Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Candlestick Maker

On One Mary / Jones H-Bar

Mini-review / pics

OK, I've had both the Jones H-Bar (straight extensions) and On One Mary for a while now. I've put quite a few miles on both bars and thought I'd give a mini-review.

The H-bar has been on my On One Inbred, riding the entire Fruita 18 hour relay race, 1 lap at 24 hours of Steamboat Springs and many training/fun rides.

I got the Mary a bit later, but have ridden many miles commuting, training, and 5 laps at 24 Hours of Steamboat Springs.

This isn't really an apples to apples comparison, because I've had the H-bar on a singlespeed and the Mary on geared bikes (my cross check and my phobia anxiety hardtail).

Anyway, the bottom line is that I like both bars.

The multiple hand positions of the h-bar rule for long rides and 24 hour races. I am using the same length stem that I had with a straight bar. Just recently, I have felt a little tug to move to a longer stem. Maybe soon...

The Mary bar feels more "natural." I don't know how to explain that, but the feel is just better in the main position. Maybe it is the particular bike setup, stem length, whatever. On the other hand, the positions are limited. On the endless climb at Steamboat Springs, I kept looking for that stretched out position that was missing. For commuting and general riding, though, this bar rocks.

Here are a couple pics...

baker
    Attached Images Attached Images

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Thanks Baker. I'm sure that there are many out there that are contemplating whether to get the Mary or Jones. I got the Jones over a month ago and I'm happy with my decision. I like the many hand positions it offers.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Steamroller

Some more info

I also have and like both bars and have similar observations though I'm sure I have less miles on them than you. On a recent trip to Oregon I had a chance to stop by the Jones shop and hang out for a while. I got a quick look at some drawings of what I think are the bars that Titec may produce under license from Jeff. If I remember right they had some forward sweep and/or rise like the Marys allowing the same stem to be used, but with the forward extensions and hand positions of the H-bar. I did not ask when they were supposed to be available or what the price would be, I'm not sure Jeff even knows that.

Jeff is definately an inovator, I saw about six or seven of his bikes made over a few years. Each bike was different and improved from the previous ones. I'm sure we will see more cool bikes, forks and bars from him. I got my name on his list for a bike which he estimates is 3 years off, when my turn comes, if I can't afford to get it or decide I don't need it, I'll sell my spot in line on ebay
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Reviewer/Tester
    I like some of the Jones frames, but a 3 year waiting list is a bit much for me..

I have been thinking about going back into the bike building business myself again, actually.

I used to build them years ago, when everything was made from steel.

Maybe it's time I got my gear together and started up again. At least it would keep me out of trouble...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

Steel H-bar thingie

I just posted this in the official funky bar thread, but here it is again: Has anyone thought of making (or maybe already made) a homemade steel bar? Does anyone do these custom for not too much dough? I've got an old Manitou HT that I have set up as a single speed cross bike right now with Nitto Dirt-drops, and I have an old Trek 2100 frame that I have set up with lo-pro bars for my fixie-ing. The lady of the hizouse says I have to unload some bikes, and I'd like to keep the Manitou for both (flip-flop ENO).

I'm wondering if I couldn't come up with a bar that is essentially an H-bar, but with 15 mm straight forward extensions a la a lo-pro bar. Figuring if it was made out of a decent steel, it could be pretty cheap for a shweet custom bar. The steel would give the resiliency that the ti h-bar gives, just a bit heavier. Anyone done this (or something similar)?

I've got a friend who could do it, but it would take forever to get done.

Rainman, you interested in breaking out the welder with a project like this?

-Sean

Reviewer/Tester
    Hmmm, could be, although i'm sure you are going to run foul of the Jones patent with that shape.

You would need to have a look at his patent application before you go ahead.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

I'm just doing this for myself

Henry James has 600 mm sections of True temper verus butted tubing for $8. For about $25 (with tax and shipping), plus labor, this could be done cheap. I think it would be extra cool to have each extension be from one piece of tubing (i.e. manipulated at a 135 (or so) degree angle), with one weld like the H-bar.

I think the ideal center area of the bar would be about 46 cm, with the rear facing portion being about 15 cm long, and the forward lo-pro sections being about the same, but perhaps curved inward a bit to approximate my 42 cm lo-pros (I know it wouldn't be perfect, but I think I could ride with and virtual 44). This would have the overall width of the bars at the widest part (center to center) at about 66 cm (a little bit narrower than the H-bar).

To be super wacky, I'd like to put a reverse aero brake lever for the front brake on the lo-pro extension (for when I'm fixin' for fixed), and some regular pull brakes regular h-bar style for 'cross action.

This brings up another point, in how to route the brake cable. It seems it would work with a 'cross style top lever (which allows the cable to go through to the aero lever), but the cross top levers aren't long enough to reach the rearward facing angled part of the bar.

I wouldn't plan on making more than one of these. I could e-mail Jeff to see if he'd let me do it, though I really don't think he'd mind for one putz on a '94 Manitou Hardtail singlespeed cyclocross/fixed gear monstrosity.

