mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Other makers of WI or Middleburn splined chainrings?

I need a 34T spiderless chainring for a singlespeed bike, with a spline to match either WI or Middleburn crank arms.
    WI's are gorgeous, but past reviews are unfavorable. Middleburn's are rated well, but their design is not my cup of tea. Homebrewed Components makes chainrings for both of these manufacturer's splines, and their products are great, but they are presently in a "difficult situation" from what I gather. Boone is like unobtainium...

Any others? If I had to go with a 5 bolt spider, are there any 94 BCD chainrings out there made of titanium?

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've used the WI cranks and WI chainring with no issues whatsoever, and in my experience, the chainrings have a similar lifespan to other chainrings I've used. I wouldn't hesitate to use WI products in the future.

You didn't ask, but I also use the Sram X9 spiderless crankset with a MRP chainring on a 1x9 and a Sram/HBC chainring set-up on a SS. No problems with these either.

Never used the Middleburn stuff, but it does look good.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

one chain loop
    try this one and let me know. i am shopping for a nice chainring as well..

.:: Carbon-Ti - Hi Tech Bicycle Components ::.

i am eyeing this one as well, aluminum rings but something different..

Goldtec DH Chainrings : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the heads up, guys...

As much as I'd prefer a spiderless chainring, the Carbon Ti looks like an attractive alternative. I can go that route, or look for a used HBC chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    BTW, it was these reviews that made me wary about WI along with some other threads:

White Industries Chainrings Chainring Reviews

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drdan View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, guys...

As much as I'd prefer a spiderless chainring, the Carbon Ti looks like an attractive alternative. I can go that route, or look for a used HBC chainring.
    Carbon Ti actually does make titanium spiderless rings, but only for SRAM, Specialized, & Cannondale. Maybe you can convince them to make others! I am waiting for an SRAM version and will post up with my thoughts when I get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, Bikeny; it's worth a try...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I've used the WI cranks and WI chainring with no issues whatsoever, and in my experience, the chainrings have a similar lifespan to other chainrings I've used. I wouldn't hesitate to use WI products in the future.
    The link I supplied for the MTBR reviews were for products made in Japan, not currently made products. I contacted WI about their cranksets, and in all fairness, here's their response:

Thank you for your inquiry. I went on the review site and see that the reviews are not for the ENO cranks. The reviews are for a crank we had Sugino make for us for bicycle manufactures who were manufacturing bikes in Japan as it was easier for them not to export our products overseas and then re-import them again. All that being said, it was a mistake for us have another company do some of the manufacturing for us. The cranks and rings that the individuals were reviewing were made in 1997/1998 and are a completely different product than the ENO or the VBC arms we manufacture today.

Best regards,

Lynette

Looks like WI is back in the game, which is good news!

mtbr member
    Old thread, but I thought I'd add that I'm pretty happy with my WI eno crankset and the WI VBC crankset, which is their 2x crankset.
    They just came out with a sram xx1 spider for their crankset. I wish they did a 1x or "wide-narrow" chainring instead, or just offer different spiders.

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012

Warhawk Industries