Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: OT - help

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    OT - help

    What to do? I trust you guys with your advice, I need to know what to do…

    So two weeks ago, I confronted the VP of Sales and Marketing after a heated discussion regarding the production of our catalog…to make a long story short, she’s not a leader. I know what a leader is. A leader treats her employees with respect, and gets under the skin with a positive attitude, not attitudes that will make someone start looking for another job…

    Anyway, this is what happened. My wife, Sarah, works for us part time since she’s a graphic designer and we needed the help. The VP of Sales and Marketing pulled off a most idiotic act. She emailed Sarah a contractor’s time sheet (the contractor’s name is Steve and works off site) to use as a guide. Keep in mind though, that my Sarah is a professional graphic designer, and she’s more than smart enough to make her own, understandable time sheet.

    Sarah sent me an instant message saying: I didn’t know Steve made $20/hr?
    Me: how do you know?
    Sarah; Shawn sent me his time sheet…

    So she broke a rule of HR, gets paid twice what I make, and just sucks at everything.

    I confronted her about the time sheet…she claims it was a fluke.
    Shawn: but I saved the email, then I forwarded it to her!
    me: Shawn, it doesn't matter, you broke a rule of HR.
    Shawn: how's it possible that she can see what Steve makes?
    me: its in the excel sheet, Shawn. You forwarded an email to her.

    She knows nothing about computers and didn’t even know where her jump drive that the company got her went. AAAA!!!!!

    I have very low morale right now. I feel like I am working for free. I bust my ass every day for a meager rations…

    Help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    tough one

    Sounds like Steve does the same work that you do?
    Shawn made a mistake, that deserves a repramand(sp?). Higher ups should be made of her inabbilities.
    An employee can't act on the type of info that you have (regarding wage). It is a fireable offence without recourse.

    Do you get benefits?? That is worth a huge amount of $$. Steve may have to pay for his own as a contractor. He may even deduct his own taxes. I doubt that part.
    Your company beleives that they may be saving money. Would you like to pay for 100%, 50% or 10% of your medical.
    It feels chitty. MANY employees feel that health insurance is a right. It's not.
    Sack up and eat it or rock the bike.

    A woman at my work knew the samething. A $0.50 differance. I couldn't afford to lose her for that. I could have fired her and her husband on the spot.
    Last edited by noslogan; 07-05-2005 at 08:09 AM. Reason: remebered something

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    someone

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Sounds like Steve does the same work that you do?
    Shawn made a mistake, that deserves a repramand(sp?). Higher ups should be made of her inabbilities.
    An employee can't act on the type of info that you have (regarding wage). It is a fireable offence without recourse.

    Do you get benefits?? That is worth a huge amount of $$. Steve may have to pay for his own as a contractor. He may even deduct his own taxes. I doubt that part.
    Your company beleives that they may be saving money. Would you like to pay for 100%, 50% or 10% of your medical.
    It feels chitty. MANY employees feel that health insurance is a right. It's not.
    Sack up and eat it or rock the bike.
    PALEASE correct me.
    I was involved something very similar.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    no IT

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Sounds like Steve does the same work that you do?
    Shawn made a mistake, that deserves a repramand(sp?). Higher ups should be made of her inabbilities.
    An employee can't act on the type of info that you have (regarding wage). It is a fireable offence without recourse.

    Do you get benefits?? That is worth a huge amount of $$. Steve may have to pay for his own as a contractor. He may even deduct his own taxes. I doubt that part.
    Your company beleives that they may be saving money. Would you like to pay for 100%, 50% or 10% of your medical.
    It feels chitty. MANY employees feel that health insurance is a right. It's not.
    Sack up and eat it or rock the bike.
    No, this Steve guy is not IT or graphics. He's a copywriter who I have to correct typos, grammatical erros, and such.

    it is just starting to suck here. Moreale is low because of this woman.

    My medical just kicked in.

    I should key a blue Accord.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    Cool-blue Rhythm Can you wear shades?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    No, this Steve guy is not IT or graphics. He's a copywriter who I have to correct typos, grammatical erros, and such.

    it is just starting to suck here. Moreale is low because of this woman.

    My medical just kicked in.

    I should key a blue Accord.
    Does the future look bright? Or dim? Do you correct via email? Can you be a contractor for someone?
    Are you left brain or right brain? Right would graphics, left would be IT and correcting others errors.
    I ride with some graphic designers. A two person company. All their work is done via email. Not a lot of money because there are many designers. Big risk to go SOLO.
    Can you be your own boss?
    But, they are happy. They design for FSA and Orbea. They get to travel to Spain quite frequently. AND GET TO RIDE ALL THE TIME.
    I have NO solo abilities that I'm aware of. I would either have to be an empolyee or employ others to do a job.
    My business has been sucking for several years. I think that I could opperate one of those hot dog carts on the boardwalk. But, I'd have to hire a beach bum to advertise for me.

  6. #6
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    flip out

    stand up where everyone can see you and say the following:

    Ernesto: "Well, don't worry. Don't worry. I'm not gonna to do what you all think I'm gonna to do, which is just FLIP OUT! But let me just, let me just say, as I ease out of the office I helped build -- I'm sorry, but it's a FACT! -- that there is such a thing as manners -- a way of treating people.

    [Notice the fish tank nearby]

    These fish have manners. These fish have manners. In fact, they're coming with me. I'm starting a new company, and the fish will come with me. You can call me sentimental. The fish -- they're coming with me.

    [grab a fire-tailed Peruvian beauty fish with a cup and dump the fish inside a baggie]

    Okay. If anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the moment of something real, and FUN, and inspiring in this god-forsaken business, and we will do it together.

    Who's comin' with me? Who's coming with me? Who's coming with me besides "Flipper," here?

    Hollywood: "I will go with you."

    Ernesto: "Hollywood, thank you! We'll see you all again. Sleep tight."

    then go ride your bike.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    suckage...

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Does the future look bright?
    not here with this chick. if she were let go, it would come back to normal. When I started here in Dec., everyone was equal. But ever since she's been here, she's divided nonexempt and exempt employees into two different breeds. Really sucks. its like I need permission to go to the warehouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Or dim?
    Dim if this crap goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Do you correct via email?
    No, I have to work for this place here, or at home when i have too many things to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Can you be a contractor for someone?
    Yes, I am a contractor for other companies. I do that in my time.

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Are you left brain or right brain?
    Both, I'm a leftie who can do creative and IT. And I ride a fixie.

    I freelance under AdventureFind, which I own. I work for White industries that way and other companies you might see under my list in AdventureFind.
    I wish AdventureFind was my source of income. Unfortunately, I'm a one man shop and none of my friends or family is willing to help, that's why I started HBFK, a sarcastic/funny idea into t-shirts.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    thanks HW

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

    Ernesto: "Hollywood, thank you! We'll see you all again. Sleep tight."

    then go ride your bike.
    Thanks man! I wish I had to balls to hold back with a monologoe like that one...but I much rather go nuclear a la baseball bat.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    A friend of mine got a new manager, the type that like rules, and doesn't believe he's doing a good job unless everyone is unhappy with him (old school!). My friend got ridden pretty hard, mostly because he understands his customers that are in different time zones, and needs attention not covered by the new rules. He wanted to quit real bad (several did). But he stuck it out, now that manager is gone, and there's a new one that's great.

    Poor managers "usually" get removed, but it can take some time. You have to decide weither you want to stick it out or not.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    gotcha

    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    A friend of mine got a new manager, the type that like rules, and doesn't believe he's doing a good job unless everyone is unhappy with him (old school!). My friend got ridden pretty hard, mostly because he understands his customers that are in different time zones, and needs attention not covered by the new rules. He wanted to quit real bad (several did). But he stuck it out, now that manager is gone, and there's a new one that's great.

    Poor managers "usually" get removed, but it can take some time. You have to decide weither you want to stick it out or not.
    Gotcha. One thing about this place. it's got a shower. it's 17 miles from home. Roads are nice and mostly desolate when school's out.

    The place I interviewed at (www.buyseasons.com) is ultra-cool. But there's no shower, and its 27 miles of unruly roads. The position deals much with search engine optimization and marketing for the company. Dream job. But also, $$$ talks.

  11. #11
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    Some options I see.

    A- Confront the ***** again and offer to either be hired as a contractor on Steve's terms and better (as you're correcting his work and could do all yourself anyway), or just leave. A bit of a risk, but a great way to leave with your nose in the air, making some noise. Sucks that your wife has a job there as well though.

    B- send everyone concerned an anonimous email (or under your name, if that's your style. Don't tell what going on, but describe that you found out something you wish you would'nt and what it did to your morale. Show of hands who wants a new manager. At least when you've got supporters, you're safer to get out in the open with it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,823
    You work because you need to finance your cycling habit, right?

    Step back, have a deep breath and let it go. Quitting due to problems with a manager shouldn't be an option. I did it a couple of years ago and lost a lot of money and benefits in the process.

    I participated on something close Cloxxi's B approach and almost got fired in the process. Bad managers have a way to stay alive and the rope always break on the weakest spot if you know what I mean. Give it some time and let destiny take care of that SOB.

    Remember that what goes around comes around.

  13. #13
    Penis Goat!
    Reputation: GirchyGirchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    B- send everyone concerned an anonimous email (or under your name, if that's your style. Don't tell what going on, but describe that you found out something you wish you would'nt and what it did to your morale. Show of hands who wants a new manager. At least when you've got supporters, you're safer to get out in the open with it.
    Very bad idea, IMO.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    interviewing

    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    You work because you need to finance your cycling habit, right?

    Step back, have a deep breath and let it go. Quitting due to problems with a manager shouldn't be an option. I did it a couple of years ago and lost a lot of money and benefits in the process.

    I participated on something close Cloxxi's B approach and almost got fired in the process. Bad managers have a way to stay alive and the rope always break on the weakest spot if you know what I mean. Give it some time and let destiny take care of that SOB.

    Remember that what goes around comes around.
    I'm with you. No, its not the bikig habit (that's why I ride SS, less parts to mess with), its supporting my family, paying the mortgage, etc.

    I'm going to ride it out as far as I can. I did have an interview and I have two more in the process...problem I have ethically is that we're in the middle of catalog production...if I quit/2 week notice, I will be the jerk then...but I don't care though. I'm the one who always gets the short end of the stick with this manager.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,926

    keep cool

    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    What to do? I trust you guys with your advice, I need to know what to do…

    So two weeks ago, I confronted the VP of Sales and Marketing after a heated discussion regarding the production of our catalog…to make a long story short, she’s not a leader. I know what a leader is. A leader treats her employees with respect, and gets under the skin with a positive attitude, not attitudes that will make someone start looking for another job…

    Anyway, this is what happened. My wife, Sarah, works for us part time since she’s a graphic designer and we needed the help. The VP of Sales and Marketing pulled off a most idiotic act. She emailed Sarah a contractor’s time sheet (the contractor’s name is Steve and works off site) to use as a guide. Keep in mind though, that my Sarah is a professional graphic designer, and she’s more than smart enough to make her own, understandable time sheet.

    Sarah sent me an instant message saying: I didn’t know Steve made $20/hr?
    Me: how do you know?
    Sarah; Shawn sent me his time sheet…

    So she broke a rule of HR, gets paid twice what I make, and just sucks at everything.

    I confronted her about the time sheet…she claims it was a fluke.
    Shawn: but I saved the email, then I forwarded it to her!
    me: Shawn, it doesn't matter, you broke a rule of HR.
    Shawn: how's it possible that she can see what Steve makes?
    me: its in the excel sheet, Shawn. You forwarded an email to her.

    She knows nothing about computers and didn’t even know where her jump drive that the company got her went. AAAA!!!!!

    I have very low morale right now. I feel like I am working for free. I bust my ass every day for a meager rations…

    Help!
    Have your wife reply to Shawn (being sure to keep the original contents) thanking her for the help in making a time sheet and for including a complete example of how it's done. And CC the same to Shawn's boss and HR.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    Hr

    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Have your wife reply to Shawn (being sure to keep the original contents) thanking her for the help in making a time sheet and for including a complete example of how it's done. And CC the same to Shawn's boss and HR.
    Funny, Shawn is HR.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,823
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Have your wife reply to Shawn (being sure to keep the original contents) thanking her for the help in making a time sheet and for including a complete example of how it's done. And CC the same to Shawn's boss and HR.
    Excellent idea, let her burn herself up.

Similar Threads

  1. (OT) Way OT, But I like Firefox!
    By imjps in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
  2. sort of OT: web browsers, what's good?
    By moschika in forum Passion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
  3. OT Any surfers here?
    By bob in forum Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •