Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Picked up a Redline Monocog...

I've been scowering Craigslist and other barter type sites for about a month looking for a singlespeed 29er... Finally stumbled on a Redline Monocog yesterday. Only issue is the seatpost is stuck, but I'm not too worried about it. The owner used a screwdriver to try and give it a bit of space to wiggle out, and the result was the fins in the top of the seatpost (has a slot in the rear of the tube) are bent out a tiny bit. He also marred up the seat post pretty bad with a pipe wrench so I think I'll just look for a replacement post and saddle. I don't think the damage will affect having a new seatpost put in but I guess we'll see. See pic below.

I'm having trouble figuring out what year model it is, however. It has Tektro linear brakes, the slot in the top of the seat tube, and the frame color is a dark purple color. I'm curious what the gearing is, not sure if every year is the same but just curious what the specs are.

No other pics so far but I'll throw some up later tonight or tomorrow morning when I start cleaning it up... I paid $140 for it, so I can't really complain. I can't wait to order some parts and hit the streets with it though!

mtbr member
    Maybe post up a whole pic of the bike on here? Also when I'm looking at older bikes I usually check bikepedia.

mtbr member
    I had one of those and I think it was a 2010- BikePedia - 2010 Redline Monocog 26 Complete Bicycle

if they did a different color every year, that would be it. it was quite a porker and gradually replaced all the parts to make it lighter. great bike!

I think they used a 26.8mm seatpost that year, which was kind of a pain. try this:
    14 Ways to Unstick a Seatpost

you might end up scratching the daylights out of the seatpost in order to get it, but it's probably worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Maybe post up a whole pic of the bike on here? Also when I'm looking at older bikes I usually check bikepedia.
    I take it you neglected to read the part where I said I don't have any other pics, and would post more when I get off work and start cleaning it... Sorry for your confusion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I had one of those and I think it was a 2010- BikePedia - 2010 Redline Monocog 26 Complete Bicycle

if they did a different color every year, that would be it. it was quite a porker and gradually replaced all the parts to make it lighter. great bike!

I think they used a 26.8mm seatpost that year, which was kind of a pain. try this:

you might end up scratching the daylights out of the seatpost in order to get it, but it's probably worth it.
    Thanks, Mack... It seems super light already to me, but that's compared to my Motobecane X7 (hardtail 29er). I'm 6'3'' 270lbs, so I'm not much of a weight snob... yet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man, Craigslist is on the money today! Picking up a second set of wheels (with some knobby Innova tires, 160mm rotors and a singlespeed cog), set of Hayes disk brakes and levers, a stem and WTB seat, Suntour 32T front crank, and a Thompson 90mm stem for $150. Looks like I'll be under $300 for this thing afterall

mtbr member
    good job! so many people buy junk on craigslist and get burned. sounds like you got a killer deal.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

x2 on this, OP nice CL score....twice lol. PB Blaster is the chit for freeing up stuck parts.

EDIT: What are some people thinking prying the seat tube that far with a screwdriver???
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    x2 on this, OP nice CL score....twice lol. PB Blaster is the chit for freeing up stuck parts.

EDIT: What are some people thinking prying the seat tube that far with a screwdriver???
    Thanks... Yeah I thought the same thing, but it seems like it'd be easy enough to bend back. I guess we'll see when I get the seatpost out, I'll probably just use two clamps to get it back to where it was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    take the bike to a welder and have him heat the seat post the 4130 frame will not mind the heat. With the heat the seat post will slide out like butter. on those frame you have to keep the seat post lubed of course it will stick but prior to that it will squeak with is almost as annoying. i miss my redline

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxshep View Post
    I take it you neglected to read the part where I said I don't have any other pics, and would post more when I get off work and start cleaning it... Sorry for your confusion.
    My bad I didn't realize it was hard to snap another pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

NedwannaB

Play nice when asking for help!