-Sean

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

no worries

I think an individual can make whatever he can make, patented or not, for his own use. It's when you start selling them that lawyers get interested. go for it

Recovering couch patato
    Maybe I'm missing the retro point, but with such a bars, wouldn't you always have too short or too long a reach, where-ever you grab the bar?

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Hmmm, could be, although i'm sure you are going to run foul of the Jones patent with that shape.

You would need to have a look at his patent application before you go ahead.

R.
    Did his patent get granted? I heard of a claim of prior art in the UK at least, but I never saw pictures. Jones's lawyer was vigourously defending his client (as he has to do in patent claims) which put us off making a welded bar, but having built the thing, we're still totally happy with the way we construct Mary and wouldn't change a thing.
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

Making a patented article for you own use

As a patent attorney, I feel compelled to tell you that a nonauthorized making of a patented item, even only for personal use, is an act of infringement. That being said, the likelihood of a patentee/assignee/licensee suing an individual for making an infringing product only for personal use is very low.

mtbr member
    Just wondering... If Jones' lawyer contacted Brant about the Mary bars, how in the world will Jericho get away with the bars they had at Sea Otter?

Anything Noteable at Sea Otter?

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    Just wondering... If Jones' lawyer contacted Brant about the Mary bars, how in the world will Jericho get away with the bars they had at Sea Otter?

Anything Noteable at Sea Otter?

Read that thread it was discussed in there. something about the specifics of Jones's patent.

It is nice to see a patent attourney chiming in. I was surprised at what goes into those documents, and how much is actually coverable.

law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

Chiming in

Until now, I've avoided chiming in as a "patent attorney" and ignored the various opinions about whether something should be patented or how things should be.

I just felt the previous poster's misperception of the patent law should be addressed so people don't think they can misappropriate someone's property just because they are using it themselves and not selling it.

By the way, I've read Jeff Jone's application and it seems to be a well drafted application. Additionally, although I was initially taken aback by the scope of its claims, I'm not aware of any anticipatory prior art.

brother on a mission
    Just to be clear I was sincere when I wrote, "It is nice to see a patent attourney chiming in". I like a good lawyer joke as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate what you guys do.

Recovering couch patato
    I used to work with patents a bit, though unfortunately not as a lawyer.

Looks to me the ITM Retro bar (as on Kona Hot Rod) blocks or infringes with Jeff's application. Long steel bar bent around and welded to a centre bar that is clamped to a stem.
    It seems to have hit the market just before the H was published, although for Jeff I hope he was first.

If indeed ITM was fisrt, regardless of the apparently unpatented British bar, this bar design looks free for everyone to use as they please. It will be hard to ever patent a new bar layout after these bars.

law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

No offense taken

I had no doubt of your sincerity. I like a good lawyer joke to.

law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

Not enough information

As your comments suggest, without more information we can only speculate as to the patentability of the Jones bar. Neverthelss, assuming that the ITM bar is prior art, it most likely does not "anticipate" (in its patent law sense) all of Jones' claims. BTW, his application, as published, has 20 claims.

DAS
    mtbr member

Mary bars, what stem?

I just ordered a Mary bar. Does anyone suggest I use the same stem I would normally run with riser bars? Shorter, longer stem?

thanks.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by DAS
    I just ordered a Mary bar. Does anyone suggest I use the same stem I would normally run with riser bars? Shorter, longer stem?

thanks.
    From the On One site ( http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/mary.shtml ):

"The bar sweeps forward 2in or so from the bar centre to allow you to run the same length stem you've got at the moment, and not need a stem swap."

baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Mary bar looks similar to the roadster bars that used to be fitted to UK non-sporting bikes.

I recently fitted an old roadster bar to my single speed Fuji Track bike (for road use) and I reckon it's worth 2 teeth on the rear sprocket on hills.

I'll get round to ordering a Mary bar for my MTB
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member

thanks.
    I used my original stem, as Brandt suggested. It works for me!

brother on a mission

thanks.
    I use the same stem I used with my riser.

Some folks used a longer stem, but I think the majority of those riders were running the grips dropped a bit. I run mine pretty much parallel to the ground.

By the way, I have now had some significant time with the Mary bar, and I love them. Great on the climbs, nice and stable on descents, I find it easier to loft the front end over obstacles or particularly gnarly roots on technical climbs. They are very nice. I would recommend a cushy grip, and be sure to fasten the grips to the bars well. While riding there is some force on the grips in teh same direction you would pull to pull them off the bar.

Here is a pic (the measurements were for someone that was interested in the width of the bars)

Kill your... television
    Where are ya gonna put the brake levers?

Moto
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks Baker

for the comparison. Thanks also for the Spicer fork info a while back. I got one of the last ones and am very pleased with it.

The Mary bar suits my ergonomics well and I find it to be a really comfortable bar. I started off with my current Thomson 5 degree stem, Salsa grips and running the bar level. Now I have the Thomson flipped over, my good old Oury's and bar tilted just a bit down from level and this seems to work the best for me. You're right, it does have a natural fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast