mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Osymetric chainring on singlespeed

I am in a process of building my first SS bike (chinese carbon) and I'd like to run osymetric chainrings (Rotor, Q-rings, etc). I can't seem to find any MTB specific parts out there. Is anyone running them on SS?

mtbr member
    You don't need MTB specific chainrings. Just something that will fit your spider.

They are made with common 104/64 4-bolt arrangement, though: Bike24 - Rotor Q-Rings MTB Chainring Set 104/64mm 44-33-23 Teeth

I'm reviving an old Raleigh with an oval chainring and I plan to run it singlespeed. Sheldon Brown says chain tension doesn't give you trouble with this setup. I'll post back if I run into any.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gauge View Post
    I am in a process of building my first SS bike (chinese carbon) and I'd like to run osymetric chainrings (Rotor, Q-rings, etc). I can't seem to find any MTB specific parts out there. Is anyone running them on SS?
    First, i think some of your terminology is off.

When you say, "osymetric" above i think what you mean is "ovalized".

And when you say "(Rotor, Qrings, etc.)", they are actually the same thing = Rotor makes the ovalized Qrings

Also, another company that makes ovalized rings is Osymetric. They make chainrings that tend to have even a more radical ovalization than the Qrings.

In any event, to answer your question, Rotor makes a SS MTB specific Qring in a 34t. The only reason it is SS specific is because it has no shifting ramps or pins. Myself and many others here have used it...i think it works great. I won the Pro SS class at the Tahoe Sierra 100 mile MTB race this year using it.

If you go to Rotor's website it's right there along with all their other MTB rings.

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

mtbr member
    I've always wondered if one of these rings requires a tensioner to compensate? I get enough tight/loose spots just from my freehub. I couldn't imagine adding an ovalized ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I've always wondered if one of these rings requires a tensioner to compensate? I get enough tight/loose spots just from my freehub. I couldn't imagine adding an ovalized ring.
    Amen, brother.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I run an old biopace crank (converted to SS) on an old steel novara moutain bike. There are no chain tension issues whatsoever (39x15).

I'm not suggesting that you run biopace, but it just goes to show that ovalized chainrings work great on SS, and as the chain tension goes there is nothing to worry about.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Amen, brother.

SPP
    No tensioner or chain guide needed with a Rotor Q-Ring. It's very easy to set-up. I snapped this picture just after I finished the Tahoe-Sierra 100 race. No problems at all, or ever.