habitual line-stepper

peace 9r vs. monocog

as my addiction to mtb'ing worsens, i find myself in need of a new fix. i'm looking at a 19" monocog and a large peace 9r. the geo specs are almost identical, but the specs are where there are bigger differences, particularly in how each bike maintains chain tension. i've read the mtbr reviews and both seem like good purchases, so what are the glaring pro's/con's that the SS 29er newbie is missing here between these two? thanks!

mtbr member
    As far as chain tension it comes down to preference. If you prefer horizontal drop outs get the monocog. If you prefer the ebb get the GT. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with either. One thing to note is that the GT is not suspension corrected, so you won't be able to add a suspension fork without changing the way the bike steers. But no big deal if you plan on running rigid (and you should!). Ride them both and buy the one you like the best.

habitual line-stepper
    the thing is that i don't have any experience with ebb's or sliders, so my bias is based on those with more experience than myself. i plan on using either as a winter bike/trainer and keeping it rigid. i'd like to do a comparo, but i'm having a tough time finding dealers in my area with them in stock. i appreciate the response!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The 09' Peace uses track ends like the Cog as well. I got my 09' cog for 430 out the door and the lowest I've seen the Peace is 700 with a 15% off discount, so it really comes down to how much you want to spend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I love my Peace 9er...I havent ridden the Monocog so I cant comment on it but I do want to correct an earlier post and mention that the Peace is actually suspension corrected for an 80mm fork, says so on the seatube sticker...

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    The 09' Peace uses track ends like the Cog as well. I got my 09' cog for 430 out the door and the lowest I've seen the Peace is 700 with a 15% off discount, so it really comes down to how much you want to spend.
    $430? wow, are you in WA state by any chance? most of the dealers here don't have any in stock and are quoting msrp, since they'd have to order it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai
    $430? wow, are you in WA state by any chance? most of the dealers here don't have any in stock and are quoting msrp, since they'd have to order it.
    Just keep your eyes open for a good deal. I picked up a brand new '08 MC29er from a guy locally for $275. Plus he had replaced the stock brakes with some Avid BBDBs (BB7s). The deals are out there if you can be patient.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in SoCal, and like I mentioned before the GT has track ends for 09'. I was in your shoes deciding between the GT and the Cog until I rode the GT then rode the Cog and the over $200 in price difference couldn't be justified so I went with the Redline.

mtbr member
    I have not been on a GT, but I was in the same boat you were in, just two weeks ago. I went with the Monocog. It was my fourth bike, and I dare say it is the bike I have most fun on. I was really surprised. I did put on a new seat, grips, and disc brakes that I had though, so it isn't totally stock. I also changed the gearing for the riding I do. Solid bike . . . so much so I sold one of my other bikes and ride this one more than my FS now. I didn't think I would like rigid, but it is awesome. I won't be going to a suspension fork. Too much fun.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

habitual line-stepper
    bah! all these positive reviews make it hard to be patient! trust me, i've been all over ebay and craigslist lookin' for a deal to scoop up. if it weren't 100+ degrees here in WA, i'd be out riding after work, thinking of life on 29" wheels. again, i appreciate all the advice

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    As you say, they are very similar bikes. If you're planning to keep it rigid (as you should), just buy whichever you can get a deal on. Just make sure it's the right size. As long as the bike fits you it'll be fun to ride, and for that reason you'll love it. The minor differences in specs aren't as important as they seem on paper (IMO).
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte