Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Paragon Slider Upgrade - Post Mounts!

After hemming and hawing for a few months, I took the pludge and ordered a post mount slider to replace the IS mount slider that came with my fancy Quiring singlespeed several years ago. I also got the new ti bolt kit with the two-hole washer, the combination head bolts and the brass thumb nuts.

Short story; this stuff is great! I've always had little issues with the old buttonhead bolts. They round out and/or don't stay tight. And the old adjusting screws and locknuts would wear out as well. The parts in the new kits are very nice and as a bonus, they all use allen keys! I can get rid of that 6mm box wrench.

Anyway, if you have been thinking about upgrading to the post mount slider and the ti bolt kit consider this a note of encouragement to go ahead and do it. You won't be disappointed.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu View Post
    After hemming and hawing for a few months, I took the pludge and ordered a post mount slider to replace the IS mount slider that came with my fancy Quiring singlespeed several years ago. I also got the new ti bolt kit with the two-hole washer, the combination head bolts and the brass thumb nuts.

Short story; this stuff is great! I've always had little issues with the old buttonhead bolts. They round out and/or don't stay tight. And the old adjusting screws and locknuts would wear out as well. The parts in the new kits are very nice and as a bonus, they all use allen keys! I can get rid of that 6mm box wrench.

Anyway, if you have been thinking about upgrading to the post mount slider and the ti bolt kit consider this a note of encouragement to go ahead and do it. You won't be disappointed.

Joe
    Mine will be here next Wednesday. Sure, I don't have the bike yet, but the post mount and hardware will be fun to play with. I went ahead and ordered the black anno.

I did get my 12 point 10mm socket today. Not so much fun to play with, but I made a nice storage hole in my digital torque wrench case.

BTW: pics or it didn't happen.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Just hit it with speed
    Seriously considering one of these.

If you get a black dropout on the left won't you have the non-anodized one of the right?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got all the same stuff a couple months ago, absolutely worth the upgrade price. Do it!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    Seriously considering one of these.

If you get a black dropout on the left won't you have the non-anodized one of the right?
    I bought the set.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Pictures, per your request.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Mine will be here next Wednesday. Sure, I don't have the bike yet, but the post mount and hardware will be fun to play with. I went ahead and ordered the black anno.

I did get my 12 point 10mm socket today. Not so much fun to play with, but I made a nice storage hole in my digital torque wrench case.

BTW: pics or it didn't happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    --
    Joe Partridge

Category Winner
    Pictures, per your request.
    You're not using the double hole washer do-dad?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Gotta use the Monkey nuts.
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Indy Fab Deluxe
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    1988 Ritchey Ascent
    1994 Bontrager
    1995 Stumpjumper

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er View Post
    Gotta use the Monkey nuts.
    Huh...

I was talking about the two hole washers.

I don't see them in Joe's post mount post.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Just hit it with speed
    I have two frames, both from the same builder, both with paragon sliders.

One frame has the "two-hole" do-dad w/ button head ss bolts the other does not with older cheaper steel bolts (non-stainless but with huge heads).

The one w/o the do-dads hold better. It may be because of the button head bolts don't allow me to get the wrench in deep, but the cheaper (heavier) bolts I can tighten the hell out of, so maybe that is the reason they hold better.

I love sliders......love.......but they have slid on occasion. Still wouldn't go back to anything else.

Anyone have a picture of the sliders in black?

I saw a photo on your blog dick but I couldn't tell if it was a crappy image of a silver one or it was in fact black.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    I saw a photo on your blog dick but I couldn't tell if it was a crappy image of a silver one or it was in fact black.
    I photoshopped (quite terribly) a silver one.

I'll have my black ones on Wednesday. I'll post up a photo sans bike when I get 'em.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's hard to see with the crappy iphone pics, but the double-hole washer is in use.

Joe

--
    Joe Partridge

Category Winner
    It's hard to see with the crappy iphone pics, but the double-hole washer is in use.

Joe

I should have requested better pictures.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I should buy a camera...

I should have requested better pictures.
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    did you happen to weigh the (post mount slider) and compare it to the (IS mount slider + bracket)?

Category Winner
    Got mine. No bike to put them on, but whatever.

It will be mine soon enough.

The By:Stickel cometh.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Weight on the postal scale at work (only accurate to 10 grams)...

110 grams.

That's without hardware.

