mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Pedal for rigid SS

Picked up a rigid ss at a yard sale.

I usually ride flats on my full sus bike.

Wondering if the lack of any suspension changes pedal choice?

Do rigid ss riders use clipless for more power up hills or stay with flats since lack of suspension means more time out of saddle and requires that I be the suspension?

Or is it just personal preference like other setups?

Dive Bomber
    I use flats with toe clip

Rigid more bumpy so yes you need more grip, and you don't need power for uphill all you need is momentum.

mtbr member
    Ride what you're comfortable with. Rigid and SS are not a factor for pedals. If you would ride platforms on a gear FS, then you will feel right at home with them on a rigid SS.

I personally ride clipless and enjoy the benefit of pull on the upstroke as well as not getting bumped off the pedals in the bumpy stuff. But, i would ride clipless on gears and FS as well for exactly the same reasons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use Eggbeaters. But I ride clipless on all my bikes. Mostly XC stuff, but could not imagine not riding clipless. Just helps to have the added ability to "pull" through the tough sections.
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by spivey44 View Post
    I usually ride flats on my full sus bike.
    Try that on the rigid bike. If you find serious down sides, then try clipless.

I've got used to clipless, and like the extra boost that is there for getting up some steeper spots - and the stability on rock/root washboards.
    (I suppose my flat pedal technique is rusty from neglect)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    These threads might help. Lots of opinions for both. Bottom line, its a preference so you need to try both yourself and decide what works for you and your riding style.

best platforms for singlespeeding?

Flat pedals & single speed ?

Shoes for riding platforms

Who here runs platforms on their SS'

The perfessor
    and then there's the hybrid; I ride a Crank Bros. Mallet 3 pedal.......sometimes I'm in, sometimes I'm out, but I always can turn the crank........if something stops me going up hill, I find it nicer to have a platform to get going again......
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

Just Ride
    Another vote for clipless, but I've been riding clipless for over a year now and don't see myself ever going back. But as others have said, ride what your comfortable with. You can still be the suspension while riding clipped in.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used eggbeaters for about 3-4 years which are very nice but now I like to ride flats. It really is just a matter of rider preference. If you do go with flats just make sure you have long pins and steal shins.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Flats. You will be out of the saddle more using your glutes and quads for power, plus you will be more stable on your feet.

Quick edit: Perfect Pedal Stroke: Cycling Training Tips | Bicycling Magazine Food for thought.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

Mulleticious
    I find on my Ti SS rigid, the feedback through the pedals means my feet get shaken off quite often, so clipless is essential.

It's not an issue on my 853 steel SS rigid though as that seems to absorb the feedback a lot more. (people would say it's more compliant)

So I guess it also depends on your frame material.