Steamroller

OT - commuter warning

I wanted to pass this on to those of you who commute. Cleats and ecalators can be a very dangerous combination! I was at the hospital in LA last night to visit my dad and a guy came up hopping along half way on a road bike with his left leg and an obviously very badly broken ankle dangling over one side. I helped him get up the long ramp into the ER.

Apparently the guy is a commuter who rides part of his commute and takes the underground train for part. As he was on the escalator going up or down his cleat got caught badly. I noticed he had speedplay pedals on his bike, same as I use on my roadie. I can see where this could be unique to his particular cleats or it could be hazardous with any cleats. You can bet I won't be wearing shoes with cleats near any escalators.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Just Ride!
    [size=3]Man, that sounds very painful and I can't imagine his reaction when he was trying to pry his shoe free. I commute a lot and use spd's but I it's recessed in the sole so hopefully if I do encounter an escalator it won't be an issue.[/size]

www.jollypumpkin.com
    Jan 2004

Eggbeaters

I commute every day to work and climb 2 sets of escalators to get to my desk. Haven't had a problem however I wear shoes with tread that comes down as low as the Eggbeater cleat bottom. That would definitely put you off the bike for a while.

Steamroller

My ankle took seven weeks to heal

Quote Originally Posted by habanero
    I commute every day to work and climb 2 sets of escalators to get to my desk. Haven't had a problem however I wear shoes with tread that comes down as low as the Eggbeater cleat bottom. That would definitely put you off the bike for a while.
    I just had a broken ankle a couple months ago, it was seven weeks off the bike for me. This poor guy's ankle was broken way worse than mine, I could tell that by looking. I'm guessing he'll be out much longer.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]