Recovering Weight Weenie

Padre's Saturday Ride

Sunday was to be a big training ride, but Saturday was such a beautiful day, the wife and I just couldn't stay at home. Instead, we headed out for a local 12 mile loop on the coast. Hmmmm....SoCal in winter....tasty!

I decided to try out my riding shoes that are normally reserved for DH duty. Wow! Stiff! And the ankle protection is sweet too! A tad heavy, but awesome. (Adidas Hematoma)

As always, this trail is steeper than it looks. This pic helps show that.

Baby heads, Toddler ruts, Teenage boulders...its all there..

Rigid plushness.

...and Catalina Island in the distance...can you see it?

pepito
    Jun 2004
    beautiful pictures. looks like a nice ride. i only wish the weather was half as nice around here. (six inches of snow last night and a waking temperature of 2' F this AM )

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Nice pics. No wonder you're anti-rigid. If your trails are consistently bumpy like that downhill chute, squish looks like the way to go.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

El Morro?

Clear and probably 75-80║ this past weekend! That trail looks like Rattlesnake to me. Anyways, cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pho'dUp
    Clear and probably 75-80 this past weekend! That trail looks like Rattlesnake to me. Anyways, cool pics, thanks for sharing.
    You are right on all accounts.

hispanic mechanic

Huh?!?

I thought you were completely against rigid forks. Good to see that you at least give them a shot... any change in preference?

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Nice shots! It sure was an incredible weekend in SoCal!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    I thought you were completely against rigid forks. Good to see that you at least give them a shot... any change in preference?
    the los
    No change in preference.
    I went to ride one day about 6 weeks back and my Marzocchi felt like it needed some air. I added it, cycled the fork, and it burped some oil out the cap. Not having the time to trouble shoot, I threw on the rigid and haven't gotten around to investigating.
    Bottom line is this... for short, under 15 mile rides where dh speed is not a concern, rigid can be super fun. If I want to go fast, no way. If I want to ride a long way, no way.
    Yesterday's ride was 30 miles over 5+ hours. By hour 3 I was HATING the rigid fork. By hour 5 on the 7 miles descent, hate had turned to loathe.
    In fact, last night I actually had a dream I was ordering a WB .8 for it. How disturbing is that! Dreaming about bike parts.
    The rigid is fun, it it's place. But for serious riding, I've got to find some cush. WB, Reba, whatever, bring it on.

On another note, you planning on doing the Vision Quest? Rumor has it, that if anyone can do it fixed, you have a great shot at it!

hispanic mechanic

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    On another note, you planning on doing the Vision Quest? Rumor has it, that if anyone can do it fixed, you have a great shot at it!
    I dunno if I'd say that I have a great shot at doing well, but I'd say there's a good shot I'm dumb enough to try!
    Sounds like a fun event, and I'd look forward to putting some faces to these handles! So I'm gonna try and do it- in fact, I probably won't do Old Pueblo so that I can afford it.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Sunday was to be a big training ride, but Saturday was such a beautiful day, the wife and I just couldn't stay at home. Instead, we headed out for a local 12 mile loop on the coast. Hmmmm....SoCal in winter....tasty!

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Now I have to go ride. The picture above looks like the end of a tough climb, one more rotation ...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Excellent, thanks for sharing. Now I have to go ride. The picture above looks like the end of a tough climb, one more rotation ...
    Hehe..actually...it's about 25 yards from the top...then it flattens for about 10 yards..than gains about 25' elevation faster than you can switch gears. These are some of the reasons most socalers dont' run 2 to 1 gearing. You'd end up walking...like the Norcalers at Sea Otter.... (just teasin'!)

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Nice pics. No wonder you're anti-rigid. If your trails are consistently bumpy like that downhill chute, squish looks like the way to go.
    Yeah, most of our downhill sections are like that or are filled with brake bumps. Brake bumps are the worst!!! Yesterday's 30 mile ride almost killed me. At about mile 20 I lost the ability (almost) to maintain a grip on the bars. Whew. Ouch.