Appalachian Singletrack'n

Pisgah really sucks on a Singlespeed

I met up with A:42 and brewSSard today for a quick spin up Laurel Mountain down Pilot Rock then cut across some fire road plus a little bushwhacking to Slate Rock Creek back to the car. What can I say the climbs where easy, the descents weren’t very technical (heck their was hardly a rock in the whole trail), all the stream crossings where totally rideable and as always in Pisgah the scenery sucked!

A:42 riding the smooth single track
    [IMG]http://[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg p2.jpg (182.7 KB, 824 views)
    Last edited by Endomaniac; 01-17-2004 at 04:59 PM.

BrewSSard cleaning the same section
    I had a great time. both these guys are fantastic SS'rs and lots of fun to ride with. Hopefully we will find a decent trail next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg p1.jpg (176.9 KB, 806 views)

mtbr member

Nothing like our trails here.

Wouldn't mind having a few rocks to ride on.. Ours are all buried in dozens of feet of dirt.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

mmmm...Pisgah

One of the best places in the world
    IMHO,
    I would love to be there right now

Thanks for the pics

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

I was in Pisgah on my SS Sat

I just moved to Asheville from CO and need to find some SSers to ride with. I hit all the stuff around the fish hatchery on Sat, something like 20 miles. Good stuff.

Let me know the next time you head out.

Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    I met up with A:42 and brewSSard today for a quick spin up Laurel Mountain down Pilot Rock then cut across some fire road plus a little bushwhacking to Slate Rock Creek back to the car. What can I say the climbs where easy, the descents weren’t very technical (heck their was hardly a rock in the whole trail), all the stream crossings where totally rideable and as always in Pisgah the scenery sucked!

A:42 riding the smooth single track

Breathus Hardus

Look out MBA cover here I come.

Ahh dig that dudes stylee orange gloves contrasting nicely with a red jacket which doesn’t quite match his fork or helmet, set off by nice mint sherbert jersey highlights.
    Man camel backs are soo much more stylish than having a waterbottle hanging out your jersey pocket giving you some sort of reverse Quasimodo look.

As I remember things, my first mistake was not removing each riders right pedal (other than mine of course) these of course would be returned when the b@stards made it to the top (Ok when I finally struggled to the top to give them back).
    Other than feeling that the only way I could keep within 10 min of those 2 climbing up Laurel Mt. was on a motocross bike It was a great day.

Warning signs that your casual ride might not turn out the way you had hoped.

When the first guy you meet casually mentions that he prefers 12 & 24 hour race formats……….

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    I must ride that trail, we tried this summer and got about a mile up and it started storming, I havent gone back. Cool meeting you up at bennet gap today, what did you think of that trail?

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    I must ride that trail, we tried this summer and got about a mile up and it started storming, I havent gone back. Cool meeting you up at bennet gap today, what did you think of that trail?
    Bennet Gap was great, some very tricky sections, I should take note that when everyone is shuttling to the top on downhill bikes that I’m in for something interesting. Did you guys clean that last rock section before the left turn? I wasn’t sure how It could be done, looked like some people where launching off that left side at the bottom.
    After Bennet we drove over to the Fish Hatchery and road Daniel Ridge loop and then on up the road and down Long Branch Trail. That was my first time to ride Daniel Ridge it has some seriously technical climbing. Long Branch was a great conclusion to a long day.

It was good to meet you guys today. Sixty degrees and sunshiny day in Pisgah is hard to beat in January.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Bennet Gap was great, some very tricky sections, I should take note that when everyone is shuttling to the top on downhill bikes that I’m in for something interesting. Did you guys clean that last rock section before the left turn? I wasn’t sure how It could be done, looked like some people where launching off that left side at the bottom.
    After Bennet we drove over to the Fish Hatchery and road Daniel Ridge loop and then on up the road and down Long Branch Trail. That was my first time to ride Daniel Ridge it has some seriously technical climbing. Long Branch was a great conclusion to a long day.

It was good to meet you guys today. Sixty degrees and sunshiny day in Pisgah is hard to beat in January.
    Yeah we both cleaned the last rock section and the rock step switchback. The last rock section is hard, I tried it on our second run and didnt make it, but I made it the first time. I have seen someone on a DH bike hit the rock drop, the landing is nasty! The line I took down that last section was straight down the middle towards the rock drop, then a sharp right and hop onto the right rock slab, then roll right off that and you are home free. Did you guys turn left or follow bennet gap? We hit both since we were shuttling, and I liked the left way better on the hardtail, but the straight way is more fun when I have my FS bike I think.