May be that YOU neglected to do an inquiry post/search in the REDLINE forum first too!

Lots of good help from peeps on these forums when one doesn't come off like an a$$hat from the get go. Just say'n....

Now as for your fix, I'd say that seat tube looks pretty F'd up to me, specially if you plan to get another clean seatpost to use. You could probably manipulate the top collar back in form somewhat, then ream out/clean up the inside with a Dremil and long mini-drum type sanding wheel(or wrap layers of some emory cloth type sandpaper around something you can use in a drill motor to fill void if its smaller diameter than i.d. of seat tube. After that you can cut a thin sleeve-shim out of a RedBull can like I did that just wraps around short of overlapping itself (i.e. leave small gap you can align with slot on seat tube) long enough for it to go into seat tube 2-3" and stick out above for style. Ends up looking pretty trick too....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    My bad I didn't realize it was hard to snap another pic.
    Touche~. Snap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    May be that YOU neglected to do an inquiry post/search in the REDLINE forum first too!

Lots of good help from peeps on these forums when one doesn't come off like an a$$hat from the get go. Just say'n....
    I said I'd post a pic when I got home from work, which I did... dunno who is the a$$hat there (if there is one), I think next time I'll just wait until I get home from work to make a thread AND post a pic, to avoid the confusion and resulting drama.

Thanks for the suggestion though, truely.. I hope to tear the bike down this weekend and then try and work on the seatpost issue with a bare frame. I've been spraying it with some metal penetrant twice a day so I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue once it's in a vice.

In terms of the metal (I think chrome moly), is that generally easier to work with than a steel frame?

NedwannaB
    Thanks for the suggestion though, truely.. I hope to tear the bike down this weekend and then try and work on the seatpost issue with a bare frame. I've been spraying it with some metal penetrant twice a day so I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue once it's in a vice.

In terms of the metal (I think chrome moly), is that generally easier to work with than a steel frame?
    Good luck with the extraction. A ride buddy neglected his early model SC Superlight for a few years and his post got stuck. Unfortunately in a lower than optimal position the last time he rode it. So he could jam on the descents, but was painful to watch climb in the seated position. Did the same as you with lube but never did get it to come out. Snapped seat head off in the end. Then bought a new(r) bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll probably end up drilling a hole through the Redline seatpost and using some sort of metal rod as a breaker bar to twist at it. If that doesn't work, I'll move onto applying a little heat on the frame. Aaaand if that doesn't work, I'll cut the seatpost about an inch from the frame and use a hacksaw blade to start cutting the seatpost while it's inside the frame.

Lesson learned though, first thing I did when I got home last night was apply a little anti-seize on the seatpost of my current bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Soak the area in PB Blaster or with Cola, clamp the seatpost to a bench vice and use the frame as your lever.

No need for heat yet IMO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Agree with driver bob--soak liberally with PB Blaster for a few days then clamp and twist on the bench. I've heard ammonia works, too, but I had a hard time trying to keep it soaked in the stuff, since it evaporates fairly quick.

mtbr member
    It may just be the angle but it looks like the other wheelset you picked up is for a 29er. Hope I'm wrong.

If nothing else works you may be able to get the seatpost out by getting the bike really cold - I'm assuming its an aluminum post which will contract faster than the steel frame.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    It may just be the angle but it looks like the other wheelset you picked up is for a 29er. Hope I'm wrong.
    I think both the wheels and bike are 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 29er... I currently have another 29er (Motobecane Fantom 29 X7 21inch frame), with the factory wheelset. The extra wheelset I bought has some Innova knobby tires on it, I'm not even sure what brand the wheels are. I figured it'd be nice throwing a cog on it and having two sets of wheels for the Monocog, one with knobby tires and one with street (and different gearing, respectively).