So now one of you needs to pull off your old mounts, keep the brake mount bolted on, and toss it on a scale.

Like now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Weight on the postal scale at work (only accurate to 10 grams)...

110 grams.

That's without hardware.

So now one of you needs to pull off your old mounts, keep the brake mount bolted on, and toss it on a scale.

Like now.
    Doh, we have a better scale in the other corner.

107 grams for real.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Just hit it with speed
    I actually did exactly that when I first saw the sliders on the Waltworks blog. Talk about feeling like a huge loser. After getting a scale I weigh nearly everything.....

I don't have the actual numbers handy, but I think the post mounts were a savings of about 23-25 grams with an Avid adapter for a 160mm rotor and the steel bolts from Elixirs.

Category Winner
    Any of you fools ever swap out the tensioning bolt to ti or even *gasp* aluminum?

Seems like it wouldn't matter. It's just there to set the tension and that's about it. Once those big bolts are honked down, you just wanna make sure it's tight enough that it doesn't rattle out.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow man, nice work on the chainstays at the BB. Looking forward to seeing that build up.

mtbr member

Went Ti...

I went Ti on my Eriksen for the slider adjusting bolts. I didn't figure that Aluminum would hold up very well if it were to come down to holding the drop out in tensioned. I also had STB Coatings ceramic coat my sliders. I know it is nerdy, but I didn't dig the plain silver. Anodized is cool, but ceramic has a natural lubricity (and especially with ti) makes it so I don't have to run any kind of anti-seize/grease to prevent any creaking. That also gets rid of the chance of getting any pad contamination from anything else.

Another bonus the coating added was making the sliders fit very snug. I have seen some issues with certain slider cut outs getting "wallowed" out from a loose fit. I just took some scotch brite pad to mine til they slid in snug, and then called it good. They still slide super smoothly when adjusted. Great upgrade along with the 12 point ti hardware.

mtbr member
    Pardon my ignorance but is there any benefit to the ti bolt kit over steel besides weight?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but is there any benefit to the ti bolt kit over steel besides weight?
    Other than weight, you can tighten the ti hardware with 10% more torque according to Paragon Machine Works.

From PMW:

"Do you have any recommended torque values for your insert bolts?

The official torque specifications for our M8 x 18 steel bolts are 24 to 26 N-m, 2.4 to 2.6
    Kg-m, or 17 to 19 foot pounds. A word of caution: unless you have a brand new 5
    mm wrench, at the upper range of these values there is a possibility of rounding out the
    socket head on a steel bolt. This isn't the case with our titanium bolts which can be
    torqued at least ten percent more than the above values."

Also from PMW:

"The bolts for my sliding dropout are rounding out slightly. Is it worth upgrading
    to your newer bolt kits such as MS0020, MS0021, MS0022, MS0023 (titanium), or
    MS2006 (steel)?

We feel the upgrade is worth it. When we introduced these kits we used stainless steel
    bolts for corrosion resistance. It turns out that the those bolts were fairly soft and
    resulted in rounded out hexagons. The steel bolt kit (MS2006) includes zinc plated
    steel bolts. Although they're not as pretty as the stainless steel, they're much more
    durable. For titanium (MS0020, MS0021, MS0022, MS0023), we manufacture the bolts
    ourselves. We offer two different kinds of titanium bolts: a 6 mm combination bolt
    (MS0020, MS0021) and a 5 mm hexagon button head bolt (MS0022, MS0023). The
    hexagons in these bolts are deeper, manufactured to a closer tolerance, and are lighter
    and nicer looking than the steel bolt. Both bolt kits include some other nice features.
    The 5 mm adjusting screw is now an Allen head so you can use a hex key on it. We
    include hex locknuts and brass thumb nuts for tool-free tightening (some riders prefer
    one over the other so we include both). Additionally, we include two 304 stainless steel
    double washer for the 8 mm bolts; they spread the load from the bolts over a larger
    area, hold the parts together better and keep your frame from getting damaged from
    repeated tightening and loosening of the bolts."

And from my blog:

"The ti combination hardware was bought with a specific purpose in mind. I'll always set it up at home using my Topeak digital torque wrench set at 27nm and a 10mm 12 point socket. That will preserve the integrity of the 6mm allen heads for field adjustments."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice and clean... just what I wanted! (also saved 21 grams)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paragon Slider Upgrade - Post Mounts!-mtbr-postmount.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast