mtbr member
    Jul 2008

P2 to SS - what to upgrade?

Hey there,

Ive got a 04 specialized p2, and im looking to change it to single speed.

Now, im completely confused. I know i need one of the simple kits for the rear... do i need a new rear hub?
    I was considering upgrading to some azonic outlaws, does this change anything i need to go SS?
    Also a crankset....? Just use what i have now, minus a ring? or buy a new single ring setup?
    I can handle removing links from the chain, and i know my bike has horizontal dropouts so i dont need a tensioner.
    I searched around a bit as im sure you get this question all the time. but im still confused as ever.

Thanks for the help!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Most kits should fit on your current hub if it's the normal shimano style and you just put spacers around the single cog to adjust the chainline. Takes a bit of trial and error but easy to get it right once you take the cassette off.

Not sure which crankset you have but for my first attempt I had a 3 ring crank so I took of the biggest and smallest rings and just got short bolts for the middle ring which I left on.

Horizontal dropouts will make it easier as you can just remove enough links from the chain to get good tension and then adjust it as it stretches, only catch is whether your disc brake mounts have room to moved with the wheel as you move it along, I'm assuming they do. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yes it is a shimano 8 speed. I was looking at how to take it off...and came up blank. Are those special tools from places like park tool essential to removing it? or can it be done with normal tools?

Also, when i was messing around the cassett, a bunch of ball bearings fell out.... thats ok because im removing the cassett, right? or did something horrible happen?

Meh.
    No. The bearings are not supposed to come out. You need a lockring tool and a chain whip.

Take it to a bike shop. You'll need to have your hub repacked and adjusted now.

one chain loop
    learning from bad experience is always good. both of the replies pretty much said it all.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    well dang,

logic would tell me i only need to take the rear wheel in.

Is this a logical situation?

one chain loop
    since you mentioned park tools, here's the correct way to remove a cassette.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Teen Wolf
    i did my 04 p2 a couple years ago. kit for the back wheel is all i did. i had a single chainring in the front. i did change the front chainring out though. my backwheel is trashed though so i'm going to be getting a singlespeed wheel for it this spring and won't need a "kit"