tried a friend's ZuZu's. I was impressed by the control and very much intimidated by the pins.

mtbr member

I don't think you'll like Mallets

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    get crank vbros mallets
    They're clipless with a massive platform built around
    I've got a pair of Mallets and rarely use them. If you're going to be clipped in on XC, then just use regular eggbeaters. If you want a platform, then Mallets aren't that great because the clips bulge up under the soles of your Vans. The teeth are pretty slippery. In the end I've got a pair of Mallets that are rarely used, a pair of eggbeaters for XC rides (fixed and geared), and a pair of sealed bearing Supergo platforms that are very similar to old shimano DXs for jumping/urban/trials/dorking around. I like the platforms on the singlespeed because of the BMX nostalgia and simplicity of it.

aka rockyonekc
    One advantage of platforms to me, is finer, more precise control of the edges of my tires. Another advantage is the ability to move my feet into different positions during long rides to mix up muscle use in my legs.

I used to switch back and forth between Times and Flats. Now I ride flats 99.9% of the time. Then again, I don't race....

-DD
    Good Trails Don't Build Themselves - Earn Your Dirt

http://earthriders.org

Are your pants fresh?

Clipped

in for me on my SS, but I've dabbled a bit with platforms on my squishy bike.

Not to hijack, but a quick question.

For really bumpy, rocky downhills how do you lot keep your feet glued to the pedals? I liked being able to shift my feet around, but found that I didn't feel too secure once it got really bumpy. (I was riding ZuZu's as well).

FP

mtbr member
    For trail riding, I'll use clipless, but on neighbourhood and urban lunch hour rides I'll put on a pair of DK Iron Cross pedals. Loved the fact that I had a bit more control with the flats, and didn't need to bring to work an extra pair of shoes to ride in, just my vans or pumas or whatever sneaker I was wearing. Only bad thing was on a downhill stuck between cars on my left and those huge road construction barrels on my right, my foot slipped off the right pedal and three pins of that pedal embedded themselves into my calf! I now have 1 large and 2 smaller circular scars on my calf, kinda in the shape of a bowling ball's finger hole pattern.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

aka rockyonekc
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshpants
    For really bumpy, rocky downhills how do you lot keep your feet glued to the pedals? I liked being able to shift my feet around, but found that I didn't feel too secure once it got really bumpy. (I was riding ZuZu's as well).

FP
    Sorry so late, but my lurker rules apply.

IMHO, the ZuZu's don't have long enough, or aggressive enough pins. There's a big "sticki-ness" difference between my Zu-Zu's and my Planet X Clingons. The pins on the Clingons have almost twice the exposed pin length. That and soft shoes.

My $.02

DD
    Good Trails Don't Build Themselves - Earn Your Dirt

http://earthriders.org