Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Picked up a Redline Monocog...

I've been scowering Craigslist and other barter type sites for about a month looking for a singlespeed 29er... Finally stumbled on a Redline Monocog yesterday. Only issue is the seatpost is stuck, but I'm not too worried about it. The owner used a screwdriver to try and give it a bit of space to wiggle out, and the result was the fins in the top of the seatpost (has a slot in the rear of the tube) are bent out a tiny bit. He also marred up the seat post pretty bad with a pipe wrench so I think I'll just look for a replacement post and saddle. I don't think the damage will affect having a new seatpost put in but I guess we'll see. See pic below.

I'm having trouble figuring out what year model it is, however. It has Tektro linear brakes, the slot in the top of the seat tube, and the frame color is a dark purple color. I'm curious what the gearing is, not sure if every year is the same but just curious what the specs are.

No other pics so far but I'll throw some up later tonight or tomorrow morning when I start cleaning it up... I paid $140 for it, so I can't really complain. I can't wait to order some parts and hit the streets with it though!

mtbr member
    Maybe post up a whole pic of the bike on here? Also when I'm looking at older bikes I usually check bikepedia.

mtbr member
    I had one of those and I think it was a 2010- BikePedia - 2010 Redline Monocog 26 Complete Bicycle

if they did a different color every year, that would be it. it was quite a porker and gradually replaced all the parts to make it lighter. great bike!

I think they used a 26.8mm seatpost that year, which was kind of a pain. try this:
    14 Ways to Unstick a Seatpost

you might end up scratching the daylights out of the seatpost in order to get it, but it's probably worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Maybe post up a whole pic of the bike on here? Also when I'm looking at older bikes I usually check bikepedia.
    I take it you neglected to read the part where I said I don't have any other pics, and would post more when I get off work and start cleaning it... Sorry for your confusion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I had one of those and I think it was a 2010- BikePedia - 2010 Redline Monocog 26 Complete Bicycle

if they did a different color every year, that would be it. it was quite a porker and gradually replaced all the parts to make it lighter. great bike!

I think they used a 26.8mm seatpost that year, which was kind of a pain. try this:

you might end up scratching the daylights out of the seatpost in order to get it, but it's probably worth it.
    Thanks, Mack... It seems super light already to me, but that's compared to my Motobecane X7 (hardtail 29er). I'm 6'3'' 270lbs, so I'm not much of a weight snob... yet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man, Craigslist is on the money today! Picking up a second set of wheels (with some knobby Innova tires, 160mm rotors and a singlespeed cog), set of Hayes disk brakes and levers, a stem and WTB seat, Suntour 32T front crank, and a Thompson 90mm stem for $150. Looks like I'll be under $300 for this thing afterall

mtbr member
    good job! so many people buy junk on craigslist and get burned. sounds like you got a killer deal.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

x2 on this, OP nice CL score....twice lol. PB Blaster is the chit for freeing up stuck parts.

EDIT: What are some people thinking prying the seat tube that far with a screwdriver???
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    x2 on this, OP nice CL score....twice lol. PB Blaster is the chit for freeing up stuck parts.

EDIT: What are some people thinking prying the seat tube that far with a screwdriver???
    Thanks... Yeah I thought the same thing, but it seems like it'd be easy enough to bend back. I guess we'll see when I get the seatpost out, I'll probably just use two clamps to get it back to where it was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    take the bike to a welder and have him heat the seat post the 4130 frame will not mind the heat. With the heat the seat post will slide out like butter. on those frame you have to keep the seat post lubed of course it will stick but prior to that it will squeak with is almost as annoying. i miss my redline

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxshep View Post
    I take it you neglected to read the part where I said I don't have any other pics, and would post more when I get off work and start cleaning it... Sorry for your confusion.
    My bad I didn't realize it was hard to snap another pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

NedwannaB

Play nice when asking for help!

May be that YOU neglected to do an inquiry post/search in the REDLINE forum first too!

Lots of good help from peeps on these forums when one doesn't come off like an a$$hat from the get go. Just say'n....

Now as for your fix, I'd say that seat tube looks pretty F'd up to me, specially if you plan to get another clean seatpost to use. You could probably manipulate the top collar back in form somewhat, then ream out/clean up the inside with a Dremil and long mini-drum type sanding wheel(or wrap layers of some emory cloth type sandpaper around something you can use in a drill motor to fill void if its smaller diameter than i.d. of seat tube. After that you can cut a thin sleeve-shim out of a RedBull can like I did that just wraps around short of overlapping itself (i.e. leave small gap you can align with slot on seat tube) long enough for it to go into seat tube 2-3" and stick out above for style. Ends up looking pretty trick too....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    My bad I didn't realize it was hard to snap another pic.
    Touche~. Snap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    May be that YOU neglected to do an inquiry post/search in the REDLINE forum first too!