Speaking of cogs, I have a quick question... If I want to change the gearing on this Monocog, do I just need a different size cog or do I get a "freewheel"? I was debating switching my Motobecane to singlespeed at some point and I would have needed spacers and a cog for the rear wheel, IIRC. For a dedicated singlespeed rear wheel setup, is it set up differently?

I'm researching it now as I speak, I'm sure it's been mentioned in this forum before it's just a matter of digging a bit haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If it's stock, it's a cog, not a FW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks... counted the teeth, I have a 33 chainring and 14 rear cog. I'll probably pick up an 18 and 20 cog to play with gearing.

I was able to bust the post a little loose but not able to get it out. I can spin it with a pipe wrench but it won't come out at all. I even tried clamping a bench vice to it while it was suspended and spinning it with a pipe wrench, but no dice

Then, from there I put a scissor jack between the vice and the frame to apply some force, still wouldn't budge. I'm not sure if taking it to a shop will benefit me more than what I'm already doing, but I'll keep spraying it down with PB blaster all week and go at it again next weekend I guess.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Had a similar problem with a friends frame, the post would turn but wouldn't pull out.

The seatpost was screwed anyway so I drilled through it at the top, put a bolt through the hole, clamped the post into the vise so that the frame was upside down with the bolt up against the underside of the vise jaws.

Put a towel on my shoulder, jammed my shoulder into the downtube/seat tube junction, and used my mega powerful single speeders thighs to put immense pressure onto the frame while twisting the frame back and forth.

It was a bit of a contortionist job, and I got a sore shoulder out of it, but it got there in the end.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions

Good news is that I had it spinning (with some force, but it was spinning with the pipe wrench)... so the "bond" has been broken. However, I've been soaking it in windex, rust penetrant, and now WD-40 for almost a week and it's still as stuck as it ever was. I tried applying some heat to the frame with a heat gun (probably in the 150-170 degree range) but it didn't help of course. I was just getting frustrated haha. Everything I've done, I've pulled it out MAYBE a quarter of an inch. That was a ton of sweat and blood (cut myself pretty good on a shard of aluminum) to get it where it is now.

So I think where I'm at now, I'm going to cut all but about 2 inches of the seatpost... then I'll take a hacksaw and make a few pie cuts on the top of the protruding seatpost. I'll clamp it down in the bench vice to hopefully reduce some of the top of the seatpost, then start twisting again. If that doesn't work too well, I'll use a hand saw to cut length-ways into the frame and start trying to remove it in sections.

I'm dying to get this thing back together!!!!!!!!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Steel frame and aluminium* seatpost?

Caustic soda.

It will eat the aluminium but not touch the steel. Not sure about what it does to paint, so please google yourself silly before doing this.

Once it's eaten away the seatpost, you can (and should) clean the seat tube out. Bit of sandpaper on a long dowel is good enough.

Grumps

* we call it aluminium here in Australia. We're tough here in Australia by the way. We remove most stuck seatposts with our teeth. Grrr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Haha thanks... I think I'll try the hacksaw route first, and if I can't get a good grip on the seatpost then I'll go the caustic soda route. I would do that now, but I don't have a bottom bracket tool to get the BB out first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

It's getting chewed up, that's for sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think I would look for a couple of good stout fenceposts and pull the thing out with a come-along.

Moderator Moderator
    Get that post clamped in the bench vice as close to the frame as possible and just keep working at it back and forth, it'll come out eventually !!

mtbr member
    Along with all the traditional lubricants/solvents/general-parts-un-sticker solutions, have you tried boiling a very large pot of water and dumping it down the cavity between the seatpost and seat tube? If you could pull the bottom bracket I'd recommend throwing on some work gloves, then pouring the water down the cut-off end of the seatpost. Proceed to slosh the near-boiling water around in the seat tube as best you can.

The benefit here is that whether or not it further un-sticks the seatpost, it won't hurt anything, provided you pull the bottom bracket (seals sometimes react adversely to boiled water )

Also, a sub-topic that doesn't seem to have been publicly considered: is the forlorn seatpost the correct diameter to begin with? The classic line I got fed in the shop at one point was "it didn't quite fit, so I pounded it in." In that case, the seat tube was actually bulging out at the insertion depth and nothing I did could get that customer's seatpost free. In your case, 0.2mm oversize diameter could be confounding any non-surgical means of freeing the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    it has to be heated with an acetylene torch, i promise take it to a welder.
    a heat gun nor propane will get hot enough to swell the metal.
    he will heat up the seat post and it will pull out like butter and he'll charge you
    5 bucks with is far less then the amount of money you would put in chemicals getting the post out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm fairly certain it's the factory seatpost but I may be mistaken... It appears to be the correct diameter, though.

I bought a little vertical hacksaw blade holder at Walmart last night, so I think I'm going to start hacking it up tonight (provided the opening in the center is large enough. If not, I'll drill a 1/2 hole through the seatpost and put a rod through it, hang it up in a tree or from the ceiling, and start hanging from it and twisting. We'll see how tonight goes though

mtbr member
    I'm fairly certain it's the factory seatpost but I may be mistaken... It appears to be the correct diameter, though.

I bought a little vertical hacksaw blade holder at Walmart last night, so I think I'm going to start hacking it up tonight (provided the opening in the center is large enough. If not, I'll drill a 1/2 hole through the seatpost and put a rod through it, hang it up in a tree or from the ceiling, and start hanging from it and twisting. We'll see how tonight goes though
    One of my riding buddies/LBS mech has cut top of seatpost off maybe an inch above the frame then cut through post up and down from inside with a hacksaw blade and then just "peeled" it out. You might try that. Just cut post vertically on one side or two, top to bottom. Not as PITA as it sounds and doesn't dick up your frame like a torch or whatever. Good luck
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well after two hours, I'm more frustrated than ever. I used a hacksaw and cut all but about the top protruding two inches of the seatpost. From there, I used a dremel tool to make four cuts down the OUTSIDE of the protruding seatpost. Then, I cut down the INSIDE of the seatpost with the hacksaw.

I thought for SURE this would work. Moved over to the bench mounted vice and clamped down, and the four "pedals" just cracked off at the base of the seat tube. Grrreeeeeeaaaaaaat, now I don't have anything to grip onto.

So this is where I'm at now... I dulled/bent three hacksaw blades (I'm out of fresh ones), and went through two dremel wheels. There is juuuuuust enough protruding seatpost to grab onto once I make the cuts all the way through the inside of the seatpost. Once the inside cuts are made all the way through the post, I'll use some needle nose pliers and drive a wedge down the inside of the seat tube.

Cuts with the hacksaw about 3/4 of the way down the inside of remaining seatpost... It goes about another inch further than what cuts I could make tonight.

What remains up top....

Aaaand what part of the work bench looks like... What I've removed on the left.

All I can say is, this bike better be AWESOME when I'm finished with it. Looking down the seat tube, I can see a massive pile of metal shavings sitting on top of the bottom bracket, so I'll just go ahead and replace that once this post is out and I clean the inside of the frame out. Any suggestions on the bottom bracket replacement, or should I just use a "factory" replacement?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    take it to a welder.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Or get a machine shop to drill it out.

If the bottom bracket isn't trashed, pull it out, clean and grease all threads and reuse it.

Bottom brackets need to be mated to the type of crank you want to run. What sort of crank are you running (ie: square taper, ISIS, X-type), that will let us throw some suggestions.

It's no consolation, but I'd like to say that your cuts are remarkably clean and straight. Sorry, just wanted to offer some encouragement in this time of need. Been there done that with a quilled BMX stem that wouldn't come out of a fork steerer. The stem was a cheapo so I cut the head off, and after soaking it in various things, resorted to the "cut slots into it and curl it in on itself" method. When it finally gave way with a crack, this rusty smoke just poured out. It was really spooky.

Grumps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a Redline Monocog...-photo-2013-05-17-22.09-2.jpg  

Picked up a Redline Monocog...-photo-2013-05-17-22.11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Would try the caustic soda recommendation at this point.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm getting frustrated with it at this point, feels like I'm not making any progress... I picked up a six pack of my favorite brew the other night after work and was determined to get it out. Well after about an hour and a half and 6 beers later, I was just getting frustrated and hammering small screw drivers down the inside of the seat tube. No damage done really, but I did ding up the top tube with a rubber mallet strike that missed it's mark.

I have four new blades, with varying teeth per inch, and just need a good night to spend a few more hours making new clean cuts. It's just awkward with the height of the work bench and angle of attack, certainly wears out the upper arms in a hurry.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Spraying a heap of oven cleaner into the seatpost would be easier on the upper arms. And the top tube.

Grumps

mtbr member
    With it all mangled up the way it is you may want to try soaking in something like PB Blaster over night. Stuff works better than WD40 and now with everything moved around more of the penetrating lube may be able to get in there to loosen things up.
    Signature

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Or get a machine shop to drill it out.

If the bottom bracket isn't trashed, pull it out, clean and grease all threads and reuse it.

Bottom brackets need to be mated to the type of crank you want to run. What sort of crank are you running (ie: square taper, ISIS, X-type), that will let us throw some suggestions.

It's no consolation, but I'd like to say that your cuts are remarkably clean and straight. Sorry, just wanted to offer some encouragement in this time of need. Been there done that with a quilled BMX stem that wouldn't come out of a fork steerer. The stem was a cheapo so I cut the head off, and after soaking it in various things, resorted to the "cut slots into it and curl it in on itself" method. When it finally gave way with a crack, this rusty smoke just poured out. It was really spooky.

Grumps
    THis. Careful pounding on it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Spraying a heap of oven cleaner into the seatpost would be easier on the upper arms. And the top tube.

Grumps
    And this. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll give one more solid go at it with the hacksaw on Friday after work, trying my best to be patient with the process... I've been spraying it every day for two weeks or so with Liquid Wrench and WD40, probably should have been doing PB Blaster the whole time though haha

Thanks everyone, I'll update Friday or Saturday morning if I make some progress... Otherwise I'll start calling around the area for machine shops who may have some suggestions.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    I'll give one more solid go at it with the hacksaw on Friday after work, trying my best to be patient with the process... I've been spraying it every day for two weeks or so with Liquid Wrench and WD40, probably should have been doing PB Blaster the whole time though haha...
    Liquid wrench and WD are crap compared to PB Blaster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Update sxshep?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah sorry, forgot to update... Still stuck haha. I haven't really touched it, went fishing memorial day weekend and got food poisoning. I think I'll hack on it tonight, I know one of the cuts is all the way through on the top inch or so. The other four will probably require about 20 minutes of sawing each (if still necessary at that point).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'm stuck, time to start shopping for caustic soda and the necessary tools to pull the bottom bracket. Worked on it for two more hours... TWO MORE HOURS last night. Started driving a screw driver down and got all but about 1/2 an inch before it stopped peeling off. Shortly after I took this pic, I tried with a smaller screw driver and it got stuck, and after about thirty minute trying to get that out I'm just going to douse it in caustic soda. I can't get a hack saw in it anymore, and I've almost sawed through the frame in one spot.

I've easily spent 12 hours on this thing, 12 hours of solid sawing or prying on it. Should have just gone with caustic soda weeks ago.

Portable Audio Nerd,...
    Wow,...that thing looks destroyed!!! I'd have taken it to a metal shop and gotten a bit of help. All the hours you put into it already are more $$$ than it's worth IMO. You really have patience my friend.
    I ride to feel alive!!!

Moderator Moderator
    With where you have it: Machine Shop - Bridgeport and a few $$$ to get it milled out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast