I'm gonna have to kill ya

Good job! OnOne Scandal - 1 Year On!

Well some of you may remember my pimpage of my OnOne Scandal SS build here and here. Well it has been a year now so I thought I would post an update and mini review of some of the parts.

The bike itself continues to shrug off everything I throw at it despite is servile weight and truly is the best bike I have owned.

I am still debating the move to the lefty, the fork is awesome and compliments the bike and with a proper lockout it rides like a rigid for the climbs. However I ride locked out more than suspended and I miss the simplicity of the rigid. With winter coming along and the muddy wet UK weather already with us I yearn for my rigid fork. I may build a second front wheel and have both options.

My weight weenie-ism is still sort of there but function has started to override weight now.

My KCNC cranks have gone, they performed well and were very light but I could not cure a crank to BB click, dropping a further 250 on a different cranks and binning the 275 originals to cure a click seems daft to my no riding mates but it was driving me mad!

So the KCNCs were replaced with some Middleburn x-types which were a bit heavier but wow are they stiff! I didn't realise how flexy my KCNC ones were until now. So a bit of weight there but worth it. I am still usung my ISAR ring but am waiting for Middleurn to release an UNO to fit the x-type as the spider is reeeeeally heavy so with an UNO the chainset will be light enough.

My KCNC prolite post has to be greased after every ride as it starts clicking then creaking after a few rides, I may swap this out for a Thompson Masterpiece (again more weight but if it shuts it up).

The Sella Italia SLR has been surprisingly comfortable and no bent Ti rails yet!

My Race Face SL carbon riser bars at 160g have been perfect, I do feel I would be beter with more sweep but trying to find a light riser bar with more tha 9 degree seep seems to be a mission. My shoulders aren't that broad so my wrists are not sitting naturally and ache a little after a long ride

The bike gained some of those custom ti eggbeater spindles to save 50g or so and the pedals on the whole have been fine, I swapped the bushes when I did the spindles and my cleats finally need replacing.

My Rocket Ron 2.1 tyres have done very well as all year tyres, they are a bit of a thorn magnet in the autumn but some home made self sealing tubes sorted that out. They did however suck the big one on wet rock, roots and the solid chalk trails we have here. I have finally swapped them for the renowned 2.2 Race King Supersonics which should give me some much need butt relief and at a lowish psi stop me bouncing off rocks etc on climbs and spinning out on the chalk. Time will tell as I only fitted them today.

The 350g Sun Ringle EQ21 rims that I was bit nervous about have stayed true dispite the battering they get from being on a ridgid (now HT) SS bike and I would recommend them highly even with DT Rev spokes the wheels have been awesome and not missed a beat. The Hope Pro2 hubs have been faultless and even after I rode during some floods and the bike was under 2 feet of water I only needed to swap the bearings once (due to the flood riding).

The OneOne scandal frame amazes me everyday, it is stiff enough without feeling harsh and at 1500g for 200 brand new it is my best purchase!

My Formula k18 brakes I got on the cheap and were light enough, they work well and although not the best stoppers have been solid performers and excellent for the price. I want some all black R1s but just cant justify 330 over my current ones that do the job. One day

Gears, my single 32:18 is still rocking my world, I am powering up hills faster and faster leaving my geared mates in my wake, I would like to go up a gear as I spin out a bit on flats but it is a hilly old area where I live and on the long rides I like to do 25-40 miles after 20 miles in I start to suffer as it is. ISARs ring and cog is awesome and the rear cog allways gets attention for it's two piece design.

So all good, no regrets from ditching the FS geared bike which has long gone (owned by a guy in Switzerland who does Freeride MTB tours of the mountains, so went to an awesome home).

I love the simplicity of riding SS I feel like a cross country runner, I feel more in touch with my body as any change in trail surface, tyre pressure etc I can directly feel in my quads. Oh and the silence (bar KCNC trying to ruin it for me) of a SS, with only the crunch of the trail and the heaving of your breath.

Cheers for all your advice people happy riding

Oh and I am a firm believer of TTIWWP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OnOne Scandal - 1 Year On!-dsc06272_800x600.jpg  

OnOne Scandal - 1 Year On!-dsc06271_800x600.jpg  

OnOne Scandal - 1 Year On!-dsc06276_800x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks very nice, I've got a 2nd Gen Inbred 29er on the way, the frames aren't due in for a month so I might consider a Scandal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another happy Scandal fan here. I've had mine for about a year as well and it is still my favorite bike to ride (I also have a Salsa Big Mama). The frame is definitely a dark horse, very light (small 3.25 lbs) though compliant for being an aluminum based frame.

Low Rep Count
    Wow, I am likin this! Love the black/gold combo and the fact that it is flat black! So the Alu doesn't beat you up too much huh? I have debated this back and forth for a while now and have simply stuck with my steel ride since I can't seem to decide. (actually since I don't have the funds either) Nice weight for a suspended 29er I might add!

mtbr member

Love my Scandal

I'm a SS and 29'er junkie, I have a steel Surly Katate Monkey SS, a Scandal SS and a Lynskey Pro29 SS (and my wife has an aluminium Jamis SS).

The Monkey although a good commuter bike has been stripped and shelved - it doesn't stack up.

The Lynskey I keep that for 100k races - it rides like a dream and at 10kg it is quick.

The Scandal is just fun. It's quick, responsive and climbs really well. The Scandal is flickable while the KM isn't. I also prefer the Scandal over the KM off road because the Scandal's doesn't feel as harsh - I can't explain it but it does.
    Go Big or Go Home

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666
    With winter coming along and the muddy wet UK weather already with us I yearn for my rigid fork. I may build a second front wheel and have both options.
    Dude, why not have a custom rigid strut made, and use the Lefty wheel and clamps? It would basically just need to be an tube with a Lefty axle at one end.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Dude, why not have a custom rigid strut made, and use the Lefty wheel and clamps? It would basically just need to be an tube with a Lefty axle at one end.
    I would love one, I did see a post on this forum with a link to some custom rigid lefties

Oh and she is a 26er the small frame and balloon tyres make it look 29er ish ;o)