Lots of good help from peeps on these forums when one doesn't come off like an a$$hat from the get go. Just say'n....
    I said I'd post a pic when I got home from work, which I did... dunno who is the a$$hat there (if there is one), I think next time I'll just wait until I get home from work to make a thread AND post a pic, to avoid the confusion and resulting drama.

Thanks for the suggestion though, truely.. I hope to tear the bike down this weekend and then try and work on the seatpost issue with a bare frame. I've been spraying it with some metal penetrant twice a day so I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue once it's in a vice.

In terms of the metal (I think chrome moly), is that generally easier to work with than a steel frame?

NedwannaB
    Thanks for the suggestion though, truely.. I hope to tear the bike down this weekend and then try and work on the seatpost issue with a bare frame. I've been spraying it with some metal penetrant twice a day so I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue once it's in a vice.

In terms of the metal (I think chrome moly), is that generally easier to work with than a steel frame?
    Good luck with the extraction. A ride buddy neglected his early model SC Superlight for a few years and his post got stuck. Unfortunately in a lower than optimal position the last time he rode it. So he could jam on the descents, but was painful to watch climb in the seated position. Did the same as you with lube but never did get it to come out. Snapped seat head off in the end. Then bought a new(r) bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll probably end up drilling a hole through the Redline seatpost and using some sort of metal rod as a breaker bar to twist at it. If that doesn't work, I'll move onto applying a little heat on the frame. Aaaand if that doesn't work, I'll cut the seatpost about an inch from the frame and use a hacksaw blade to start cutting the seatpost while it's inside the frame.

Lesson learned though, first thing I did when I got home last night was apply a little anti-seize on the seatpost of my current bike.

mtbr member
    Soak the area in PB Blaster or with Cola, clamp the seatpost to a bench vice and use the frame as your lever.

No need for heat yet IMO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Agree with driver bob--soak liberally with PB Blaster for a few days then clamp and twist on the bench. I've heard ammonia works, too, but I had a hard time trying to keep it soaked in the stuff, since it evaporates fairly quick.

mtbr member
    It may just be the angle but it looks like the other wheelset you picked up is for a 29er. Hope I'm wrong.

If nothing else works you may be able to get the seatpost out by getting the bike really cold - I'm assuming its an aluminum post which will contract faster than the steel frame.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    It may just be the angle but it looks like the other wheelset you picked up is for a 29er. Hope I'm wrong.
    I think both the wheels and bike are 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 29er... I currently have another 29er (Motobecane Fantom 29 X7 21inch frame), with the factory wheelset. The extra wheelset I bought has some Innova knobby tires on it, I'm not even sure what brand the wheels are. I figured it'd be nice throwing a cog on it and having two sets of wheels for the Monocog, one with knobby tires and one with street (and different gearing, respectively).

Speaking of cogs, I have a quick question... If I want to change the gearing on this Monocog, do I just need a different size cog or do I get a "freewheel"? I was debating switching my Motobecane to singlespeed at some point and I would have needed spacers and a cog for the rear wheel, IIRC. For a dedicated singlespeed rear wheel setup, is it set up differently?

I'm researching it now as I speak, I'm sure it's been mentioned in this forum before it's just a matter of digging a bit haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If it's stock, it's a cog, not a FW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks... counted the teeth, I have a 33 chainring and 14 rear cog. I'll probably pick up an 18 and 20 cog to play with gearing.

I was able to bust the post a little loose but not able to get it out. I can spin it with a pipe wrench but it won't come out at all. I even tried clamping a bench vice to it while it was suspended and spinning it with a pipe wrench, but no dice

Then, from there I put a scissor jack between the vice and the frame to apply some force, still wouldn't budge. I'm not sure if taking it to a shop will benefit me more than what I'm already doing, but I'll keep spraying it down with PB blaster all week and go at it again next weekend I guess.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Had a similar problem with a friends frame, the post would turn but wouldn't pull out.

The seatpost was screwed anyway so I drilled through it at the top, put a bolt through the hole, clamped the post into the vise so that the frame was upside down with the bolt up against the underside of the vise jaws.

Put a towel on my shoulder, jammed my shoulder into the downtube/seat tube junction, and used my mega powerful single speeders thighs to put immense pressure onto the frame while twisting the frame back and forth.

It was a bit of a contortionist job, and I got a sore shoulder out of it, but it got there in the end.

Grumps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast