mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Paul/Melvin or WI Ecc ENO, FC EBB?

In terms of pure reliability, durability, set up/service friendly which would you fellas suggest for a frame with vertical drop outs?

For the weightweenie in me...which offers the lightest component drivetrain system (sans rims/spokes/QR etc).

Thanks!
    Last edited by verrocchio100; 10-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If possible, FC EBB, with the Eno coming in second. When set up properly, you can just forget about the FC EBB, and it's very nice being able to use a QR in the rear. The Eno is just as trouble free, but chain tension needs to be set every time the wheel is removed, which can be a bit of a pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks bad mechanic....totally forgot about the FC EBB...

I'll edit my OP....

Okay, just to tease the weightweenie in me...which will offer the overall lightest drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100
    Okay, just to tease the weightweenie in me...which will offer the overall lightest drivetrain?
    Assuming you're willing to pair it with a light rear hub (DT Swiss 240, Paul Word), the FC EBB will give you the lightest drivetrain, though it will be just a little lighter than the Eno.

mtbr member
    Phil Wood Philcentric. They just released a EBB for a standard OBB crankset and conventional shell. Photos soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer
    Phil Wood Philcentric. They just released a EBB for a standard OBB crankset and conventional shell. Photos soon.
    This excites me. I just talked to them, and it looks like it'll weigh about 225g, which will be competitive with the FC ECC and Exzentriker. It's also going to be indexed at every 15 degrees; I'm curious how they'll keep the two cups indexed to each other, or if they figure 7.5 degrees of offset is acceptable.

I haven't found pictures anywhere, and I'm really dieing to see them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I prefer a normal frame with a tensioner. Soul craft, paul melvin or DMR, not Surly.

It is the easiest, the lightest, and you can use a QR, no need to adjust disc brakes, and it is easy to change gearing as you either have extra chain or you can adjust the tensioner to account for extra chain.

Oh yeah it is by far the cheapest.

mtbr member
    very interested in seeing this too.

my 2 cents: I've used the WI eccentric hub and have no complaints. just a couple things to consider: it can raise/lower BB height slightly based on where you set the hub. and you have to get an eccentric adapter for disc brake caliper if you're using discs. and that has to be set too so there's another thing to initially set up. there may be interference with seat-stay depending on frame. as mentioned above you have to readjust tension each time rear wheel removed. if i had to do over again i'd go with the FC EBB or wait for philcentric. though it's hard to argue with a tensioner because of cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm...bicycles
    It is the easiest, the lightest, and you can use a QR, no need to adjust disc brakes, and it is easy to change gearing as you either have extra chain or you can adjust the tensioner to account for extra chain.
    The FC EBB is no heavier than a bolt on tensioner, and afteer installation it is easier since you don't have a tensioner to fool with when removing the rear wheel. The only place it loses is cost, but it does look better.

aka baycat

mtbr member
    I'll post photos when it gets in. I had to order it from my shop and they had to order a special tool to align it.

Rockstar
    I'll post photos when it gets in. I had to order it from my shop and they had to order a special tool to align it.
    Do you mind if I ask what you paid for it, including the necessary tools?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardcomponents
    Do you mind if I ask what you paid for it, including the necessary tools?
    You're back!

How's business?