College
    Jun 2004

pc1 chain and power link (snapping one)

So i bought a pc1 chain not knowing it didn't come with a power link, but i pretty much need one so i can switch up my chains. Will the power link fit this chain ????

Steamroller

PC-1 and PC-7X master links

Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    So i bought a pc1 chain not knowing it didn't come with a power link, but i pretty much need one so i can switch up my chains. Will the power link fit this chain ????
    As you probably know they come with a different master link which is plenty strong but not as convienient as a powerlink. They are 1/8 chains and all the powerlinks, connex or missing links I've seen are for 3/32 chains. They even have different ones for 7,8,9 and 10 speed, but i've never seen one for single speed 1/8 chains. You can however get replacement master links that have the grooved pins and little slide on retainer clip, but they are not nearly as convienient( see my photo from Dan's Comp). There could be a powerlink in 1/8 but it is not on any of my usual web or catalog resources.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

College
    Jun 2004
    AAwwwww... i guess i just have to pay for being an idiot. I was playing with it for a while and it's getting easier to put on and off, so i think it won't be too bad.

Cyclist
    All the PC-1s I buy come with a master link. You got jipped.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Here's an idea: assuming you have the master link for your PC1 chain, try connecting your chain without it but carry the master link with you on rides. If your chain does break while you're out on a ride, you'll have the master link to replace your broken link. Maybe. I've not considered all scenarios but this maybe help in a pinch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

different type of master link

Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I also just got a pc1 chain and the master link it comes with is different then the power link that comes with the 8-9 speed chains. I couldn't get the different master link together so I just put it on without a master link.
    I just replaced a kmc chain that had a master link like the picture in another link and had a unfortunate master link failure. The side plates, on the master link clip side had become seperated from being flush with the pin, and this caused the chain to derail off the FW and cause me to crash on gravel and scrape my knee and put a decent size of a quarter or slightly bigger hole in my elbow, and walking the bike the 3 miles or so home wasn't fun at all.

Steamroller

Here's a scenario

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Here's an idea: assuming you have the master link for your PC1 chain, try connecting your chain without it but carry the master link with you on rides. If your chain does break while you're out on a ride, you'll have the master link to replace your broken link. Maybe. I've not considered all scenarios but this maybe help in a pinch.
    Most chains are compromised if a link has been pushed out and back in, that's why you have master links. Shimano uses replacement pins to replace the pin that has been pushed out and that's OK too. On most other chains you will be asking for a crash, a long walk or, at least a trailside inconvenience if you join a chain using a used pin.

That said if your chain breaks on a ride do what you need to to get home, then replace the chain.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I also just got a pc1 chain and the master link it comes with is different then the power link that comes with the 8-9 speed chains. I couldn't get the different master link together so I just put it on without a master link.
    I just replaced a kmc chain that had a master link like the picture in another link and had a unfortunate master link failure. The side plates, on the master link clip side had become seperated from being flush with the pin, and this caused the chain to derail off the FW and cause me to crash on gravel and scrape my knee and put a decent size of a quarter or slightly bigger hole in my elbow, and walking the bike the 3 miles or so home wasn't fun at all.
    ouch.... yeah im a chain replacer. I have bought 3 chains already and haven't even been riding forr a year yet. I like new chains, they just look cleaner . And about the link, it's pretty easy tot install after you read the instructions, i got it on in a few seconds, so this chain isnn't so bad...not as bad as i thought it'd be. It's definitely stronger from the increased thickess.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Just carry another master link...