Thread: Pf30

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Pf30

I'm looking into getting a SS 29er. Should I go with PF30 with Beer Components BB or go with sliding dropouts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have never tried BC EBB, but heard good things. I would say that if the particular geometry wasn't available with the current line up of SS-specific frames, then maybe the PF30'ed frame would be a good option. However, for me, I would just go for a SS-specific frame from the get-go, especially if you're leaning towards an EBB set up.

Personally, my preferred tensioning method is EBB. I have tried them all, but for the ease of use, cleaner look and the ability to "change" the BB height, I like the EBB. But you have to get a quality frame with a manufacturer that gets the BB dimensions exactly right. If not, you will be plagued with creaking and slipping.

I've also had good luck with sliding/swing dropouts. I wouldn't have second thoughts about going with sliding drops or trackends for that matter, if that's what comes on a frame that I really like.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a pf30 on my raleigh furley sscx bike. Its not the beer components eccentric but its got to be close. It works good easy to adjust no problems so far.

What day are we riding?
    Either way - go with the bike that fits you best. Currently have swinging drops on one bike and the Beer PF30 eccentric on the other.

mtbr member
    In my experience EBBs seem to be hit or miss. Some people never have an issue, some people have nothing but issues with them. It's hard to say. The idea of a frame with chain tensioners is not a bad idea. The main fault with these though is that sometimes the tensioner bolts bend if put under too much stress. BUT! They can also be easily replaced. Not so much with an EBB. I think sliding drop-outs is the way to go. Their simplicity makes them durable and very easy to use. I havn't heard anything bad about them yet. I have them on my stumpjumper single speed 29 and I love it. Like Rockin said, I'd go with the bike that fits you, your budget, and style of riding the best. Just type "Single Speed 29er" into google, and look at the options that pop up in there. My first MTB was a GT Peace 9er and I still friggin love that bike to this day. The thing can take a serious beating. Not the lightest bike on the market but it can really get the job done and GREAT price to boot. I am partial to steel and carbon frames tho. Just don't like the feel of aluminum.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I like sliders for chainstay length control and keeping front center and BB to saddle the same....other prefer EBB for the opposite reasons. My paragon sliders have ben reliable...can't comment on other methods.