mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Phil Wood freewheel vs. Hadley Cassette - Help

I would appreciate some input from the SSers out there.

I am building a SS bike and need advice on whether I should use a Hadley cassette SS hub or a Phil Wood KISS OFF hub; both would be with disc brakes, and fully rigid (not that that matters). Both fairly different, but would love some input.

Thanks.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

For the sake of future versatility and resale, I recommend you use a hub which can accommodate gears. That said, one of the advantages of using a singlespeed specific hub is that the wheel can be built with no dish, meaning, all things being equal, that makes for a stronger wheel.

Given your choice, Phil Wood or Hadley, ya can't go wrong with either as they're both Kosher for hucking.

For more information, try doing a search for "Hucking Kitty" as he'll point you in the right direction.

Schipperkes are cool.
    DT Swiss 240 add RWS thrubolt and the faster engaging pawls.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    I vote Phil Wood with a White Ind 18t trials F/W.
    very dependable hubs and standard tools are needed to rebuild if the bearings ever go out on you. hadley needs special tools to service
    BUT if you switch gears all the time, the hadley cassette will be better
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    I have a Phil Wood hub with White Industries freewheel. They came on a Karate Monkey I purchased used. I've got several hundred miles on the bike so far and have not had any issues. I like the way the freewheel and hub look. It feels very solid when putting power to the pedals. The only downside I can see is that it makes adjusting your chainline a little more difficult.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I vote Phil Wood with a White Ind 18t trials F/W.
    very dependable hubs and standard tools are needed to rebuild if the bearings ever go out on you. hadley needs special tools to service
    BUT if you switch gears all the time, the hadley cassette will be better
    The only tools they require to service are a pin spanner, and 21mm or adjustable wrenches. The wrench flats are wide and open on one side, so they would accommodate a typical open ended wrench or even a large Crescent wrench. Pin spanners are available from Park Tool and probably elsewhere, and are at most bike shops with an actual selection of tools.

Also they will provide all the tools required to service them (as well as new seals and freewheel lube) free of charge if you call them up (at least they did for me.)

As far as the OP, I imagine the Hadley is the cheaper option, especially if you're looking at the Trials FW, but I think you'd be happy either way. Let us know what you choose.
    Last edited by ShadowsCast; 08-20-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Phil Wood / WI Freewheel for SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The answer is...

Thanks all for the input!

I'm going with the Phil Wood and White FW. I believe both the PW and Hadley are stellar and although the Hadley might be "easier", I want to try a freewheel rather than a cassette and I must admit, I don't think that there's a cooler looking hub around than the polished PW.

Also, my homework tells me that the PW bearings are the best around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    The only tools they require to service are a pin spanner, and 21mm or adjustable wrenches. The wrench flats are wide and open on one side, so they would accommodate a typical open ended wrench or even a large Crescent wrench. Pin spanners are available from Park Tool and probably elsewhere, and are at most bike shops with an actual selection of tools.

Also they will provide all the tools required to service them (as well as new seals and freewheel lube) free of charge if you call them up (at least they did for me.)
    I haven't looked at a current hadley in awhile, all I know is the last time I needed to adjust a hub none of the Park pin spanners would fit. But that was also 150mm DH hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Last I heard it was the "red" Park pin spanner, but I don't know myself because as I mentioned I got the tools direct. That said Park makes an adjustable pin spanner that would certainly work for that and whatever else.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by azultoyou
    Thanks all for the input!

I'm going with the Phil Wood and White FW. I believe both the PW and Hadley are stellar and although the Hadley might be "easier", I want to try a freewheel rather than a cassette and I must admit, I don't think that there's a cooler looking hub around than the polished PW.

Also, my homework tells me that the PW bearings are the best around.
    One more thing to consider, do you race?
    If you don't race, you can probably get by with a WI freewheel for riding your favorite trails, and a less expensive (Shimano MX, ACS Klaws) for an alternative gearing.
    If you race you might want more choices. I've raced 53", 52", 49", 47" and 44" gears this year (probably could have used a 54.5" too) due to varying terrain throughout the NE. All those freewheels would add up.

Back on the wagon
    I've been beating the crap out of a Hadley SS hub for 3+ seasons now - no problems what so ever. I would buy one again in a second, but I don't think I'll be able to because I can't seem to kill this one. I've broken two frames while riding this hub
    RIDE HARD, live easy.