mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Phil Wood kiss off singlespeed/disc mtb hubs

Can these be had in red? From the website for Phil Wood it claims that all of their hubs can be had in about 10 or 12 different colors. However, I can only find black and polished at the online stores. The only red ones are fixed track hubs. I am not man enough for that stuff. Anyone know where I might find these hubs in red?

mtbr member
    Sounds like it is a custom option and you would have to special order it. I would call their office or email their sales dept with that question

aka baycat
    I have seen them in Purple (disc) so guessing they are out there, and would be a bit of an up charge.

Linoleum Knife
    Call up Speedgoat - they can order you pretty much anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks fellas. Will follow up when I get the money.

mtbr member
    Misfit Cycles had some red ones a few years ago.

metrotuned WoS
    Larryo108:

Yes, PW ano red disc hubs can be ordered through your local bike shop and they will in turn order through Phil Wood out of San Jose, CA. Turnaround for my custom ano blue EBB was 5 weeks. For anodizing, better economics in doing a "batch" of parts for a single anodizing. If you catch PW on a red run, you will get yours earlier. Polish and black anodized seems to be the standard stocked parts. If youre going high end custom, may as well get the SLR option (cut out high flanges).

(hits head on desk) hub colors are featured on the Phil Wood website: http://www.philwood.com/pcolors.htm

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's what I was looking for. I don't know how I couldn't find that. Damn. 50 bucks a hub for the red. That's a lot of dough. May have to rethink this. Wish I could find a decent more affordably priced hub that meets my requirements.

mtbr member
    If red on a decent budget is what you're looking for, I would get these for even less money:
    Hope Pro II front
    Hope Pro II SS rear
    (order came to $290 total with their constant 15$ coupon)
    or here:
    Hope Pro II front
    Hope Pro II SS rear
    (order came to $228 total, delivered to the US)
    Obviously the Hope rear hub is a completely different type (cassette style). Also, while Hope has a good reputation, it isn't as high as classy old-school name Phil has established

But the Hope is more affordable (and lighter)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone know the amount of engagements o Phils

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo
    Anyone know the amount of engagements o Phils
    Kiss off hubs don't have engagement. You have to run a freewheel, or fixed. So, if fixed, 100% engagement, no slip at ALL ... ;-) WI freewheel is not as good as CK or I-9, but definitely good enough.
    ...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

mtbr member
    If you get a WI trials freewheel you have engagement on par with King.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well after looking at what I would have to pay to get the Phil's hubs the way I want and a WI Eno freewheel, I am at a cost higher than CK's. I am thinking now I may just go with CK's and be done with it.

I learned yesterday the value of a CK hub. I just converted my full suspension to disc brakes. Yesterday was it's maiden voyage. I went with an XT wheelset for now until I can reshell my CK's. The slack in that wheelset is absolutely sickening. Can't wait to ge my king's reshelled and rebuilt.

metrotuned WoS
    Whichever method you choose, you may want to go with a lightly used wheelset over new, especially if you get a fat deal =) Case in point, if you can get a complete Salsa Delgado Phil Wood single speed 100/135 wheelset for less than the price of a single front Chris King hub! This one turned up on ebay just now and is going for a pretty penny: 260380345387

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout